Costs of replacing a panel in Piper Cherokee?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.

If I wanted a red-colored panel like the aircraft in this listing, how expensive would it be to have a shop to remove and replace it? If it were a blue aircraft, I might have a blue panel installed, or a green panel in a green aircraft, et.

I’m not talking of replacing/updating any of the avionics (which look pretty nice in this particular Cherokee), simply the panel color.

how expensive would it be to have a shop to remove and replace it?
Cost would be your time to remove the plastic trim pieces, prep/paint them any color you want, reinstall them, and make the log entry. Its all under preventive maintenance. Just be sure to use a quality paint system like SEM Color Coat which is specially made for plastic and vinyl surfaces.

That SEM stuff is great. But do it all as per SEM's instructions. Some of it is counterintuitive, like so:

1693842534654.png

Spraying the first color coat while it's still wet?? But you'd better do it that way. It works. The stuff sticks permanently. It fuses to the original plastic.

Most such interior plastic is ABS. Seat upholstery is PVC, unless it's leather or fabric.

https://semproducts.com/public/content/techsheets/SEM RAP-1 Training Manual.pdf

I’d rethink this if you plan on selling your plane someday, perspective buyers may not want a red instrument panel.

I’d rethink this if you plan on selling your plane someday, perspective buyers may not want a red instrument panel.
Especially if somebody wants to install a red caution light some time down the line.

Red or any other color will be dated sooner or later. I am old enough to remember all the fashionable colors of the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s.

1693859525689.png

Also factor in that pulling every gauge and switch out is going to create some additional problems. Old wiring and connectors can be brittle. Many are not installed for easy removal. Adding in new splices creates additional potential failure points.

This will not be as easy as unplug everything and plug it back in. I'd allow another $2k, over the panel removal and painting, for hidden issues and re-wiring
problems.

Back