Corrosion pictures - required treatment?

Is there actually anything you would recommend to clean the inside of the wings and stabilizers? I assume we could flush them at least with water!?

Heck, depending on your water you can introduce problems. You have a problem that has no simple or really good solution, that's the main problem. Fixing it correctly is not economically viable. Your best hope is an attorney at this point, and good luck, Florida may actually be kind to your suit if you're over 65. Like I said, call some lawyers and see if one will take it on contingency, that's your best indicator on whether you will win. Plenty of consumer lawyers advertising in FL...

[...] You have a problem that has no simple or really good solution, that's the main problem. Fixing it correctly is not economically viable. [...]

Did you even look at the pictures and read the text I posted today?
A little bit of corrosion on the surface + some old coating which can be removed. That's it.

I have no reason to doubt the opinion of the A&P with whom I spend quite some time today inside the plane. He has multiple decades of experience, saw all stages of corrosion over the years, is well respected in our EAA chapter and known for being very meticulous. Most importantly, he saw it with his own eyes.

I learned many things in this thread, which will help us with the purchase of the next plane and also to understand where we have to look at at our current aircraft. I took the concerns and recommendations which came up, looked for the most experienced A&P I could find, educated myself and looked together with him at the discussed areas. All we could find was old coating and some minor corrosion, particularly for such an old plane.

Because we took the input from this discussion, along with the expertise of our A&P, my wife and I feel comfortable with our findings and are convinced that the plane can be used for many more years, without major corrosion issues, assuming it gets a protective treatment.

Regarding our own plane, I have good news. We removed all inspection covers also also inspected the wing and wingstrut bolts, as well as the areas surrounding them. Gladly, we found lots of greasy goo but no corrosion in these critical areas (1st and 2nd picture). The tail also looked good (3rd picture)

That is very good news!

Is there actually anything you would recommend to clean the inside of the wings and stabilizers? I assume we could flush them at least with water!?

I wouldn't. I've made several suggestions, I would have a professional use ACF50 and coat the interior of the aircraft.

and go fly.

Did you even look at the pictures and read the text I posted today?
A little bit of corrosion on the surface + some old coating which can be removed. That's it.

I have no reason to doubt the opinion of the A&P with whom I spend quite some time today inside the plane. He has multiple decades of experience, saw all stages of corrosion over the years, is well respected in our EAA chapter and known for being very meticulous. Most importantly, he saw it with his own eyes.

I learned many things in this thread, which will help us with the purchase of the next plane and also to understand where we have to look at at our current aircraft. I took the concerns and recommendations which came up, looked for the most experienced A&P I could find, educated myself and looked together with him at the discussed areas. All we could find was old coating and some minor corrosion, particularly for such an old plane.

Because we took the input from this discussion, along with the expertise of our A&P, my wife and I feel comfortable with our findings and are convinced that the plane can be used for many more years, without major corrosion issues, assuming it gets a protective treatment.

That isn't what your first pictures indicated.

Sadly, this seems to be pretty much the standard, especially for first time buyers and / or people who know nothing about airplanes. So far, I heard way more stories like yours (and much worse) than reports that the plane needed nothing and was as expected.

I am really glad that we decided to get this 172 instead of a Mooney M20C or a PA-24, which I would have personally preferred. We thought that it would be wise to gain experience as owners with a basic plane, in good condition, which we could easily afford, including possibly necessary repairs. I would be a lot more nervous, if we would have a more expensive, complex aircraft sitting in the hangar, with more things to break, for which we spent all of our savings. Or, even worse, if all the savings would be gone and we would additionally have to pay off a loan for the plane. :yikes:

No. That's why I asked them to look for corrosion. The plane sat there for only 6 years, I therefore did not consider it to be a 'real' Florida plane.

Well, I wasn't talking about a law suit, but only about legal consultation. Frankly, even though I am not familiar with the US legal system, I agree with you that a law suit would not go anywhere. We bought it from the seller 'as is', he made no promises regarding its condition. I also agree with you regarding the 'paid opinion' and the Cessna Center. Their opinion was worth crap, I however doubt that this makes them liable for possibly bad decisions based on it.

To have a plane sitting outside, without even a roof to protect it from the elements, is IMHO plane-torture and should be prohibited. :(

I believe that we have already learned some very valuable lessons. Besides of that I now have a significantly better understanding of what to look for mechanically and in the aircraft's paperwork, I also learned that our next plane will certainly come from a dryer area and that I will participate in person in the pre-buy inspection. As 'dry area' also means long distance purchase for us, the logistics will be more complicated, but most likely worthwhile the efforts.

Regarding our own plane, I have good news. We removed all inspection covers also also inspected the wing and wingstrut bolts, as well as the areas surrounding them. Gladly, we found lots of greasy goo but no corrosion in these critical areas (1st and 2nd picture). The tail also looked good (3rd picture)

We however found some weird stuff in the wings and the tailfeathers (as initially posted). It turned out that the areas which looked like moss and what I thought was corrosion, were actually some kind of coating. We could scrape it of with our fingernails, some of it chipped off in big chunks (picture 4, front and rear of two of them). Picture 5 and 6 show the same area, before and after I chipped off the 'stuff' with my fingernails. Gladly, it was apparently only applied in areas which could be reached with a rattle-can through inspection covers or other existing openings, what also means, that they can be reached with a cleaning pad. Underneath the 'stuff', the metal looked good and had, like in the untreated areas, only very light corrosion, which can be, according to our A&P, easily be stopped with CorrosionX. Picture 7 shows such a untreated section of the wing. Actually, everything looked pretty much the same - the mossy stuff in the vicinity of the openings and good metal, with very light corrosion on it everywhere else.

We will now clean the accessible areas, remove the old coating and then have the plane soaked in CorrosionX.

I am really happy about this outcome and that we do not have a serious corrosion issue. :yes:

However, this does not change my disappointment about the Cessna Center - the old, mossy coating and the beginning corrosion should have been a part of the pre-buy report.

If I didn't know any better...... my gut feeling is the third pic shows a highwater /mud line.... Almost as if that plane was in a flood at one time in it's life..:dunno::dunno::idea:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39567&d=1432595812

Sadly, this seems to be pretty much the standard, especially for first time buyers and / or people who know nothing about airplanes. So far, I heard way more stories like yours (and much worse) than reports that the plane needed nothing and was as expected...

As I advised you earlier, don't go all sour based on your initiating experience. What you are saying above, about getting screwed as being the "standard", that's not true at all. Most internet forums are filled with posts of people venting their anger or frustration over a certain incident. Go to any automotive forum and nearly all of the posts are going to be from someone having a problem.

It's like the number 13 - it has a stigma attached to it as being unlucky so every time something unfortunate happens to someone on the 13th it gets noted. You don't hear anything about all of the people who had nothing unfortunate happen to them on the 13th and the next day, the 14th, there is nothing significant made of unfortunate events that occur on that day.

In your case you bought a cheap inspection camera, took a few blurry pictures and went OMG! then immediately posted them on the internet where several of us told you right off is a place where you're going to get a great number of completely unqualified opinions. You were soon after convinced you had been totally screwed.

Now, after having a qualified person actually look at the situation, you've completely turned around and said that there's no problem but you're still convinced you got screwed.

My final suggestion: put it all behind you. Have the corr-x or acf-50 applied and go enjoy your new airplane. Take a deep breath, forgive the Daytona Cessna Center and move on.

Back