Cost to build T-hangers

Have you tried Morton builders? They have built a lot of these type buildings.

No sir, we haven't. We aren't far enough along for that. I'm jumping the gun a bit, just trying to gather a little info for myself before we get going. Heck, the airport board hasn't yet been officially formed/activated at this point. The city council will review the applicants and make it official at their meeting next Tuesday, I believe. Thanks for the suggestion.

I appreciate the info. very much.

Those figures are based on recent projects in KCQB in Chandler, OK and KGMJ in Grove, OK.

Are those figures to purchase the building? Have it erected? What about concrete? How large of a building? Any extras (including doors)? What about earthwork? Asphalt? Utilities?

Yes, our project cost around $1,000,000 this time, but because of what we did, it won't be nearly the same amount of work when we mirror it about itself. Yes, the building cost and concrete work should be almost identical, but less earthwork & less asphalt for sure.

Here's what I have been working on. The site work and asphalt #'s need to be adjusted to about 1/2 because the project has been divided into two phases each 63 x 65' 4,095 sf. Most of the other items are for a 4,096 sf building

Keep in mind that these are my cost with about 8-k added for unknowns and with the exception of the erection of the building and the forming and pouring of the BUILDING pad, I will do my self.

I'll post a ready to go to work price just as soon as I have fire marshal approval.

Hoping to get started 1st of October:yes:

Leonard

Attachments

• 62 x 65 8-6-15.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
No sir, we haven't. We aren't far enough along for that. I'm jumping the gun a bit, just trying to gather a little info for myself before we get going. Heck, the airport board hasn't yet been officially formed/activated at this point. The city council will review the applicants and make it official at their meeting next Tuesday, I believe. Thanks for the suggestion.

When you get ready to move forward DEFINITELY call Morton Builders. They are a former client of mine.

Someday when I move to my airport home I'll be a client of theirs.

Are those figures to purchase the building? Have it erected? What about concrete? How large of a building? Any extras (including doors)? What about earthwork? Asphalt? Utilities?

Yes, our project cost around $1,000,000 this time, but because of what we did, it won't be nearly the same amount of work when we mirror it about itself. Yes, the building cost and concrete work should be almost identical, but less earthwork & less asphalt for sure.

Were basically in the same position as the latter half of your reply. Extremely minimal dirt work necessary. Road, taxiway, drainage, utilities already there. We won't have water or sewer. Very simple project.

Last edited:
In contrast to all the stories about dying airports in some areas, hangar space around here seems really hard to come by. Does anyone know what the approx cost is to build a 6-8 plane T-hangar structure? With plenty of land and multi-year waiting lists, I'm wondering why many of these airports aren't interested in building more hangars.
Last quote I got was about $80k for the building delivered and dropped.
With sliding doors. Add to that, cost of erection, slab, site work, land, power, water, wiring, plumbing, and you'll end up with about $250-$500k depending on where you are.
This is for a 6 unit Hanger.

The reason for not building many these days is simple. Return on investment. If it was a good investment many would be built. They simply can't charge enough per month to make it worth while. Building a simple t hangar today is a far more complex undertaking than say fourty years ago. Airport "advisors" get involved, politics gets involved, on and on. I watched the Amish build a row of t hangars in ny state some years ago.( private small airport) Dirt floors. Went up quickly , pole construction. Later, renters could pour their own floor if they wanted. Some did. Some just laid down tarps. Morton builders has these type buildings down to a science. Fast and efficient.

Its actually Morton Buildings not builders..... FYI, they are the name brand in the market (metal buildings) and are typically not the cheapest.

http://mortonbuildings.com/buildings/residential/airplane-hangar/

The reason for not building many these days is simple. Return on investment. If it was a good investment many would be built. They simply can't charge enough per month to make it worth while. Building a simple t hangar today is a far more complex undertaking than say fourty years ago.

*Ding, ding ding!!!*

Exactly.

For whatever it's worth, I'll also have the numbers for a 80' x 80' storage hangar with a horton door on it ready soon. I can provide those as well.

We used FullFab on our T-hangars...can't remember who's providing the storage hangar, but I'll check.

Menards is a home depot like chain in the midwest. If you go to the store, you can order a 60x60ft hangar for $37,073. A forklift, a welder and a couple of yards of concrete and you are in business.

The reason for not building many these days is simple. Return on investment. If it was a good investment many would be built. They simply can't charge enough per month to make it worth while. Building a simple t hangar today is a far more complex undertaking than say fourty years ago. Airport "advisors" get involved, politics gets involved, on and on. I watched the Amish build a row of t hangars in ny state some years ago.( private small airport) Dirt floors. Went up quickly , pole construction. Later, renters could pour their own floor if they wanted. Some did. Some just laid down tarps. Morton builders has these type buildings down to a science. Fast and efficient.

So if I understand both your comment and the underlying economics correctly, you are saying that they cannot rent out new hangars for the same price that they rent out older ones because they will not be able to recoup their building costs in a timely manner. Is that about it?

While I might agree with that on its face, there are other potential revenue streams that the airport might miss out on. If the airport runs the fuel concession, more airport tenants means more fuel sales. So even if it takes longer to pay off the hangar construction with rental income only, the additional fuel sales might far exceed the rental income shortcoming.

Also more airport tenants means more opportunities for aircraft maintenance providers and other aviation related businesses. Those could also bring more revenue to the airport.

While I might agree with that on its face, there are other potential revenue streams that the airport might miss out on. If the airport runs the fuel concession, more airport tenants means more fuel sales. So even if it takes longer to pay off the hangar construction with rental income only, the additional fuel sales might far exceed the rental income shortcoming.

Also more airport tenants means more opportunities for aircraft maintenance providers and other aviation related businesses. Those could also bring more revenue to the airport.

If airports understood this, they would kick out all the people who use the hangar as cheap subsidized warehouse space to store RVs, boats and junk.

We built a 6 pack of closed "T" hangars in 2010. The actual cost was about $335K but it included sewer and water main extension (considerible) and moving electric underground. I'm looking at the state grant records for the project (80/20) and don't have records handy to break out the individual costs. That cost did not include paving costs for an access taxiway and for apron space.

The sewer line ran approx. 1/2 mile and the water line about half of that.

So if I understand both your comment and the underlying economics correctly, you are saying that they cannot rent out new hangars for the same price that they rent out older ones because they will not be able to recoup their building costs in a timely manner. Is that about it?

What don't you understand? very few new aircraft being built. Very expensive to build hangars. Pilots are cheap and often times overextended financially. ( leave their airplanes sitting out for this reason)Small airports make very little income on fuel, often times have to split a delivery with one or more other airports. Many smaller operations used to sell either Piper or cessna to supplement their income. Gone! If hangars were a good investment we would not be having this conversation.

What don't you understand? very few new aircraft being built. Very expensive to build hangars. Pilots are cheap and often times overextended financially. ( leave their airplanes sitting out for this reason)Small airports make very little income on fuel, often times have to split a delivery with one or more other airports. Many smaller operations used to sell either Piper or cessna to supplement their income. Gone! If hangars were a good investment we would not be having this conversation.

I respectfully disagree....

There are numerous airports with waiting lists for hangars... Here in Jackson the waiting time is around 12-13 years.. Payback at these types of situations are feasible and make economic sense..

If airports understood this, they would kick out all the people who use the hangar as cheap subsidized warehouse space to store RVs, boats and junk.

Yeah, and the airports do need to kick those folks out.

Damn girl, you need to untwist your panties!

Here is what the OP was in case you forgot:
In contrast to all the stories about dying airports in some areas, hangar space around here seems really hard to come by. Does anyone know what the approx cost is to build a 6-8 plane T-hangar structure? With plenty of land and multi-year waiting lists, I'm wondering why many of these airports aren't interested in building more hangars.

His airport seems to be facing a shortage. That is what prompted the discussion. Your local situation may be different but that is in contrast to the airport under discussion and many others around the country.

Back