Count Down To Saturday

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Saturday, July 21, 2012 will be the biggest flying day of my entire life.

With the exception of the weekend I flew ALL of my training cross countries (short on Sat and long on Sun), I have never been PIC in a plane for more than 2.8 hours.

We begin with a pilot briefing at 9am and I believe the official start time is 10am. The Young Eagles sign ups stop at 1pm and we fly until the last kid is done, they think around 3pm. That is FIVE HOURS OF FLYING.

Sure, lots of that time will be on the ground. There might be TV / radio stations at the airport to cover the event and I'll be signing log books, apparently. I'll also be taking photos, talking to parents, somehow get marshalled around on the ground, etc.

Several pilots who have done this for decades are concerned. They have warned me to drink water, take breaks, and be aware when I am too tired to continue. My CFI who did the checkout in the 150 said sternly: "Look, I want you to GET OUT OF THE PLANE, and at least count to 20, and take a sip of water, every other kid you fly. You will get tired and I'm worried about you."

The hosts estimate each flight will last 10 - 20 minutes, though I don't know how that is possible, since I can barely fly the pattern in 10 minutes in the 150 (from engine start to taxi to runup to landing / tie down).

Even if I only fly two children each hour, that is 10 flights!

I guess I have a few questions:

Pre-flight and runup etc. I plan to do a pre-flight and even a test flight early in the morning before the event begins, if there is no fog. I want to be sure everything is working OK. After that, I do plan to do a runup for each flight but not too much beyond that if the plane is in my possession the entire day.

I was a paramedic for 10 years... Yes, definitely drink lots of water. But also, drinking something with electrolytes is an even better idea. It takes a lot of water to do, but it is possible to die from water intoxication.

Our pilots' flights are typically around 20 or 30 minutes, depending on the pilot and/or plane. They take off from KLZU, and I think most of them either fly out to Lake Lanier to show the kids the lake, or over to Stone Mountain to let them see that. Sometimes I hear them ask the kids which they'd prefer while still on the ground, but I don't know if they all offer the choice.

I can't speak for the pilot's perspective, but having worked a lot of Young Eagles events on the ground (monthly at this chapter, and 3 a summer when I lived in IL), it is rewarding to see the looks on the kids' faces when they come back.

Contact Tim O'Connor from this thread and he'll give you a code so that the young eagles can get a free copy of his ebook, You Can Afford to Be a Pilot.

Have fun, and take care of yourself if it is hot.

Relax its just Young Eagles its not the paris to dakar rally. Just have fun.

Relax its just Young Eagles its not the paris to dakar rally. Just have fun.

Dude these people are coming up to me. I was not worried about it. I am only in it for the fun factor. I think in my short flying career I've had perhaps one or two total non-pilot passengers... the rest have been pilots who could have landed my plane. So that part alone will be really neat. I find non pilots have a whole different "feel" in the plane and are in some ways a real joy to have as passengers.

It's amazing what you find on CafePress these days... :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments

• KA Button.jpg
    KA Button.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 89
7592092774_9281723f15_z.jpg

Another bit of advice... Prepare yourself mentally for a couple of scenarios. One is that someone pukes. You should prepare yourself with a barf bag in addition to the mental prep, too. ;) I've done ground crew for YE for several years, and I've only seen two pilots come back with a puked passenger, but it's good to be ready just in case.

Another is what to do if someone gets unruly, grabs the yoke, won't let go. I've never seen this, but I remember reading about a pilot in that situation (don't remember where, and can't find it now). It's not likely at all, but it sure wouldn't hurt to think about what you would do.

Above all, have fun with it! :)

Dude these people are coming up to me. I was not worried about it. I am only in it for the fun factor. I think in my short flying career I've had perhaps one or two total non-pilot passengers... the rest have been pilots who could have landed my plane. So that part alone will be really neat. I find non pilots have a whole different "feel" in the plane and are in some ways a real joy to have as passengers.

Ok Dude, then tell them to relax. Just enjoy the day.:)

Ok Dude, then tell them to relax. Just enjoy the day.:)

The fun already started. On Saturday I was at the airport to be a safety pilot in a Lance.

I decided it would be best to do some landings in the little 150 before the event, since I didn't want it to be a month since I had flown when I put kids in the plane.

That day was the very FIRST (with one exception of three night landings last year) solo I've done since my checkride.

Every flight up until now, even pattern practice, I've had pilots in the plane. Funny thing was it felt so strange. But good. I could focus so much better without anyone distracting me and with only 7 gallons in each wing I took off like a rocket.

Leg pulling aside, you might consider doing something with Cafe Press to make a momento for your copilots.

A button, sticker, certificate... something cool that they'd really like.

Leg pulling aside, you might consider doing something with Cafe Press to make a momento for your copilots.

A button, sticker, certificate... something cool that they'd really like.

Thanks but I only have a few days and can't really afford to do anything. I thought giving my plane and my time was generous enough. I do have plans to do something special for each child that won't cost anything however. I am bringing a DSLR and will get the parents email address to send special photos with a personalized email about our flight together.

You should prepare yourself with a barf bag in addition to the mental prep, too.

Add on to this is to get a few large plastic coffee cans with lids. Doubles as a container to put the used sicsacs into, and a larger target when they can't open up the sac fast enough.

Wow, thanks, I didn't think of any of those things. I guess I should get gum too and ask the flight school if I can borrow a spare headset. Last time I flew the owner offered me his personal Bose pax one so I bet I can just give the kids my headset to wear. I have requested girls since I'm not sure how many other female pilots will be flying that day.

As far as mementos, the kids will get the certificates, of course, and if your chapter has this planned in advance, surely they'll have the certificates from Sporty's that will give the kids a free online ground school, and of course, what parent will bring their kid without bringing a camera? They'll leave with all that, and of course that big grin that won't go away for hours.

Add on to this is to get a few large plastic coffee cans with lids. Doubles as a container to put the used sicsacs into, and a larger target when they can't open up the sac fast enough.

Excellent point!!

Also in addition to safety breifing remember to tell the kids to let you know if they are uncomfortable and tell them how to use the headset mic. I find they eithe keep it a foot away and you can't hear them or they scream into it and blast your ear drum to oblivion.

Also, don't forget to brief them that they need to be quiet anytime you're going to be communicating outside the airplane. :)

Also, don't forget to brief them that they need to be quiet anytime you're going to be communicating outside the airplane. :)

With how many planes are normally in the pattern, plus display day, plus Young Eagles, that could be a lot. We are untowered so I need to make all my traffic calls.

They said I won't get a flight map until the morning of and that there could be as many as 12 planes flying at the same time.... if that's true I'll have a lot less time to focus on the kid, my job will be that of a swivel.

Young Eagles was my first small plane ride and look where I am now eh?

:)

Me too! I just flew my first YE flights a little over a month ago. It felt great to give back to the kids what helped keep the dream of flying alive for me.

Me too! I just flew my first YE flights a little over a month ago. It felt great to give back to the kids what helped keep the dream of flying alive for me.

Once I get my own airplane I plan on doing them. Now which plane to buy... ;)

They said I won't get a flight map until the morning of and that there could be as many as 12 planes flying at the same time.... if that's true I'll have a lot less time to focus on the kid, my job will be that of a swivel.

When Ive gone after takeoff the pilot always handed me the controls and told me where to fly it and he watched for traffic and managed the radios.

Last edited:
Ask the kids to tell you every time they see another airplane, and be really, really careful about mixing kids with a moving prop. I know that the YE folks have been down this road before, but I'm just sayin'.

Bob Gardner

Ask the kids to tell you every time they see another airplane, and be really, really careful about mixing kids with a moving prop. I know that the YE folks have been down this road before, but I'm just sayin'.

Bob Gardner

We were briefed that will not happen. I am to strap the kid in fully, close and lock their door, get in my side and do the same, and then start the prop. The area I'm loading will be away from the crowd of waiting kids.

Wow ... I'm thinking you might be more excited than the kids.

Have fun. Take it easy. Don't hit anything. Enjoy the day.

First you get to sign their application as the pilot.

Do a good passenger briefing to include where the barf bag is and what to do if the plane goes down and you're knocked out.

If you have a pilot ISO on your intercom don't be afraid to use it. I suppose having one wild kid asking non-stop questions is probably easier than having three :)

I usually try to talk about some of the instruments. They usually like to know how high they are and how fast they're going.

When you get to your altitude and trimmed up let them fly.

Definitely let them help you spot airplanes.

I will usually run cloudahoy and send them link to the track later.

Relax and have fun and do stay hydrated.

Each of my flight is usually 20 - 30 minutes.

After the flight you will have parents wanting pictures and you will sign the certificate and logbook.

Last month our chapter flew 82. I did seven flights with 20 YE's. You'll enjoy it.

With the planes in the pattern that you're talking about, get up and get away from the airport so that you can give the kids some of the attention.

The way we do it, ground personnel keep a close eye on ground safety, but yes, keep everyone away from the prop. That means parents, too. It can be a challenge to keep them corralled as the plane with their kid taxis in, but it's important for ground personnel to keep them back.

First you get to sign their application as the pilot.

Do a good passenger briefing to include where the barf bag is and what to do if the plane goes down and you're knocked out.

If you have a pilot ISO on your intercom don't be afraid to use it. I suppose having one wild kid asking non-stop questions is probably easier than having three :)

I usually try to talk about some of the instruments. They usually like to know how high they are and how fast they're going.

When you get to your altitude and trimmed up let them fly.

Definitely let them help you spot airplanes.

I will usually run cloudahoy and send them link to the track later.

Relax and have fun and do stay hydrated.

Each of my flight is usually 20 - 30 minutes.

After the flight you will have parents wanting pictures and you will sign the certificate and logbook.

Last month our chapter flew 82. I did seven flights with 20 YE's. You'll enjoy it.

Totally forgot about cloud ahoy. Didn't know whether or not I'd be able to meet / interact with the parents (aka get their email address). I wanted to send them a note, picture, that free book, and now cloud ahoy of course. Thanks for the tips on the briefing.

Can you find a GoPro camera to borrow?

Have fun! I'm not qualified to fly Young Eagles, but my plane has flown, probably, over 100; always piloted by Charlie, President of our EAA Chapter. Over the years, Charlie may have flown more Y-E than anyone in Maine(in more planes than mine). He is one of the very few pilots authorized to fly the aircraft at Owls head Transportation Museum www.OHTM.org.

HR

Attachments

• Y-E 61910_1.jpg
    Y-E 61910_1.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 34
  • Y-E61910_2.jpg
    Y-E61910_2.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Y-E 61910_3.jpg
    Y-E 61910_3.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Y-E Flight 61910.jpg
    Y-E Flight 61910.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 22
Have fun! I'm not qualified to fly Young Eagles, but my plane has flown, probably, over 100; always piloted by Charlie, President of our EAA Chapter. Over the years, Charlie may have flown more Y-E than anyone in Maine(in more planes than mine). He is one of the very few pilots authorized to fly the aircraft at Owls head Transportation Museum www.OHTM.org.

HR

Our YE coordinator has an Aeronca Chief and has flown over 600 YE's, one at a time.

I think Charlie may have such a high number under his belt. Several years ago he was honored by EAA in regards to his Y-E flights records.

HR

Another bit of advice... Prepare yourself mentally for a couple of scenarios. One is that someone pukes. You should prepare yourself with a barf bag in addition to the mental prep, too. ;) I've done ground crew for YE for several years, and I've only seen two pilots come back with a puked passenger, but it's good to be ready just in case.

Another is what to do if someone gets unruly, grabs the yoke, won't let go. I've never seen this, but I remember reading about a pilot in that situation (don't remember where, and can't find it now). It's not likely at all, but it sure wouldn't hurt to think about what you would do.

Above all, have fun with it! :)

Swift karate chop right to the throat...but probably not.

I haven't flown young eagles, but have flown quite a few kids on their first airplane ride. They definitely need a headset, adjusted to fit smaller heads. You need to be able to talk to them over the intercom. Take everything slower than normal, and explain what you are doing and what all the dials and gages are for. Tell them when you are going to turn, and explain to them before hand that you will be banking the airplane but not to worry. They will key off your demeanor, so stay cool and collected. Be careful and have fun. The world needs more young people like you willing to give of their time for someone else's kids. Way to go Kimberly! Thank you.

I have a second logbook (really cheap one) and I ask the YE to sign MY logbook! Afterall, I sign theirs, right?

Make sure there are cushions for the littler YEs so they can see out the front window. Altho our chapter has a collection, I spent $5 a few years ago and bought a couple cushions that go on outdoor furniture.

I have a second logbook (really cheap one) and I ask the YE to sign MY logbook! Afterall, I sign theirs, right?

Make sure there are cushions for the littler YEs so they can see out the front window. Altho our chapter has a collection, I spent $5 a few years ago and bought a couple cushions that go on outdoor furniture.

Wow. Another great tip, thank you. I need to make a list.

My flight school is being VERY generous by donating their CFI's and their G1000 as a working display. They are also buying hundreds of waters and other stuff to hand out. I even called a ground school instructor who is donating her plane for the day (to be flown by a CFI at my school who is checked out in her leaseback plane). This is really coming together, I've gone to meetings to promote on the host's behalf and he says I am the official YE spokesperson and wants me to come join his chapter and help organize more events in the future.

This is a big deal, I'm not just a pilot, I'm helping to organize and set up the event and have now brought:

A tent with waters and other handouts
A static display plane for the kids
A donated plane and CFI to fly the kids
Free books (thanks to the POA member listed above)
A ground school instructor

The more time I put in, the more I get out of this. It truly amazes me how much can be done if your heart is in something and you spend the time and make the effort. This has been in the works for months and I've been looking forward to something like this since the day I got my cert. I can't wait to share the joy of flying.

I even joined the EAA national and chapter ($70) and renewed my insurance which had run out ($200ish). That was all for this weekend. If it goes well I hope to donate my time in the future at other Young Eagle events.

It was my own discovery flight that made me realize I wanted to be a pilot. That's all it took for me. If I can touch just one person and help them to see the magic of flying that would make it all worthwhile.

Last edited:
It was my own discovery flight that made me realize I wanted to be a pilot. That's all it took for me. If I can touch just one person and help them to see the magic of flying that would make it all worthwhile.

That's the spirit! Yay Kimberly!

And it's 501(c)3 so you can deduct mileage and incidental expenses...

Back