Corrosion On Propeller Leading Edge

Yes, that does sound reasonable. There are a few more steps, including certifying the preventative maintenance, but you got the general idea. Anything more, a mechanic should be consulted.
Excerpt from the Sensenich repair manual below.

View attachment 57125
Direct out of the overhaul manual.
Can an A&P do major repairs to a prop in the field?
You mean like an annual or 100 hour inspection? FAR 43, appendix D below:

(h) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the propeller group:

(1) Propeller assembly - for cracks, nicks, binds, and oil leakage.

(2) Bolts - for improper torquing and lack of safetying.

(3) Anti-icing devices - for improper operations and obvious defects.

(4) Control mechanisms - for improper operation, insecure mounting, and restricted travel.

You give an AC when a FAR was asked for?

ACs are not enforceable regulations.
They are advisory, yeah. You choose to ignore them, do your own thing, and **** up big time, and see if they aren't sighted in the enforcement action...

Last edited:
P-3 props are Hamilton Standard
Yah Tom my bad you are correct on one point Hamilton Standard was the prop, 35 years since I worked on that aircraft. I did maintenance in accordance with the squadron standards according to the maintenance manuals.

Last edited:
You give an AC when a FAR was asked for?

ACs are not enforceable regulations.
We have now established that your attention span is too short to read a whole post. I said it's not a far or regulatory.

But the type certificate says "
Propellers of models described herein conforming with this data sheet (which is part of Type Certificate No. P886) and other approved data on file with the Federal Aviation Administration, meet the minimum standards for use in certificated aircraft in accordance with pertinent aircraft data sheets and applicable portions of the Federal Aviation Regulations provided they are installed, operated and maintained as prescribed by the approved manufacturer's manuals and other approved instructions."

The faa takes the position that stripping off the corrosion protection that was on it when it was certified does not meet the type certificate. I have talked to a few prop shops that have refinnished props that the faa has tagged due to being polished. Is it beatable in court? I do not want to spend the lawyer fees to find out.

So, if you think it's a good idea to do something the manufacture say don't do in their manuals, the faa says don't do in their ac's, and is generally accepted as something that should not be done. Go ahead, I'm sure " show me a far" will go over well when you are sitting in the Feds office.

Can you as the owner "DO" the inspections

"DO was meant "DO" maintenance repairs or what ever.

there is nothing saying the prop needs anything repairs during service.
Inspect it is all there is.

Please elaborate.

Direct out of the overhaul manual.

Here is the title of the document.

upload_2017-10-15_21-30-55.png

Notice the very first sentence. Sounds pretty good to me!

Here is the first page of the "Repair" section.
upload_2017-10-15_21-33-43.png
Second page.

upload_2017-10-15_21-34-54.png

The maintainer determines HOW to accomplish a task. And the manufacturer's instructions are a good place to start.

But that is me. To each his/her own! ;)

Here is the title of the document.

read para 7 do you believe that can e done by anyone but a propeller repair station?

What do you believe the overhaul manual is?
Do you believe propeller blade re-profiling can be done in service by an A&P?
Call the 1-800 number
OBTW SPRM 590= Sensenich Propeller Repair Manual

All propellers have a repair manual, it is just a matter of who can do the repairs given in them. you as an owner sure as hell can't, Me as an A&P can't, Me as an A&P-IA can't.

Every thing in that manual is a major propeller repair, and requires a prop shop DOM or trained repair man to return to service.

Last edited:
The maintainer determines HOW to accomplish a task. ;)
That maintainer is a trained prop shop repairman. not any A&P in the field.

Please elaborate.
You seem to not understand there are no FAR requirements that require you to do any thing to a prop in service except to inspect it for airworthiness.
There is nothing requiring the owner or mechanic to file, sand, or repaint etc. any part of the propeller when the prop is installed.
As you have already pointed out, we are allowed to inspect only. and in some props we are allowed to do minor maintenance, but even that requires a properly certified person to return to service, and an owner is not properly certified.

Who is this "you"? The owner? The maintainer?

What if Mr Owner goes out to his Cherokee, does his preflight, runs his hand down the leading edges of the prop and feels a sharp nick in one blade, which is unusual. Is said prop airworthy at that point? What would Mr Owner get Mr Mechanic to do? Is it time to remove the prop and send to a prop shop at this point?

PS I am both an owner and licenced maintainer. And I maintain props on a regular basis.

PPS You do not seem to understand that airworthiness is a continual process, not just once a year. How long is that signature at annual time good for? Not very long!

Last edited:
Every thing in that manual is a major propeller repair, and requires a prop shop DOM or trained repair man to return to service.

Nope. I can dress blades and alodine and paint and install and remove and check tracking and inspect, all referring to their recommendations or other acceptable data. The regs say I can as a licenced maintainer. If I find something beyond my scope of privileges, such as a bent blade or excessive damage, then I will be making a call to the prop shop.

Same idea goes for engines, mags, carbs, hoses, airframes, tires, etc, etc, etc.

Those who think that you can re-contour a prop with some Emery-cloth or sandpaper have never built a pinewood derby car with their kids.

Those who think that you can re-contour a prop with some Emery-cloth or sandpaper have never built a pinewood derby car with their kids.
you do know....aero is a small factor in getting those lil pinewood derby's to fly down the ramp.o_O

Paragraph 7 isn't required, ever. It's recommended.
How many props do you send to the Prop CRS per year?

And besides who said it was required? Is the something you decided I wrote?
I asked If JAWs thought it could be completed by a A&P in the field.

How many props do you send to the Prop CRS per year?

And besides who said it was required? Is the something you decided I wrote?
I asked If JAWs thought it could be completed by a A&P in the field.

The parts that I can legally perform, yes it could be completed in the field. And yes, I do them on a regular basis, as I indicated above. I will re-iterate below.

Tom-D said:

My reply:
Nope. I can dress blades and alodine and paint and install and remove and check tracking and inspect, all referring to their recommendations or other acceptable data. The regs say I can as a licenced maintainer. If I find something beyond my scope of privileges, such as a bent blade or excessive damage, then I will be making a call to the prop shop.

Same idea goes for engines, mags, carbs, hoses, airframes, tires, etc, etc, etc.

All this debate about who can do what work and no discussion about what kind of abrasives were used (or should be used) to remove the corrosion? Some of you guys are slipping!

That maintainer is a trained prop shop repairman. not any A&P in the field.
65.81 (a) General privileges and limitations.
(a) A certificated mechanic may perform or supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance or alteration of an aircraft or appliance, or a part thereof, for which he is rated (but excluding major repairs to, and major alterations of, propellers, and any repair to, or alteration of, instruments), and may perform additional duties in accordance with §§65.85, 65.87, and 65.95. However, he may not supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alteration of, or approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date. If he has not so performed that work at an earlier date, he may show his ability to do it by performing it to the satisfaction of the Administrator or under the direct supervision of a certificated and appropriately rated mechanic, or a certificated repairman, who has had previous experience in the specific operation concerned.

43 Appendix A, (b) (3) Lists what a propeller major repair is:
(3) Propeller major repairs. Repairs of the following types to a propeller are propeller major repairs:
(i) Any repairs to, or straightening of steel blades.
(ii) Repairing or machining of steel hubs.
(iii) Shortening of blades.
(iv) Retipping of wood propellers.
(v) Replacement of outer laminations on fixed pitch wood propellers.
(vi) Repairing elongated bolt holes in the hub of fixed pitch wood propellers.
(vii) Inlay work on wood blades.
(viii) Repairs to composition blades.
(ix) Replacement of tip fabric.
(x) Replacement of plastic covering.
(xi) Repair of propeller governors.
(xii) Overhaul of controllable pitch propellers.
(xiii) Repairs to deep dents, cuts, scars, nicks, etc., and straightening of aluminum blades.
(xiv) The repair or replacement of internal elements of blades.

(xiii) Repairs to deep dents, cuts, scars, nicks, etc., and straightening of aluminum blades.

HMMMMM. How would one determine if a cut or nick is too deep for field repair? :eek:

How about referring to the manufacturer's ICA's? See below for excerpt from the Sensenich Metal Repair Manual SPRM 590, since I am assuming the original post concerns a Cherokee, which usually use fixed pitch Sensenich p
upload_2017-10-16_18-25-43.png

As for finishing, all it says is to use a fine abrasive cloth. Plus also ...
upload_2017-10-16_18-32-18.png
And ...
upload_2017-10-16_18-33-42.png

It may appear like a lot of futzing around, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long and will ensure that your prop is in airworthy condition at all times. Blade dressing is a learned procedure and needs a licenced mechanic to certify it after repair. I would consider simple surface sanding, alodine treatment and paint touch up a preventative maintenance item and as such may be certified by an owner.

My 2 cents worth. :)

Last edited:
Hey Tom, that's why service bulletins and repairs are listed separately,
Because I did not write the web page :)

If were as smart as you'd like everyone to believe, you know that these service bulletins are the repairs allowed. and by who.

read'em then tell m SB are not required in GA

TO: SENSENICH DISTRIBUTORS, FAA APPROVED REPAIR STATIONS, AFFECTED AIRCRAFT OWNERS SUBJECT: INSPECTION OF PROPELLER BLADE AREAS FOR CORROSION- ALL SENSENICH FIXED PITCH

METAL PROPELLERS
COMPLIANCE DATE: AT ANNUAL OR 100 HR. INSPECTION
  1. If blades show greater than 6 square inches of corrosion, the propeller must be returned to an approved FAA- Propeller Repair Station for reconditioning.

Propeller Checks:

(1) If the propeller has been recently repaired or repainted, it MUST be rebalanced statically for horizontal and vertical balance. The best static balance is completed with the spacer attached, and using an end mount type balance stand. This is the first step in removing unwanted vibration.

Propeller Checks:

(1) If the propeller has been recently repaired or repainted, it MUST be rebalanced statically for horizontal and vertical balance. The best static balance is completed with the spacer attached, and using an end mount type balance stand. This is the first step in removing unwanted vibration.
Anyone here have the ability to do a vertical balance ??

SB's are not mandatory for private aircraft. :D

Pretty funny, you don't want to follow manuals any other time... LOL

Another assumption you know nothing about. simply trying to be cute. and failing.

Show us an picture of what you think is a prop.

Back