Cost for prop overhaul

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
Whats a ballpark cost on a prop overhaul? Hartzel scimitar 3 blade.

How about a hydrostatic test on an O2 bottle?

Looking for some price negotiating points.

Just had a prop overhaul in April. $3k done by a shop in Meechum.
It had a warpage that needed fixing and then sanding and balance.

Additionally, unbenounced to me they painted it and added some fancy decals.

Now I have had a 2 blade sand and balance for $500 but the 22 has a similar prop situation to the one you are describing.

Prop overhaul? Just run it till the blade slings off.

Prop? How many hours since last overhaul or since new? How many years ago was it overhauled &/or installed? Any dark stains around hub? Any bad nicks on the leading edge? Function ok? I personally would prefer purchasing a c-210 with that prop vs the original McCauley. I might be more concerned if the prop governor has more than 1,000 hours?

Can't make any suggestions for you on the O2 system.

Is the hydro you need for a portable bottle or installed?

For the hydro test, call around the shops and ask.

Installed I assume. A portable bottle I could take to a freaking welding shop couldnt I?

Not really because you are breathing the stuff. But you could take it to place that does fire department, medical oxygen and scuba hydros.

If you are going for prop OH then be prepared to buy new cause I heard that if your prop had been grinded more than few times then they will discard the props and now your plane is without the props and they wont put old ones back because then plane is not airworthy any more and they do not want their name on those props

If you are going for prop OH then be prepared to buy new cause I heard that if your prop had been grinded more than few times then they will discard the props and now your plane is without the props and they wont put old ones back because then plane is not airworthy any more and they do not want their name on those props

Good to know!

$24 to hydro test my 115 cuft bottle.....the local dive shop did mine.

Local SCUBA shop can answer the question about the hydrostatic test.

I keep track of my Top Speed. If my Top Speed is good, that means the engine and prop are good and I am good to go. Have to do a GPS groundspeed run into the wind and 180 back the other way and average the two, at the same density altitude. Then I write it down and compare. If I'm making same Top Speed, things must be pretty ok.

Last edited:
Without.

And I recently got an estimate from the shop that did the annual on the plane. Said $2900 - $3000.

Find out what a brand new prop costs then decide how much risk you are comfortable with. That should give you an idea how far you're are willing to push on prop issues.

I told a guy, we would give him what he wanted for a 182 but only with a fresh prop overhaul. That was $9k of risk I wasn’t buying into. (plane sat for sale for about a year after we walked away from it)

Don't overhaul the prop rather IRAN. Big difference in price...same end result.

Not really because you are breathing the stuff. But you could take it to place that does fire department, medical oxygen and scuba hydros.

Har...you know little of what you speak.

Don't overhaul the prop rather IRAN. Big difference in price...same end result.

Exactly. OH cuts the blades down, which the shops love to do so the blades don't meet min length and condenm it. Now they have you in for a replacement prop. IRAN doesn't introduce that opportunity cost. I never touch my props beyond nominal inspection.

I am willing to run that risk. My monkey, my circus. Prop and top OH, both words absent from my ownership vernacular LOL :D.

Back