Covid-19: How it Spreads and How it can be Slowed

Ya but....no deaths....and antibodies. That has to be a positive....? or will you spin it as a negative? :D
I'll believe it when it works. Which it hasn't. 30 years. I hope you will trust my expertise in these matters when I say that the vaccines still have significant technical hurdles.

I'll believe it when it works. Which it hasn't. 30 years. I hope you will trust my expertise in these matters when I say that the vaccines still have significant technical hurdles.
Oh I do trust your expertise....and it's far easier to say it ain't possible than to have a glimmer of optimism.

Oh I do trust your expertise....and it's far easier to say it ain't possible than to have a glimmer of optimism.
Didn't say it was impossible, just a big uphill climb. In my biz promoters of new technology frequently overstate their results. I'm certain my biz is the only one where they do that...

Phase I just means the vaccine hasn't killed anyone. It's actually a pretty low bar.

What I liked recently was Phazer releasing info on one stage 1 trial of this kind of vaccine. Assuming the article I read is correct, Phazer actually published the raw data without any analysis to some peer review group. They were asking for help to make the peer review faster. If this is true, that is very cool, and a very different approach from other companies that only released partial information.

Tim

well....the new mRNA vaccines are producing antibodies......wonder if they'll produce T-cell immunity?

The published results of Phase 1 trials say yes. Both the Moderna (mRNA) and Oxford (viral vector) vaccines elicit similar responses of both IgG antibodies and killer T cells after two doses 28 days apart. Good news for upcoming Phase 3 trials. Side effects are significant, similar to the Shingrix vaccine. Arm will hurt like hell, might feel a bit crappy for a day, but you will get a good immune response.

The published results of Phase 1 trials say yes. Both the Moderna (mRNA) and Oxford (viral vector) vaccines elicit similar responses of both IgG antibodies and killer T cells after two doses 28 days apart. Good news for upcoming Phase 3 trials. Side effects are significant, similar to the Shingrix vaccine. Arm will hurt like hell, might feel a bit crappy for a day, but you will get a good immune response.
Similar to my reaction to a tetanus shot; I'd certainly stand in line to get this (unless it has a kill rate too similar to the virus itself.)
I'm old enough to remember standing in line getting the polio oral vaccine.

A Wisconsin City Experiments With a Faster, DIY Covid-19 Test

https://www.wired.com/story/a-wisconsin-city-experiments-with-a-faster-diy-covid-19-test/

"The technology used in the tests is called LAMP, or loop-mediated isothermal amplification. It’s similar to PCR—or polymerase chain reaction—the common way of diagnosing Covid-19, in that it looks for genetic traces of the virus. But it’s a stripped-down process, requiring fewer chemical ingredients, test tubes, and equipment. Typically, the method is used to test for diseases like Zika and dengue fever in places that don’t have lab access—or else by farmers who want to find out what pathogen ails their soybeans. But in Racine, it’s part of an experiment: to see how a cheaper, simpler test, if done frequently enough, might hold outbreaks at bay. Instead of sending samples off to a hospital or lab, and potentially waiting days for results, could you test for Covid-19 from the back of a van, or outside a school, or in a city-owned former boxing gym?"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back