Corrosion & treatment.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
A follow up from the other thread.

here are pictures of the Aft baggage compartment floor. it is .025" 2024-T3 it is considered structure.

how would you treat/repair it?

Attachments

• 20170413_183344.jpg
    20170413_183344.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170413_183806.jpg
    20170413_183806.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20170413_183411.jpg
    20170413_183411.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 117
Repace it all with new metal if the aircraft was worth the expense. If it was not worth the cost then I would have to consider parting it out and scrap the rest. If it was a labor of love I would replace all the affected metal and learn some new skills along the way. I love to learn new things.

With shear, break, and a drill I'd make a new one in a few minutes time and place the pattern in the bin.

why wouldn't you remove the corrosion with a bead blaster using 1100 grit glass, alodine and paint?

CESSNA INTERIOR APRIL 18, 2010 024.JPG Cuz the alclad layer is gone. Pitting will show. Replacement is easier and prettier than the a blast and paint. A few years ago I replaced my aft baggage floor. Had it powder coated to match the new panel and coordinated both with the custom zolatone and upholstery used after I pitched the standard interior panels. Added a hinged bulkhead door, too. All held with Dzus fasteners. I wanted it to look good. Now it does.

Last edited:
To my eye it appears the corrosion exceeds the acceptable depth into the material, there by compromising its structural integrity. Hard to tell just from the pics.

And a trolling we will go, a trolling we will go, fa la la ..... :D

To my eye it appears the corrosion exceeds the acceptable depth into the material, there by compromising its structural integrity. Hard to tell just from the pics.
Right on,, notice it is already removed?

Come on, Tom, go the extra mile!!!!
already have. The intermediate floor comes out next. I may even pull the cockpit floor to have a look there too.

Come on, Tom, go the extra mile!!!!
but your manufacture says it can be cleaned and returned to service. so much for doing maintenance to the minimum standard.

View attachment 52751 Cuz the alclad layer is gone. Pitting will show. Replacement is easier and prettier than the a blast and paint. A few years ago I replaced my aft baggage floor. Had it powder coated to match the new panel and coordinated both with the custom zolatone and upholstery used after I pitched the standard interior panels. Added a hinged bulkhead door, too. All held with Dzus fasteners. I wanted it to look good. Now it does.
How much weight did the powder coat add?

Here is a question for the group. what would happen if WD40 was applied to minor surface corrosion, then allowed to set for a few days? scrubbed with a plastic bristle brush, then washed with alum-prep?

In theory, chemically the WD40 should do nothing to minor surface corrosion except to "wet" it?

I have no idea as to your second question.

(and am now going to try to dive under cover so I don't get nicked by any shrapnel).

Here is a question for the group. what would happen if WD40 was applied to minor surface corrosion, then allowed to set for a few days? scrubbed with a plastic bristle brush, then washed with alum-prep?
Don't know the answer, but I do know that you never want to use WD40 on anything that you want to keep from corroding or rusting. WD stands for "water displacement" so where does any water or atmospheric moisture go once it's been displaced? :dunno:

Don't know the answer, but I do know that you never want to use WD40 on anything that you want to keep from corroding or rusting. WD stands for "water displacement" so where does any water or atmospheric moisture go once it's been displaced? :dunno:
It usually evaporates.
Believe that WD40 is nothing but a light oil. with some cleaners in it. If it makes you feel better use Kerosene in place of WD40 same thing will happen.

Believe that WD40 is nothing but a light oil.
It mostly is, so why would you risk bubbling/fisheyeing your corrosion primer/protection if you should for some reason not do a thorough enough prep job?

Last edited:
It mostly is, so why would you risk bubbling/fisheyeing your corrosion primer/protection if you should for some reason not do a thorough enough prep job?
We would wash then etch, prior to alodine to get the required water break free surface.
WD 40 actually washes off pretty easy.

but your manufacture says it can be cleaned and returned to service. so much for doing maintenance to the minimum standard.

The 150 MM says this:

upload_2017-4-14_1-2-32.png

And also:

upload_2017-4-14_1-4-4.png

glass blasting (beads) is not an approved method for removing corrosion or paint. It erodes too much material. Walnuts or another media maybe.....

Thought for sure you'd say it was a solvent.
Technically, anything that dissolves anything else is a solvent. Water is a solvent. Water can dissolve rocks. WD-40 Can dissolve light grease and other oils. Not the best cleaner, but it can clean. I prefer MEK, if I don't give a damn about the paint, or if I am gonna repaint anyway.

Expect the wrath of Tom. I told him water was a solvent not long ago... that's kinda why I posted it. He said solvents were petroleum based, or something to that affect.

Oh damn.... I have now become an unwitting accomplice to the feces flinging....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

glass blasting (beads) is not an approved method for removing corrosion or paint. It erodes too much material. Walnuts or another media maybe.....
Have you ever run walnuts abrasives in a Blast cabinet ? you should before making statements like that.

Expect the wrath of Tom. I told him water was a solvent not long ago... that's kinda why I posted it. He said solvents were petroleum based, or something to that affect.
The solvent you stated you use was boeings 88, that is a petro chemical.

Technically, anything that dissolves anything else is a solvent. Water is a solvent. Water can dissolve rocks. WD-40 Can dissolve light grease and other oils. Not the best cleaner, but it can clean. I prefer MEK, if I don't give a damn about the paint, or if I am gonna repaint anyway.
You may be technically correct, but in this industry the term "solvent" is applied to a particular petro-chemicals derived from a barrel of oil. MEK, Acetone, BE-88, and many others like Stodard solvent.

Glen didn't know that, so he trys to change the subject to some thing he understand or can look up on the internet.

Some call that " if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bull sh-t".

You may be technically correct, but in this industry the term "solvent" is applied to a particular petro-chemicals derived from a barrel of oil. MEK, Acetone, BE-88, and many others like Stodard solvent.

Glen didn't know that, so he trys to change the subject to some thing he understand or can look up on the internet.

Some call that " if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bull sh-t".
Well... I did say "technically"... Wasnt looking for an industry term. It was chemistry. Water is known as a universal solvent in chemistry.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

And water is a solvent too. It dissolves salt, sugar, and many other compounds well.

Remember, you are the guy who called ammonia an acid, so you really shouldn't be talking about chemistry.
upload_2017-4-14_20-51-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-14_20-50-45.png
    upload_2017-4-14_20-50-45.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 10
Back