CPO : A Pilot in Training : This is my Journey

You want good optical quality sunglasses.

Great point. One I completely failed to even mention. Testing optical quality is another beast altogether. I believe inexpensive glasses can have great optical quality/clarity, but it's a crap shoot. I suppose that's the one thing you are more guaranteed of with the expensive ones. For example, I have no idea who makes the lenses for these glasses, but like just about everything else, there's a factory that makes lenses for about a billion different brand names! ;-)

I did some quick tests with a laser, and also a clarity chart, and I can't see any notable difference from my Oakleys...but I am sure there is more to it than I am seeing (pun slightly intended).

Mike has had crap weather, crap time and crap money since December. It's funny, I have been following the forums but not posting much, when I watched the video about the flight training triangle I felt a connection..I have been telling my wife, who has been bugging me to go fly, that you have to have three things, time, weather and money, I haven't had all three at the same time. I feel bad now that I haven't been contributing. CPO, you seem a lot like me, in that you are really doing a lot of self study, that's good, it really will make a difference in the end at how well prepared you are. Henning is right too that you will cut many hours off your training time by doing so. I hit the " to hell with this " point about mid-solo, it was a gut check and I had to just plow through it. I had a great instructor, but you CANT learn it all from them, study, study, study and ask lots of questions. Ok, rambling over. I too will be watching your progress, but you will do fine.

So it turns out...getting "Operative Notes" from a surgery in 2006 is harder than I expected. I guess they are only required to keep them for 7 years, and the surgery center has already purged my records. I'm trying a few other options...but I imagine this would be a common occurrence, right? I'd still like to try and find them, though.

Great point. One I completely failed to even mention. Testing optical quality is another beast altogether. I believe inexpensive glasses can have great optical quality/clarity, but it's a crap shoot. I suppose that's the one thing you are more guaranteed of with the expensive ones. For example, I have no idea who makes the lenses for these glasses, but like just about everything else, there's a factory that makes lenses for about a billion different brand names! ;-)

I did some quick tests with a laser, and also a clarity chart, and I can't see any notable difference from my Oakleys...but I am sure there is more to it than I am seeing (pun slightly intended).

I have always liked my Maui Jims, I've been flying with rose ones since they came out. Lot's of people are against polarization, I won't go without it myself.

Thing about using a laser is you only have one wavelength of light, not the whole spectrum, so there is a whole prismatic issue unaddressed.

Last edited:
I have always liked my Maui Jims, I've been flying with rose ones since they came out. Lot's of people are against polarization, I won't go without it myself.

Thing about using a laser is you only have one wavelength of light, not the whole spectrum, so there is a whole prismatic issue unaddressed.

I personally don't like my polarized lenses, so I am definitely going without the polarization. I remember being back seat in a CAP plane trying to pull up the TAC on my iPad, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on. Then it dawned on me...it was on...but I couldn't see it. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to have to deal with polarized lenses. Not sure what I'll be flying a a couple of years, but I know I'll eventually get trained on glass...so better safe than sorry.

I actually have two more pairs of sunglasses coming to me to try out. I'll have them this week:

Ray-Ban RB3342 Warrior with driver's gradient lenses
- haven't seen much on these.
Serengeti Velocity Drivers Gradient Sunglasses
- the old pilot favorite.

I'll compare them against one another, and against my $12 find...and make a decision from there.

As far as Maui Jims...love them! If it wasn't for the fact that they are all polarized, I would be looking at them again. Used to own a pair of super light and flexible glasses from them.

Last edited:
Well, I am not going to pretend I am comfortable in aviation comms yet, but I think its coming along well. I'm a former LEO, so I spent about 12 years of my live talking to dispatchers (atc) and other officers (pilots) on the radio.

Once I know what to say, when to say it, and what to expect to hear, I think it will fall right into place. So I am working on that. I also get exposure to the radio comms via Civil Air Patrol. While not a pilot for them (yet) I still have the benefit of listening and observing to how the pilots interact with others.

Based on your feedback...gonna start listening to LiveATC again. I did it for a while, and quit as my focus shifted. Actually right now I am listening to KDTO based on a recommendation you gave someone else on here about 7 months ago. Its been great, because there are at least two student pilots right now, and you can tell by the way ATC talks to them and gives a "good job" on the landing. :)

First, AIM 4-2-1(c) says that you can use any words you want to use in order to get the message across...there is no "bible" for pilots in any way similar to what is contained in the controller' handbook. Having said that, you will learn a lot by going to www.faa.gov, Advisory Circulars, and reading AC 9042F, Operations at airports without control towers. Some good examples in there.

For pilot-controller comms, you could get my book SAY AGAIN, PLEASE, or go to the faa site and put 7110.65 in the search box. That will provide a link to the controller's handbook, and in it you will find the phraseology that controllers are required to use. For starters, read chapters 2, 3, 5, and 7.

Bob Gardner

I personally don't like my polarized lenses, so I am definitely going without the polarization. I remember being back seat in a CAP plane trying to pull up the TAC on my iPad, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on. Then it dawned on me...it was on...but I couldn't see it. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to have to deal with polarized lenses. Not sure what I'll be flying a a couple of years, but I know I'll eventually get trained on glass...so better safe than sorry.

I actually have two more pairs of sunglasses coming to me to try out. I'll have them this week:

Ray-Ban RB3342 Warrior with driver's gradient lenses
- haven't seen much on these.
Serengeti Velocity Drivers Gradient Sunglasses
- the old pilot favorite.

I'll compare them against one another, and against my $12 find...and make a decision from there.

As far as Maui Jims...love them! If it wasn't for the fact that they are all polarized, I would be looking at them again. Used to own a pair of super light and flexible glasses from them.

I had a G-500 and 430w, and also fly with a 750 stack panel, no issues.

The polarization issue usually comes down to the orientation of the display (or your head). So, turn your ipad the other way, portrait vs. landscape, or turn your head sideways, it should magically appear. They need to develop a polarization proof display, especially for cars/gps etc.

The polarization issue usually comes down to the orientation of the display (or your head). So, turn your ipad the other way, portrait vs. landscape, or turn your head sideways, it should magically appear. They need to develop a polarization proof display, especially for cars/gps etc.

Yeah, I get that...but if I have my ipad in portrait mode, I shouldn't have to rotate it (or my head) to see it. I wanted it in portrait mode for a reason! :)

I agree though...they will probably have to come up with something...you would think.

Yeah, I get that...but if I have my ipad in portrait mode, I shouldn't have to rotate it (or my head) to see it. I wanted it in portrait mode for a reason! :)

I agree though...they will probably have to come up with something...you would think.

Not with my Maui Jims and my iPad air2, I can sit here and read it in either orientation, portrait is actually a bit brighter than landscape.:dunno:

Not with my Maui Jims and my iPad air2, I can sit here and read it in either orientation, portrait is actually a bit brighter than landscape.:dunno:

Hmm. Mine is the original iPad2. Literally black in portrait mode. My nav display in my car is hard to read too... So it's more than just flying that makes me want to ditch the polarized... :-(

Hmm. Mine is the original iPad2. Literally black in portrait mode. My nav display in my car is hard to read too... So it's more than just flying that makes me want to ditch the polarized... :-(

I just looked at my iPad2 with my MJs, and in portrait I have a blotch, but 5° of rotation takes it away.

Alright man!
Tomorrow is the big day!

Looking forward to seeing the video. I bet you are going to be your CFI's most ever prepared student.

Have fun!

Oh no....

Text:FM312000 25016G28KT 6SM -SHRA BKN050 OVC090
Forecast period:2000 to 2300 UTC 31 March 2015
Forecast type:FROM: standard forecast or significant change
Winds:from the WSW (250 degrees) at 18 MPH (16 knots; 8.3 m/s)
gusting to 32 MPH (28 knots; 14.6 m/s)
Visibility:6 miles (10 km)
Ceiling:5000 feet AGL
Clouds:broken clouds at 5000 feet AGL
overcast cloud deck at 9000 feet AGL
Weather:-SHRA (light rain showers)

Oh no....

Text:FM312000 25016G28KT 6SM -SHRA BKN050 OVC090
Forecast period:2000 to 2300 UTC 31 March 2015
Forecast type:FROM: standard forecast or significant change
Winds:from the WSW (250 degrees) at 18 MPH (16 knots; 8.3 m/s)
gusting to 32 MPH (28 knots; 14.6 m/s)
Visibility:6 miles (10 km)
Ceiling:5000 feet AGL
Clouds:broken clouds at 5000 feet AGL
overcast cloud deck at 9000 feet AGL
Weather:-SHRA (light rain showers)

Somebody got up early. :)

Somebody got up early. :)

Ha! I'm always up this early. It the only time I have to do my Statistics coursework and get distracted on the Internet! (Mostly the second part.)

Yeah...on top of all of this flying stuff, my wife convinced me to go back to school for my degree. In the mornings I am working on two-sample hypothesis testing. ;-)

I did send a text to my CFI letting her know I'd be willing to fly 0700-1000 (which appears to be open for her/plane - any winds are not bad this morning) but never heard back. I figured it was a worth a shot. :)

You don't want to be flying in this (25016G28KT) your first lesson. Plus there are MOD Turbulence airmets surface to 10K. You will not enjoy it. http://aviationweather.gov/gairmet
Yeah...thanks! I canceled my reservation for today. Sadly, Thurs and Friday don't look so hot either. There's always a chance it can change over the next couple of days...so holding out hope.

Flight training is a significant test of patience, as has been stated. Good news...its just more stuff I can learn before the first flight. :)

Yeah...thanks! I canceled my reservation for today. Sadly, Thurs and Friday don't look so hot either. There's always a chance it can change over the next couple of days...so holding out hope.

Flight training is a significant test of patience, as has been stated. Good news...its just more stuff I can learn before the first flight. :)

Alas, there are a lot of great things about flying small GA planes in the northeast US... consistent good flying weather is not one of them.

On the upside, sounds like you're ahead of the game on getting and interpreting weather data so that's great.

Hoping for clear skies and calm winds in your future.

Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty nice if you can fit it in.
Unforunately, my CFI takes Weds off...pretty much the only day that is out of bounds. I respect that.

Use this downtime to take the written test and probably the oral portion of the check ride and get those out of the way. ;)

I’m spending some time this morning working on some fundamental concepts for my flight training. I still haven’t been able to fly yet because so far every single lesson I have had on the books has been canceled (maintenance or weather). I’m using this time that I am not flying to keep learning.

It’s super easy to get caught up on the sexy stuff of flying, like stick and rudder skills or navigation. It’s harder (for me) to actually spend time learning the back-end stuff…the physics…like weight and balance and density altitude. Those concepts (and more, of course) are super important to know as a pilot…so I am making sure I get it.

This morning was spent watching YouTube videos on weight and balance, and specifically making sure I understand the Center of Gravity Moment Envelope and CG Limits. I not only want to know how to calculate it, but I want to UNDERSTAND WHY. It’s clicking now…but if you asked me what "moment" was yesterday, I don’t think I would have had the answer.

My club kindly provides a weight and balance spreadsheet for each aircraft. Will full fuel tanks, my instructor and I are right on the edge of acceptable weight and balance in the C152! Good news, at least we don't have to drain the tanks to fly -- as some folks do. However, being on the edge is going to make density altitude a very critical factor in performance!

Screenshot-2015-04-01-06.47.22-1024x400.png

Last edited:
Since I'm not flying... I have a chance to do a little sunglass shoutout.

1. UnionBay u910 gray gradient
2. Serengeti Velocity drivers gradient
3. Ray-Ban Warrior drivers gradient

Which will I favor?

66900ad3f8b3675848e93409ce0a7721.jpg

Serengetis have the best color.

As for weight and balance, can you explain what advantages and disadvantages come with where in the fore/aft span of the envelope you have the CG?

Serengetis have the best color.

As for weight and balance, can you explain what advantages and disadvantages come with where in the fore/aft span of the envelope you have the CG?

Between you and I, the Ray-Ban's are the favorite...although I do like the view from the Serengetis...but they are a little more yellow than I expected. I have a pretty narrow face, and a small head. The Ray-Bans just fit better. The Serengetis are a little wide for me. Were it not for that, I'll have to work harder to compare colors. I'll have to see if they have a model of Serengetis that are narrower than these.

As far as the weight and balance...if its too far aft, you have stability issues, and it can also impact stall and spin recovery. If it's too far forward, it's stable, but at the cost of a loss of elevator control authority.

No practical full scale experience yet, but in RC modeling, there is sorta a half-joke (albeit truth) that you can fly a plane that is nose heavy - but it will just fly badly; and you can fly a plane that is tail heavy - just once.

Last edited:
How the heck do you figure a 152 would burn 11# of gas (almost 2 gallons) between startup and takeoff?:confused:.

Book figure is 0.8 gallon to departure and it's almost impossible to bust 6GPH even when redlined in those little Cessnas.

How the heck do you figure a 152 would burn 11# of gas (almost 2 gallons) between startup and takeoff?:confused:.

Book figure is 0.8 gallon to departure and it's almost impossible to bust 6GPH even when redlined in those little Cessnas.

Yeah...not sure about that. Those values are pre-plugged in. The only blanks were passenger weight and baggage weights. I looked at the charts for the 172s and it's the same burn rate, so my guess is they just transposed the numbers to the 152 charts. It looks like they are using a formula in that field that subtracts 1.7*6. So they are expecting 1.7 gallons burn between ramp and takeoff...

You're exactly right tho, it shouldn't be the same. I'll ask about that when I have my first lesson....whenever the heck that is. ;-)

Last edited:
Do you have a POH for the plane yet?

Good investment when you are new to type. Or find one online.

I found one online, but wasn't sure how much varied from plane to plane or year to year. I looked at it briefly, but didn't focus on the data because I wanted to compare against the one in the plane. Are they cookie cutter?

I found one online, but wasn't sure how much varied from plane to plane or year to year. I looked at it briefly, but didn't focus on the data because I wanted to compare against the one in the plane. Are they cookie cutter?

The options typically differ, W&B is individualized of course, but the overall flying characteristics and procedures stay the same. A 150 is a 152 is a 172- there's not much you can significantly change about the basic 100-series Cessna.

In the case of a 152, the same POH covers every year. Most will have the standard Lycoming O-235 engine, those that don't schools forewarn the pilots.

Biggest thing you'll need to watch out for in the later years is the belly sump- it's TOUGH to find that sucker unless somebody shows you.

BTW- the ramp fuel usage in your W&B spreadsheet is likely because they copied the fuel burn from the Arrow over to the other sheets; just a wee bit of difference between a 200HP 360 cu in engine and a 115HP 233 cu in one.:wink2:

Between you and I, the Ray-Ban's are the favorite...although I do like the view from the Serengetis...but they are a little more yellow than I expected. I have a pretty narrow face, and a small head. The Ray-Bans just fit better. The Serengetis are a little wide for me. Were it not for that, I'll have to work harder to compare colors. I'll have to see if they have a model of Serengetis that are narrower than these.

As far as the weight and balance...if its too far aft, you have stability issues, and it can also impact stall and spin recovery. If it's too far forward, it's stable, but at the cost of a loss of elevator control authority.

No practical full scale experience yet, but in RC modeling, there is sorta a half-joke (albeit truth) that you can fly a plane that is nose heavy - but it will just fly badly; and you can fly a plane that is tail heavy - just once.

Green glasses make me angry, grey glasses make me tired, rose glasses make the world a better place.;)

Fwd CG uses more fuel and is slower than aft CG plus requires more speed on landing as FWD CG increases stall speed. As long as the tail has more reserve AOA over the wing, the nose will always drop in a stall.

Fwd CG uses more fuel and is slower than aft CG plus requires more speed on landing as FWD CG increases stall speed. As long as the tail has more reserve AOA over the wing, the nose will always drop in a stall.

Makes sense. Thanks

Not sure if I'll get up again today. Scheduled for 1600R-1830R (2000Z-2230Z)

TAF from www.1800wxbrief.com
From Apr 2, 1400Z, Wind from 190° at 9 knots, greater than 6 statute miles visibility, Sky Clear
From Apr 2, 1600Z, Wind from 190° at 13 knots, greater than 6 statute miles visibility, Sky Clear
From Apr 2, 1700Z, Wind from 190° at 16 knots with gusts to 27 knots, greater than 6 statute miles visibility, Scattered Clouds at 25,000 feet
From Apr 2, 2300Z, Wind from 210° at 12 knots, greater than 6 statute miles visibility, Ceiling is Overcast at 11,000 feet.

Good thing you don't live in Oklahoma or Texas, if little winds like that keep you on the ground, you'd never fly.

Good thing you don't live in Oklahoma or Texas, if little winds like that keep you on the ground, you'd never fly.

From Apr 2, 1700Z, Wind from 190° at 16 knots with gusts to 27 knots, greater than 6 statute miles visibility, Scattered Clouds at 25,000 feet

That's essentially a direct 90 degree crosswind. Runways are 10 and 28. Club rules come into play here:

For licensed pilots flying the Cessna 152, the maximum head wind velocity is 26 knots; the maximum 90 degree crosswind component is 12 knots.

For student pilots flying the Cessna 152, the maximum headwind velocity is 10 knots; the maximum 90 degree crosswind component is 6 knots.

Instructors are authorized to fly any FMFA aircraft with a head wind velocity of 35 knots and a maximum 90 degree crosswind component of 20 knots

Wind gusts higher than the velocities cited above are considered as exceeding permissible limits.

So assuming I can claim instructor values since she will be pic, the 27 knot forecasted gusts put even her out of action.

But... It looks like things calm down after that... So I'll just have to wait and see how it works out.

Last edited:
Back