CPO : A Pilot in Training : This is my Journey

Did you get the verdict?
Are you going up today?

No clue yet. The plane is blocked out for a short XC from 11:30 to 14:00. It just depends on how much he runs up the tach... I probably won't know until a couple of hours before my scheduled block. :-(

Last edited:
Well... first lesson cancelled. Looks like I'm off to a great start! ;-)

Well... first lesson cancelled. Looks like I'm off to a great start! ;-)

Sorry to hear that. Looks like you are beyond prepared to get started.
But now you have fodder for your next video titled:
"Flying is never guaranteed"

One of my least favorite things about flying is planning for it and it not happening for one reason or another. Depending on the time of year, it happens a lot.

Too bad it happened on your first lesson.

Cool thread cipio, always enjoy reading about other students' experiences. I'm an RC guy too, took my first flight lesson in September. I'm right at 40 hours into my training, and have another 8 hours of cross country time left to log. Learning in a C-152 as well.

My instructor told me right off the bat(and I've heard others say this as well) that flight training is a marathon, not a sprint. This could not be more true, and things like weather and A/C maintenance will test your patience. Like others have stated on here, enjoy the process.

For cameras, I've mounted my GoPro in the same spot you have and I've had some resonance issues in the video. Of course this might be specific to my setup/airplane but thought it'd be worth mentioning. Here is a flight from early in my training:

And one flight a couple months ago with the GoPro on the passenger side window:

Sorry to hear that. Looks like you are beyond prepared to get started.
But now you have fodder for your next video titled:
"Flying is never guaranteed"

LOL! Done and Done! HAHAHA! Thanks for the title.

Cool thread cipio, always enjoy reading about other students' experiences. I'm an RC guy too, took my first flight lesson in September. I'm right at 40 hours into my training, and have another 8 hours of cross country time left to log. Learning in a C-152 as well.

Thanks for posting, and especially the vids. Yeah...I see a little jello and vibration. Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll see what the first video does, and adjust. It could simply be a matter of how well the window seals against the frame that could cause, or prevent, those vibrations. I have a couple of tricks from RC video to reduce camera vibes if it becomes necessary. ;-) TBH, though, your videos are very watchable...so I'll just have to see how it works out for me.

Thanks to the sticky post by Cap'n Ron in this "Pilot Training" sub-forum, I realized I needed to take this....

Again…working on my own to learn as much as possible, and understand everything I need to be compliant as a Private Pilot prior to having to hear it from my instructor. I’m one of those students who doesn’t have to wait to be told to learn something. I actually seek out as much as I can on my own. I won’t get it all figured out by myself…but I try and knock out as much as I can so my instructor and I can focus on more valuable discussion.

I realized today (thanks to a post on PilotsOfAmerica.com) that the FAA Safety course “DC Special Flight Rules Area” is required for all pilots flying in or through the DC FRZ and SFRA. As it happens, I live in the SFRA. My home airport is in the SFRA. I’ll be spending a lot of time in the SFRA, and will be leaving and entering it often. Time to check that off the list!

The course was straightforward. There is a lot of information to know, and a lot of rules to follow. Thankfully, the FAA provides a few nice kneeboard reference sheets to keep up with everything. I am now compliant, and have my certificate of completion. They also give you a wallet-sized certificate to print out and keep with your other documentation.

SFRA-e1427128767700-300x185.jpg

Good, don't wait on your CFI to bring things up and teach them. It's the people that need to be fed everything that the average time to PP is now 60-70 hrs. You need to take control of your training from the beginning. Keep track of your own progress and what you feel you need to work on.

So today, in my own personal ground school training time, I decided I wanted to learn how VOR navigation works. I watched several videos on the topic, and felt like I was starting to understand it. Then I thought, what a great opportunity to use the sim! This is exactly the type of thing I can practice in the sim that doesn't take away from real-life training (since everyone knows that sim airplanes don't really fly like real airplanes). They do, however, NAVIGATE like real airplanes.

I pulled out the local sectional and decided to plug in the VOR frequency for the BWI VOR and set my OBS for the 360 radial. I was south-west of the airport -- leaving W00.

I didn't try anything fancy. I just wanted to practice entering the frequency, setting it as active, getting the ident (and verifying with the morse code shown on the sectional). I then headed East until I could find the radial and then, once that happened, headed north on a 360 bearing, trying to keep the VOR navigation indicator centered as best as I could. Low and behold... I ended up right at the BWI airport! It's all starting to make sense, especially when I can take what I am learning and immediately go apply it in the plane (simulator in this case).

Next, I will try a more complex cross country sort of navigation and also try and learn to identify my location using VOR.

vor-training-800x442.png

Last edited:
Yep, good use of a sim in primary training, you are correct, navigation is navigation, if it gets you to understand how it functions, that is excellent.

This will not be easy. Even if you are a 'natural', this will not be easy, and often it will be uncomfortable, scary, and generally not a good time. There will be points where you question, "WTF am I spending my money on this for?" and it will take great levels of dedication and effort to work though those times.

I am a student pilot and I am at this point, working through it. Thanks for posting this. I didn't think I was the only one who faced this, nice to hear.

I am a student pilot and I am at this point, working through it. Thanks for posting this. I didn't think I was the only one who faced this, nice to hear.
Yeah...it's hard at this stage (the beginning) to imagine there will be a point where it will get rough (physically and emotionally). Henning's post was a great reality check. In fact, I just saw a Facebook post the other day where someone was saying they feel like quitting at 40 hours logged! That's got to be rough. Keep pushing! Then later, when I am at the same point as you, you can remind me to do the same!

Yeah...it's hard at this stage (the beginning) to imagine there will be a point where it will get rough (physically and emotionally). Henning's post was a great reality check. In fact, I just saw a Facebook post the other day where someone was saying they feel like quitting at 40 hours logged! That's got to be rough. Keep pushing! Then later, when I am at the same point as you, you can remind me to do the same!

I went through many emotions, but I have always been someone that would finish what I started; which helped me push through them.

The hardest for me was the more I learned about flying; the more I realized the dangers associated with flying. I'm not saying flying an airplane is dangerous, but I am saying flying an airplane can be very dangerous and it exposes you to many dangerous things.

I have a young family and at times I felt very selfish for trying to realize my dream of being a pilot. At times feeling like I was unnecessarily risking my life to just have some fun. This was always an easy out for me if I didn't progress in my training as I hoped. I had to push hard at times to not go down that road.

That said; I am sure you have had these thoughts. Making sure I had life insurance to help my family that was covered for aviation helped put those at ease. Over time those worries go away. Just throwing it out there if you eventually start feeling the same way. As I have said before, it is well worth it in the end!

I decided it would be fun to map out the airspace around my home airport... in 3D. This is about 3/4 of the way done now. I have to finish a little more class B, the SFRA/FRZ, and then finish up the rest of the class E. It always takes longer than I think it will to do something like this. ;-)

I spent a lot of time today making sure I understand airspace, and in particular had to do a lot of mind gymnastics to understand class G and class E boundaries, since those are not quite so clearly defined on the charts. Most of the videos I watched, and all of the graphics just didn't make it clear. Now that I understand it, I went back and watched the videos again...and it all makes sense.

To that effort, I am taking what I have learned to model it in my area, in hopes that it might 1) re-enforce my own understanding and 2) maybe help someone else.

It's clear as a bell to me now and I hope that if someone points to a map and says you are at X elevation at this location, what airspace are you in? --> I'll have the right answer every time! That's the goal, anyway.

When complete, this graphic will have 3D model of Class B, D, E, G, and the SFRA and FRZ. I won't bother with class A....maybe.

washington-airspace-1024x644.jpg

Here's an earlier photo from when I was just getting started. This is all on an actual sectional for Washington.

Screenshot-2015-03-26-18.44.16-1024x578.png

Last edited:
I see Bravo, SFRA, and Delta. No E or G yet in the graphic?

From my post: "This is about 3/4 of the way done now."

So you are right. It's actually a video presentation, and it's done as of this morning. I just want to make sure it's fact checked before I publish it. If any CFI would like to preview it for me, I'd love the look. I haven't seen anyone do a presentation like this (not saying it hasn't been done, just saying I haven't seen it.)

I haven't seen anyone do a presentation like this (not saying it hasn't been done, just saying I haven't seen it.)

It's pretty common in many training courses, IE this one by sportys:

There are also ways to see all US airspace in 3D via google earth. I cant remember where that is, but its out there.

Not knocking what your doing, as what ever helps you learn you should keep doing. Keep at it!

It's pretty common in many training courses, IE this one by sportys!
Those are exactly the types of videos that I have been watching. I have both the Sportys and King Ground School courses. The problem is that they talk about the airspace as individual segments, and don't really show you how they interconnect. Then, that leaves the question that seems to be the most challenging: where the heck is G and E in the middle of all of that. Not saying that they are not helpful. It's just that they were missing context that I needed to finally get it to click. Then I started asking other pilots and finding out they they didn't really understand it either.

In my 3D model, you can actually see the tunnel of Class E that exists between two Class B areas...

Anyway...I think it's different than what has been done before. As soon as I know it's not totally wrong (in which case I quit right now) then I'll share it. It's not a professional model... I'm just an amateur tinkerer who decided to waste 2 days on something that he couldn't stop thinking about! ;-)

Last edited:
IMO, this is an excellent tool ... especially if you use it (in whole or in part) to explain to someone else how airspace works. I used to be a CPR Instructor Trainer; that is, I taught people how to teach CPR. My mantra to them was, "you'll never know something as well as after you prepare to teach it to others."
If you can use your model as a way of teaching (explaining) to others how airspace works, you'll come to understand it far better than one would by simply reading a book or taking a course.

IMO, this is an excellent tool ... especially if you use it (in whole or in part) to explain to someone else how airspace works. I used to be a CPR Instructor Trainer; that is, I taught people how to teach CPR. My mantra to them was, "you'll never know something as well as after you prepare to teach it to others."
If you can use your model as a way of teaching (explaining) to others how airspace works, you'll come to understand it far better than one would by simply reading a book or taking a course.
EXACTLY! This, in a nutshell, is why I tend to try and explain to others complicated things that I am learning (like airspace!). I find out really quickly what I know and what I don't know. I had to go back and re-think things several times just when making this video that's coming up. Was it AGL or MSL...now I don't remember...gotta check... Enough of that and I find I remember it much more than if I just memorized it on my own. I find I can be overconfident in my understanding all the way up to the point that I try and explain it to someone else! That's where the little details and nuances come out.

Right on CPO! Do your thing brother! More videos can only help others.

Airspace is one of the more complicated things to fully understand when becoming a PP. I often find myself forgetting certain aspects of it and having to review. In reality, once you get to flying you wont have to worry about much other than (B,C,D) - [Contact Them] and R - [Stay Away] and MOA's - [Are they active?]. The E and G airspace wont concern you much after you get your PPL.

In your case you are in the SFRA so you will be in contact with ATC a lot and your biggest concern where you are flying out of will be not entering class B without a clearance. I'm glad I learned out here in the sticks, but learning where you are, should make you very proficient on the radio and being around congested airspace.

It's pretty common in many training courses, IE this one by sportys:

There are also ways to see all US airspace in 3D via google earth. I cant remember where that is, but its out there.

Not knocking what your doing, as what ever helps you learn you should keep doing. Keep at it!

Exactly, it's like building your own check lists, in the process of building them, you really think about what's going on. Works better than spoon feeding, but takes more time and effort. I will wager that CPO has his PP between 40 & 45 hours, and if someone wants to give me good odds I'll even take it down to 41.5.

I will wager that CPO has his PP between 40 & 45 hours, and if someone wants to give me good odds I'll even take it down to 41.5.
LOL! I'd love it if I could do it! I have to get the airplane out of maintenance first! I think starting next week, my flying schedule is going to go into high gear.

"Finally Understanding Class G and E Airspace Using 3D Modeling"

The alternative title for this video could be "Airspace Hurts My Head". LOL! As a student pilot seeking my Private Pilot Certificate, I believe that having a solid understanding of airspace is important. Questions about airspace are guaranteed to come up during the written exam, and probably just as guaranteed to come up during the check ride.

I made this video not for you. I made it for me. Okay, maybe a little bit for you, if you need some help in this area.;-) However, the reality of it is that I learn so much myself from trying to put something like this together. I really have to understand what I am talking about in a way to make enough sense to explain it to someone else.

Understanding Class G and Class E airspace was a challenge for me. It took a lot of research and study before it finally clicked. Class G airspace is practically everywhere, but it rarely shows up on the aviation charts. So how do you find it, and how do you know where it ends? Well...you have to understand Class E airspace for that! The floor of Class E airspace will tell you where the ceiling of Class G is. For the most part, barring specific documented exceptions to this and also barring locations where other airspace is involved, Class G airspace goes from the surface (AKA Ground) to the floor of Class E. Of course, the floor of Class E varies all over the map, and that's hopefully where this 3D model will help visualize things. And yes, there are places of "unobstructed" Class G airspace where it goes from the surface all the way up to the maximum Class G limit of 14,500 MSL. While there are some places that Class G extends to an specific altitude based on other factors (like terrain), the majority of Class G goes from the Surface to either 700 AGL or 1200 AGL.

Another interesting tidbit about Class G and Class E: The floor of Class E and the ceiling of Class G are identified in feet Above Ground Level (AGL) -- except where Class G maxes or where it's otherwise noted. Most all of the other airspace floor and ceiling values are noted in Mean Sea Level (MSL). So just make sure you are paying attention to that. Mostly, when talking about Class G and E, you're talking AGL -- not what your altimeter says (unless you are at sea level, of course ;-)

So while this video mostly focuses on...yep...Class E and Class G, there is a bit about Class B, Class D, and even at least via the model, a look at the Washington FRZ.

I'm not a professional 3D modeler, I am not a CFI, and I'm not selling ground school courses or videos. This content is worth at least what you paid for it. If you don't like it, you can get a full refund. :) I will say I ran it past several pilots, and a few CFIs before I posted it because I want it to be accurate. It may not be the best presentation, it may not have everything there is to know about this topic, but I didn't want anything in there that was just outright wrong. If you notice something we overlooked, please let me know. If you like it, let me know. I invested many hours into this...so I am hopeful it was helpful for at least one of you. If you really like it, feel free to share it!

Video is 12 minutes long. First 6 is background, and some foundational information that sets up the model demonstration. Last 6 minutes is showing the model and how the airspace is laid out here where I am.

Keep it up, by the time you finish all your ratings, you will have a complete digital syllabus for not only your CFIs, but all the material to edit into a product you can also market at a competitive price.

Exactly, it's like building your own check lists, in the process of building them, you really think about what's going on. Works better than spoon feeding, but takes more time and effort. I will wager that CPO has his PP between 40 & 45 hours, and if someone wants to give me good odds I'll even take it down to 41.5.

Possibly. He seems to know more about flying than me and he hasn't flown yet.

Now on the other hand. He has his money pre saved for this.
Dude solos, has the funds available and a string of nice days pop up, CFI is on vacation, Dude might go burn some holes in the sky for fun. That could bring the hours up.

That said, I have no doubt Henning you are correct.

Dude (CPO) how are your radio skills? Are you practicing that yet?
That will come up way before this airspace stuff.

Work on those and the only thing left is just learning to fly the plane.

Dude (CPO) how are your radio skills? Are you practicing that yet?

Well, I am not going to pretend I am comfortable in aviation comms yet, but I think its coming along well. I'm a former LEO, so I spent about 12 years of my live talking to dispatchers (atc) and other officers (pilots) on the radio.

Once I know what to say, when to say it, and what to expect to hear, I think it will fall right into place. So I am working on that. I also get exposure to the radio comms via Civil Air Patrol. While not a pilot for them (yet) I still have the benefit of listening and observing to how the pilots interact with others.

Based on your feedback...gonna start listening to LiveATC again. I did it for a while, and quit as my focus shifted. Actually right now I am listening to KDTO based on a recommendation you gave someone else on here about 7 months ago. Its been great, because there are at least two student pilots right now, and you can tell by the way ATC talks to them and gives a "good job" on the landing. :)

You are one prepared student.
When is the first flight going to be now?

Possibly. He seems to know more about flying than me and he hasn't flown yet.
I've been putting myself through self-study ground school for nearly six months while I figured out how to pay for this and convince my wife to let me do it! ;-)

I have forgotten a lot of what I learn that I haven't been able to apply somehow. I generally need application to get things to stick. I don't hold on to rote memory content for very long. (Hence why doing vidoes helps me -- because I can apply the information at least in some fashion.) As it gets closer to reality of sitting in the left seat, I'm trying to refresh on everything.

CPO Tidbit : Aviation Communications Practice (Listening) with LiveATC.net

A quick video of something I found helpful. Listing to LiveATC.net while having the airport diagram handy. It turns out that listening to the Denton, TX tower frequency is very helpful...and there is a lot of student traffic! NOTE: I did cut out some dead space...so it sounds like a lot of people are taking off on top of each other, but in reality there was a little time between them.

I did the same thing but used St. Louis. Had the charts opened and just watched and tried to track it. I slowly moved from ground to tower, to departure, ect. Helps a ton and gets you used to everything.

I did the same thing but used St. Louis. Had the charts opened and just watched and tried to track it. I slowly moved from ground to tower, to departure, ect. Helps a ton and gets you used to everything.

I think its cool that after a while you can start to picture where each plane is in the pattern. What's nice about Denton is that tower/ground tends to be one guy...so I hear all of it at once. I have BWI right here and when I really want to get my mind blown, I listen to all of the big jets! I enjoy Van Nuys (VNY) as well (especially after watching the documentary on that airport).

BTW...here's a list of the top (busiest) GA airports in the US. It's from 2009, but I don't imagine it's changed a whole lot. I will try and listen to several of these as I can...

TOP 20 U.S. GENERAL AVIATION
AIRPORTS IN 2009
Rank Airport State
1 Van Nuys (VNY) CA
2 Daytona Beach Int’l (DAB) FL
3 Phoenix Deer Valley (DVT) AZ
4 Long Beach (LGB) CA
5 Richard Lloyd Jones Jr (RVS) OK
6 Montgomery Field (MYF) CA
7 Fort Lauderdale Executive (FXE) FL
8 Falcon Field (FFZ) AZ
9 Boeing Field (BFI) WA
10 Kendall-Tamiami (TMB) FL
11 Centennial (APA) CO
12 Wayne-Orange County (SNA) CA
13 Republic (FRG) NY
14 Dekalb-Peachtree (PDK) GA
15 McClellan-Palomar (CRQ) CA
16 Westchester County (HPN) NY
17 Gillespie Field (SEE) CA
18 Teterboro (TEB) NJ
19 Hanscom Field (BED) MA
20 Scottsdale (SDL) AZ

Last edited:
CPO Tidbit : Cheapest Aviation Sunglasses Ever!

I couldn't resist sharing this deal on a pair of sunglasses I stumbled across today. I you are looking for an inexpensive pair of glasses that work nicely under your aviation headset...check these out. They even have a gradient tint! Wowza! For this price, I couldn't think of a good reason not to give them a try!

Oh, yeah....the price. Um.... $12.

I seriously can't wait until Tuesday now.
I can only think of a handful of students on here that I have followed so closely.

MikeinBama was the last one. There have been a few others that documented the whole journey. This is awesome.

Good! You can be my accountability partner! LOL! Im sure it's going to be harder to keep up with all this once I'm flying.

I'll have to check out MikeinBama...

I followed Mike and Kenny because we started about the same time and finished close together. Kenny and I started the same month and had our checkride within days of each other. Hope they're still flying!

The Class E/G video is very well done. Much better than most of the "professional" explanations out there. As you say at the beginning, in the East people often treat G as if it doesn't exist, which can be confusing for new students wondering why so much purple ink is then splashed all over their sectionals.

Back