Corporate Pilots

Odd, the two netjets guys I know seem to have a pocket full of fives that they liberally spread around. I guess every organization has its turkeys.

I carry around a few 5s to give as tips to the line men. The service becomes unbelievably really good when the linemen would see me taxi in....

Flying in for a night fuel stop at KFNL (north Denver area) had my only interaction with a corporate pilot. I was on a 5 mile final, he was behind me in a P180 maybe 10 miles out? I went ahead and made a wide 360 to let him by. On the ground when I went to pay for the fuel he stopped to thank me. Said most GA guys can't be bothered to accommodate for faster traffic.

Probably from their own wallets and why the company just tried to sneak in forced retirement on them! LOL!!! :) Kidding. Kinda.
NJA allows for $5 maximum per service. Bring coffee and maybe the FO slaps a 5 down. Do a lav service then the captain slaps a 5 down. Bring ice and the FO slaps a 5 down........ so on and so forth. There was a time I'm told when NJA pilots were claiming lots of cash on their expense reports to the company because there was no limit. I don't always think the line service saw the cash that was being claimed either. Now NJA established a $5 max per service so they can easily track the money. On the other hand, when our company flys it's $20-40 per service as long as things are done correctly.

NJA allows for $5 maximum per service. Bring coffee and maybe the FO slaps a 5 down. Do a lav service then the captain slaps a 5 down. Bring ice and the FO slaps a 5 down........ so on and so forth.

Hey kid, so Warren Buffet doesn’t fire me, and since I only have a $50 bill... go write ten things you did for us on the comments on the invoice. :) LOL.

Heck, I know guys at NJ who tip themselves $5 when they get their own coffee.

Truly, most corporate guys are good guys. I was one for 20 years, and know many still today.

Eastern shore, Maryland (Cambridge); I had just run up when a Citation called, straight in; knew he'd see me, so I called "holding short", so he'd know I wasn't gonna pull out on him. Got a cordial thank you from him, and he sounded a little surprised, so some maybe some of us lighter/slower guys had been less than considerate in his experience. And I wanted to watch his landing, too. . .

I can’t say I’ve ever really run into any total azzhat Corp folks.

Their job seems good but they also often have some of the most demanding possible people as self loading cargo in the back sometimes, so it can’t all be roses and daisies.

Everybody’s got stuff they gotta do in any job and most of the time the rest of us have no idea what the other cockpit dwellers are dealing with...

Flying in for a night fuel stop at KFNL (north Denver area) had my only interaction with a corporate pilot. I was on a 5 mile final, he was behind me in a P180 maybe 10 miles out? I went ahead and made a wide 360 to let him by. On the ground when I went to pay for the fuel he stopped to thank me. Said most GA guys can't be bothered to accommodate for faster traffic.
This reminded me of a time I was returning from a long day in the Citation and was told to reduce speed to follow a Cessna five or so miles out for a straight-in. Well, we had him in sight, all lit up in the dusk, so I told my copilot to tell the tower he was way slower than us and we could easily pass him. So, the tower cleared us to land, we did, and then put the airplane in the hangar. I was sitting in my office doing paperwork and heard raised voices. It was the pilot of the Cessna yelling at my copilot for being rude on the radio and accusing us of thinking we owned the airport. So, I intervened. Called the guy into the office and apologized for offending him. I assured him that's not how we feel, since we both owned small planes ourselves and don't mind slowing down for traffic or flying the whole pattern when needed. It just wasn't needed that night. By the time the conversation ended, he was totally reversed in his impression as I walked him to the door with my hand on his shoulder. This need not have happened, but for the tone of voice, the choice of words and the cocked and loaded expectations of those on the radio that night.

Oh, and then I needed to remind my copilot we were the Company's ambassadors.

Last edited:
My buddy I haven't seen in a while flew in as sic in a Lear. He doesn't have3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days, isn't instrument current, and I wonder if he has a Flight Review.
The pilot doesn't let him fly, I guess he is just there to satisfy the 2 pilot requirement. Is this legal?

My buddy I haven't seen in a while flew in as sic in a Lear. He doesn't have3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days, isn't instrument current, and I wonder if he has a Flight Review.
The pilot doesn't let him fly, I guess he is just there to satisfy the 2 pilot requirement. Is this legal?
No. That said, 45 years ago I did the same thing in a Sabreliner. Not smart. Smarter now. :)

Makes you wonder why the company pays all those insurance premiums, then flies without insurance.

EDIT: I missed the "90 day" comment in your post. To be an SIC you need three takeoffs and landings in the previous 12 months including certain airwork, emergencies, etc., so actually your bud may be legal after all if he does have those.

They pay him $300 per day plus a per diem. He is a good guy, but a little bitter over the situation.
Note: he is over 65

Back