Count Down To Saturday

I think Charlie may have such a high number under his belt. Several years ago he was honored by EAA in regards to his Y-E flights records.

HR
That's kewl - we have a picture of our YE coordinator shaking Harrison Ford's hand at OSH, hanging on the wall in our hangar (Randy and I are in the same chapter).

It was my own discovery flight that made me realize I wanted to be a pilot. That's all it took for me. If I can touch just one person and help them to see the magic of flying that would make it all worthwhile.
BINGO!

The EAA is also going to introduce Eagle Flight at Airventure this year. These will be one on one flights with those too old to qualify for YE.

The EAA is also going to introduce Eagle Flight at Airventure this year. These will be one on one flights with those too old to qualify for YE.
Does that mean you'll take me up once a month, give me a certificate, and sign my logbook, Randy? :rolleyes:

I think between your common sense and the good advice here, you'll do fine.
Never done a YE day, but a typical glider-ing day for me can involve a bunch of flights and plenty of work on the ground. In addition to water, I like to have some trail mix handy- preferably just dried fruit. You can nibble on that stuff all day to help keep the energy up, and fight dehydration effects.

Also, I believe nobody mentioned fuel for the airplane... seems silly to mention it, but it's easy to lose track when you are making a lot of short flights. All that ground-op and takeoff/climb fuel usage adds up. This could be especially important if you start the day with less-than-full tanks for whatever reason. I know you'll make estimates beforehand, but I'd advise you to dip the tanks at some point to confirm your estimates (and just to be sure how much you have left).

Since Rottydaddy mentioned fuel, I'll mention this - often there are fuel providers who will give a discount on fuel used for YE events. Not sure if this might cut you a break if you rent (not sure if you rent or not), but it's a thought.

I'm looking forward to the pictures fom the event Kimberly. Enjoy, and have FUN! You're doing great stuff for GA and those kids!

I haven't flown YEs, but I took a coworker of my wife's and his sons flying last week. First time in a light airplane for any of them and the grins were infectious. You'll have a blast.

Kimberly, after having followed your saga from the early days on studentpilot.com you've really become quite an ambassador for GA. Good for you lady!! :yes::thumbsup::wonderwoman:

I wonder if you could talk a local hobby shop in to donating a few C150 1/48th scale model kits? Sorta like this one: http://amzn.to/LsphsU

I wonder if you could talk a local hobby shop in to donating a few C150 1/48th scale model kits? Sorta like this one: http://amzn.to/LsphsU

Even if I could, we're expecting 100 kids so I'm not sure it would be fair. I think I have done a lot already and I should just see how this all goes.

I can always do more / better next time!

I have been to the hobby store, the only one in town as far as I know, and the only cessna stuff they had was the hot rod models - which are about $8 and very cool. I remember asking what other GA stuff they had and I don't believe they had anything but "bigger" airplanes in the model making sections.... more "cool" airplanes I mean.

Talk with them about including GA models in their next order. Likely their supplier has them, but the shop didn't order any because demand was low.

No uncoordinated power on stalls please.

:D

I have a feeling you're going to have the time of your life, and I look forward to reading your post all about it.

Anyone know if Young Eagle events fall under Part 91.146 or are they exempt? Thanks.

Anyone know if Young Eagle events fall under Part 91.146 or are they exempt? Thanks.

[(a) Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
Charitable event means an event that raises funds for the benefit of a charitable organization

We are not raising money.

[(a) Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
Charitable event means an event that raises funds for the benefit of a charitable organization

We are not raising money.

Thanks. I was thinking about getting involved in Young Eagle flights but didn't know if they fell under that Part. Have fun this weekend. I hope the weather cooperates.

No uncoordinated power on stalls please.

:D

Why not? That 152 is probably approved for it!

:)

Though the kids might need a bit of counselling afterward....

I've thought about doing some YE work at KWVI, but I'm not sure I can handle the expense. I can barely squeeze into a 152, but at my size, the kids would be limited to 100 lb.

YE rules prohibit maneuvers like that with kids on board.

Can you give me a reference for this? I didn't see anything on their website about rules for pilots. I'm not disputing it doesn't exist I just want to get my ducks in a row if I ever get involved in the program. I agree that unless funds are raised it wouldn't be under Part 91.146 but there must be some sort of proper procedures for flying YE. Any reference would be greatly appreciated.:)

Can you give me a reference for this? I didn't see anything on their website about rules for pilots. I'm not disputing it doesn't exist I just want to get my ducks in a row if I ever get involved in the program. I agree that unless funds are raised it wouldn't be under Part 91.146 but there must be some sort of proper procedures for flying YE. Any reference would be greatly appreciated.:)

Paper? I haven't seen or signed anything. I will let you know if I do on Saturday. So far I just went to a meeting but I know some pilots didn't even do that much. I think they know half of us won't show up and they most likely just wait until the day of the event for any paper exchanges.

First you get to sign their application as the pilot.

Do a good passenger briefing to include where the barf bag is and what to do if the plane goes down and you're knocked out.

If you have a pilot ISO on your intercom don't be afraid to use it. I suppose having one wild kid asking non-stop questions is probably easier than having three :)

I usually try to talk about some of the instruments. They usually like to know how high they are and how fast they're going.

When you get to your altitude and trimmed up let them fly.

Definitely let them help you spot airplanes.

I will usually run cloudahoy and send them link to the track later.

Relax and have fun and do stay hydrated.

Each of my flight is usually 20 - 30 minutes.

After the flight you will have parents wanting pictures and you will sign the certificate and logbook.

Last month our chapter flew 82. I did seven flights with 20 YE's. You'll enjoy it.

OK this is tomorrow. What do you mean brief them on what to do if I'm knocked out? Won't that scare the kids?

I thought my pax brief was about door locks, safety belts, barf bags. What sort of brief should I give? Not sure what an 8 year old should be told to do if I'm knocked out and the plane has gone down, wouldn't they be knocked out too?

OK this is tomorrow. What do you mean brief them on what to do if I'm knocked out? Won't that scare the kids?

I thought my pax brief was about door locks, safety belts, barf bags. What sort of brief should I give? Not sure what an 8 year old should be told to do if I'm knocked out and the plane has gone down, wouldn't they be knocked out too?

My brief does include engine out on takeoff, but not being knocked out.

My brief does include engine out on takeoff, but not being knocked out.

Yes but (I'm guessing) that tells them what you will do as PIC if the engine fails, not what they should do if you are knocked out. That's the thing.

Yes but (I'm guessing) that tells them what you will do as PIC if the engine fails, not what they should do if you are knocked out. That's the thing.

I wouldn't worry about this stuff the night prior. I'm sure whoever is running the show will give you some guidance tomorrow. Just go out there do a normal pax brief and have some fun.

Yes, door locks. It doesn't scare them if it is explained properly. I am always matter of fact in making sure my right seater knows how to get the door open in case I can't and no they might not be knocked out. I've not had one get scared or ask to get out because I explained that to them.

Are there any restrictions
on flight activities?

To provide the conditions for the best possible
experience for first-time flyers, all Young Eagles
flights must be conducted in VFR weather. No
unusual attitudes, formation flights, or aerobatics
are permitted. All aircraft must shut down between
flights (no hot loading).

http://www.youngeagles.org/voluntee...source - EAA Young Eagle Pilot Guidelines.pdf

Perfect! That's what I was looking for. Thanks.:)

Kim, I suspect you are already at the airport this morning...

HAVE FUN

Ok Kimberly, how did it go?

Did you have fun?

How many flights?

Our day was canceled, low ceilings :sad:

More to come when I have time. Took "duckie" up again. Duckie does Young Eagles.

7630392566_2f6572f41d_z.jpg

When doing many short flights in a day the benefit of doing a full run up turns into a liability of rock chipping. The most important test to do is the Pre shut down P-lead test.

Back