COVID-19 - What can the GA community do to help?

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
I was thinking about this today... with so many states of people and businesses effected by the virus today, isn't there something we as a GA community can do to help? The hospitals are suffering, the grocery stores can't get food and supplies to the shelves quick enough, hell even Amazon is out of stuff.

Obviously, we don't have the ability to do the jobs of say, FlightForLife due to certifications, and paramedic credentials and what have you... but I mean, during a time of crisis such as this why wouldn't be able to act as temporary aid to the shipping community and carry/haul things like foods and medical supplies. Even if it's small amounts, and local.... at least it's something.

Just looking for ways to use the skills of the community to help the masses.

Stay safe. Donate to local food banks.
This is the same situation as Katrina, Haiti, etc. Well meaning but not practical or viable.
CAP is grounded from flying, no cadet events, and no meetings - unless there's a really compelling emergency. What's even more fun....at the early March meeting (which I didn't attend, as I rarely attend meetings, I go years between meetings!) turns out one of the members and his wife just returned from a cruise including Eqypt and the Med, and are now home-bound. Which means there are maybe 5-6 of us (that didn't go to the meeting) that are still legal for flight crew if an emergency does arise!

Seriously though, at our church board meeting we were discussing the same topic and there isn't much. We can't go to the hospital to help or the assisted living community. Even our food bank has been shut down although we are trying to find a way to deliver. I have a call into the FIre Chief to see if we can bring meals but that doesn't look promising either.

This isn't like your typical natural disaster that hits one community, state, region. Where would be getting aid and flying it to? Everyone is being impacted by this, everywhere.

It's not really a disaster. It's a situation that we as a people put ourselves into intentionally to help protect a tiny proportion of the population.

There's no real shortage of supplies, just a surplus of morons. The stores will be restocked soon. There's nobody to evacuate, nothing to deliver, nothing to do.

If anything, the best way to help would be to isolate yourself. Seems that trying to provide aid could turn you into a vector.

Stay safe. Donate to local food banks.
This is the same situation as Katrina, Haiti, etc. Well meaning but not practical or viable.
CAP is grounded from flying, no cadet events, and no meetings - unless there's a really compelling emergency. What's even more fun....at the early March meeting (which I didn't attend, as I rarely attend meetings, I go years between meetings!) turns out one of the members and his wife just returned from a cruise including Eqypt and the Med, and are now home-bound. Which means there are maybe 5-6 of us (that didn't go to the meeting) that are still legal for flight crew if an emergency does arise!
That's funny how the wings are different. Our wing is looking to create a mission for flying Corona test kits around the state if needed. Our meetings have also been cancelled, but any proficiency flying and one-on-one flight instruction is still allowed.

Can’t imagine that many of us have aircraft big enough to make a difference. It’s not like you’re flying in medical supplies and such after a hurricane. The shipping companies aren’t going to stop much as far as restocking is concerned. The best thing to do is stay at home and keep clear of this for a few weeks.

Air drop toilet paper, paper towels, diapers?

Sorry... Not helpful.

But da**it, we've got to have some levity.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

This is more personal: If my folks (late 70's) aren't feeling up to going through Sky Harbor or Mesa Gateway or sitting on a airliner for 3hrs or the commercial flights are canceled I will most likely fly the Skylane down to get them. Don't have to interact with hardly anyone for that trip. Actually the biggest risk is probably the taxi/uber to Falcon Field and having to run into the FBO to pay for stuff. Heck, if they'd give me a courtesy car to pick them up there's even less chance (after I wipe it down).

I could see more uses like that versus flying supplies.

This is more personal: If my folks (late 70's) aren't feeling up to going through Sky Harbor or Mesa Gateway or sitting on a airliner for 3hrs or the commercial flights are canceled I will most likely fly the Skylane down to get them. Don't have to interact with hardly anyone for that trip. Actually the biggest risk is probably the taxi/uber to Falcon Field and having to run into the FBO to pay for stuff. Heck, if they'd give me a courtesy car to pick them up there's even less chance (after I wipe it down).

I could see more uses like that versus flying supplies.
Good use; but for other people, unless you are flying your family or close friends, probably the best thing to do is stay home.

Here is what a group of RV folks down here on the south side of ATL have been doing - they have been flying smoke hearts over hospitals in the area. They started 'small' last week flying over a couple of smaller regional hospitals in the neighboring towns, but word got out about it and it got bigger. They teamed up with an ATL radio station who broadcasted the event live and coordinated with ATL ATC to be able to fly two 2-mile smoke hearts over the major downtown ATL hospital as well as the Children's Hospital.

Here's a link to the local TV station's report: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/atlanta-pilots-skywriting-message-of-hope

Here's a link to the radio station's live event video: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=554732631829938&id=393733114026754&_rdr

The Facebook video is a little annoying (as expected per radio DJs) but they've got some footage of the planes from the ground perspective. You can see/hear the rejoin during the 'song'.. and see the second heart after the song ends.

And here's a link to a video that was made someone involved with the event:

Back