Craftsman tools.

Lucas invented the dual beam headlight - dim and flicker

Follow-up #1:

I rotated the tires on my Element Sunday. A couple were pretty tight and "creaked" before they let go.

I put a light dab of anti-seize on the tapered shoulder of the lug nuts - not the threads. It may be a year or two before I rotate again (200,000 miles is the next landmark), so it will be a while before I know if it has any effect. I suppose it can't hurt.

Follow-up #1:

I rotated the tires on my Element Sunday. A couple were pretty tight and "creaked" before they let go.

I put a light dab of anti-seize on the tapered shoulder of the lug nuts - not the threads. It may be a year or two before I rotate again (200,000 miles is the next landmark), so it will be a while before I know if it has any effect. I suppose it can't hurt.
Let us know if they come off on their own before next rotation.

Last edited:
Follow-up #2:

You may recall I bent a 1/2 breaker bar while removing our Jeep's lug nuts.

Took it to Knoxville with us a few weeks ago, with the intent of exchanging it for a new one.

First stop was the Sears in the West Hills Mall. Surprisingly, they did not stock that breaker bar.

On the way home, stopped by the Maryville Sears. Also no 1/2" breaker bar to exchange for.

The fellow there said he'd order me one to be shipped to my home. For some reason that failed for him. So he gave me a gift card to use to order one online.

When I got home, the site would not accept the gift card, so I had to call to place the order. They said they'd deliver it to our nearest store by Jan 19th. That got delayed and I got an email that it arrived at the store a couple days ago for me to pick up.

If you've stayed with this boring account thus far, I think you'll agree that an unlimited warranty is less valuable when you have to jump through this many hoops - all for a lousy $12 tool. If my time actually had any value, I might feel I came out losing on the deal!

Follow-up #2:
If you've stayed with this boring account thus far, I think you'll agree that an unlimited warranty is less valuable when you have to jump through this many hoops - all for a lousy $12 tool. If my time actually had any value, I might feel I came out losing on the deal!

It appears that they don't even have them on the Sears web page anymore. 3/4 and 1/4 but no 1/2... Maybe you can get it exchanged at Ace hardware?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35468446

For what it's worth, I am astounded by the performance of my 1/2" breaker bar from Harbor Freight. I was installing a crankshaft pulley bolt that required 150 ft-lb plus an additional 180º turn... getting that 180º was a real SOB. I had to put a 6 foot fence pole over the breaker bar handle... got the job done and had no damage afterwards.

Thanks! I'll ask next time I'm in the Blue Ridge store.

Ahh memories! When I lived there that's all they had in BR. No Lowes in Ellijay yet, and no Home Depot in BR. Ace had some cool stuff in there, as well as the ACE in Blairsville.

Yeah, I have one in my set. Can't say I've ever had a use for it... a lot of sets skip that size.
Work on enough stuff, and you'll use it, along with a 30mm, and 28mm, and various other odd stuff.
I've found that there are many sets which skip the 11, 13, 15, 16,17 and 19. And invariably the wrench that's not included is the one you need. I won't buy a set that's not complete, from 7mm to 19mm, or 1/4" to 7/8".

A 7/16 can substitute for an 11, 1/2 for a 13 (if the 1/2 is old and worn), 5/8 may work for a 15, or 16, depending on the tolerance of the 5/8, and the tightness of the bolt, 11/16 can work in lieu of a 17, sometimes, and 3/4 may or may not work for a 19, (depending...).
5/16, and 8mm are virtually interchangeable, and I use whichever my hand hits first, on most occaisions. But Ford Ranger driveshaft bolts I'll grab the 8mm exclusively.

Work on enough stuff, and you'll use it, along with a 30mm, and 28mm, and various other odd stuff.

Oh, I've had this set since 1992-ish. Except the airplane and Suburban, every other vehicle I've had since then has been metric... Volvo-Penta engine in the boat, and cars have been Toyota, Nissan, VW, Audi, or BMW. (BLECH. Wife's choice.) Except for the current Audi which is still under warranty, I do all my own work. If I have not had to use a 16mm in the past 25 years, I doubt I will need it much in the next 25 either. Above 19mm, I do have 22, 24, 30, and 32mm which have seen occasional use, especially the 24.

But yeah, I do like having a complete set even if I have not needed it. Kind of OCD that way... Wife makes fun of me because I hate mismatched sets or sets with things missing. I occasionally audit the silverware drawer and backfill the missing pieces from Ebay...

Oh, I've had this set since 1992-ish. Except the airplane and Suburban, every other vehicle I've had since then has been metric... Volvo-Penta engine in the boat, and cars have been Toyota, Nissan, VW, Audi, or BMW. (BLECH. Wife's choice.) Except for the current Audi which is still under warranty, I do all my own work. If I have not had to use a 16mm in the past 25 years, I doubt I will need it much in the next 25 either. Above 19mm, I do have 22, 24, 30, and 32mm which have seen occasional use, especially the 24.

But yeah, I do like having a complete set even if I have not needed it. Kind of OCD that way... Wife makes fun of me because I hate mismatched sets or sets with things missing. I occasionally audit the silverware drawer and backfill the missing pieces from Ebay...
I too had a boat with Volvo-Penta, smoothest shift, and virtually trouble free. (I didn't really like the trim system though) Not a metric nut, bolt, or screw on it. I don't remember exactly which vehicles I was working on, but I've found several that required a 16mm in places. IIRC the Mercedes did on the rear suspension.

It appears that they don't even have them on the Sears web page anymore. 3/4 and 1/4 but no 1/2... Maybe you can get it exchanged at Ace hardware?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35468446

For what it's worth, I am astounded by the performance of my 1/2" breaker bar from Harbor Freight. I was installing a crankshaft pulley bolt that required 150 ft-lb plus an additional 180º turn... getting that 180º was a real SOB. I had to put a 6 foot fence pole over the breaker bar handle... got the job done and had no damage afterwards.
My Kobalt 1/2" breaker bar has hung in there through quite a bit of abuse.

My C6 Vette had a weird mix of both SAE and metric fasteners, with the occasional Torx thrown in. I always had to grab a big handful of combination wrenches before I slid under that car...sux to have to slide out to get another tool!

My C6 Vette had a weird mix of both SAE and metric fasteners, with the occasional Torx thrown in. I always had to grab a big handful of combination wrenches before I slid under that car...sux to have to slide out to get another tool!

Corvettes are pretty low, you must be really skinny!

C6 on jack stands, of course! :)

For the record, I am skinny, except for my pasta gut. :rolleyes:

C6 on jack stands, of course! :)

For the record, I am skinny, except for my pasta gut. :rolleyes:
There is a cure for that, but craftsman doesn't make a tool that will make it easy.

Back