Converting my T-6 hours to civilian flight time.

michael owczykowski

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mike tango 215
so I am currently flying to T-6B. It may be the case depending on my upcoming board whether or not I will continue in Flight training in the military.
I have roughly 30 civilian hours (5 solo hours) and approximately the same number of hours in the T-6, no solo time.

Does anyone here know if i can convert my military hours over to civilian hours and if so how to do it? would it be easy to get my private pilot with these numbers. I am reasonably certain I can accomplish a solo check ride in the T-6 right now as far as my ability.

Last edited:
Yes you can convert the time. Depends on the service. You’re either Navy or Air Force. Use their definition of flight time and compare it to the FAA Part 1.1 definition and adjust as necessary. I knew guys in the Army that simply added .1 per flight.

"on my upcoming board weather or not I will continue in Flight training in the military." Think you meant "whether".

It's not complicated, and there is nothing to convert. T-6 primary time as someone who isn't pilot aeronautical rated in the USN or USAF, and who also doesn't have a PPL in the FAA side, is nothing more than dual received in Part 61 parlance. There is no hour multiplier, that's specific airlines' hiring internal allowances, not anything pertaining to FAA legal flight time logging. You can log every sortie in your civilian log book as single engine land flight time.

As to TPIC, the only time turbine PIC could be logged as such would be solo, which there are very little sorties of, and it's a non-issue for you as you never solo'd the T-6. Airlines are looking for FAR 1 definition of TPIC (who signed for the aircraft, not "sole manipulator of the controls" semantics buffooneries). But again we're talking about less than 10 hours here in any event, so it's moot.

As to utilizing these sorties to satisfy the training requirements for an FAA PPL, the problem is that USN or USAF training does not log events in a manner that would satisfy whoever is going to sign off on the applicant's practical test requirement accomplishment on a part 61 basis. The hours all count no doubt as loggable flight time, but it won't serve much else to satisfy part 61 PPL requirements, mainly due to the lack of documentation of training tasks accomplished, on a per sortie basis.

The good news is that experience is experience, and the repetitions afforded by the couple months of flying the T-6 should help in running through civilian PPL training to some easier degree, as a 172 is much slower pace than T-6B flight training syllabi for Uncle Sammy. Sorry to hear of your troubles OP, and I wish you all the best in your civilian flying endeavors moving forward.

I just relogged a whole slug of military flying to civilian flying to meet esoteric experience requirements of 141.35.

There is a little bit of a conversion. No doubt it’ll count as total flight time, so probably more useful towards commercial 250 hr than Private given you already have 30.

Also, I presume you flew 172s a bit (NIFE?) as well. That time is TOTALLY legit.

I hope the board goes well for you!

You just log it.

There is a conversion as the military counts take off to touch down, and civilian counts from first movement to fly to last motion after flying. So each flight is a couple of tenths extra.

I logged my military time in a separate log book to keep things clear. In my electronic log book, it is all in there, but it is flagged as military time.

OP, most of the answers here have assumed you're talking about the U.S. Is this a good assumption? I see the T-6 is flown in numerous other countries, and certain aspects of your post, combined with your user name, make me wonder if we're giving you the correct information if you are in fact in another country or on exchange with the US military.

You just log it.

There is a conversion as the military counts take off to touch down, and civilian counts from first movement to fly to last motion after flying. So each flight is a couple of tenths extra.

I logged my military time in a separate log book to keep things clear. In my electronic log book, it is all in there, but it is flagged as military time.

The USAF has been logging that additional "tenth of a..." officially already in the AFTO 781 since I was a student back in 2006. Thence, no conversion required.

Again, all moot for the OP as we're talking about 30 hours and a 3 month stint in AF/navy pilot training before washing out.

I can't speak for the USN logging or not logging that additional 0.1 in their official flight records. The USAF does.

When I left the USAF in 1973, they said we could multiply our military hours by 1.3 to get the civilian equivalent. I didn't bother.

A friend spent many hours aligning his military time to what the airlines wanted. It seems everyone has a slightly different twist so just adjust to the audience.

So military uses Hobbs time? I would have thought they would do tach time for some reason.

Last edited:
So military uses Hobbs time? I would have thought they would do tact time for some reason.

Where are they going to get "tach time" from?

And the jets I fly don't have hobbs meters, except on the APU.

I assumed there was someway to measure the hours the military engines ran for maintenance.

So how do military pilots track time? Manually?

Logs and recs. That would be a staff that does it all for you.

As for maint, pilots logged the time after each flight.

I assumed there was someway to measure the hours the military engines ran for maintenance.

There can be a counter on the engine itself that tracks things like starts and certain times the engine goes above a specific parameter (Ng/Np).

Pilot flight time is generally done manually. When I lifted I’d announce on ICS “off at…” But, as you can see, this definition of flight time for the Army doesn’t match FAR 1.1 so an adjustment could be made. Personally I never did. My mil logs matched my civ log.
8474C7FA-96F7-49AD-A260-2D430B15491C.jpeg

Yep. Make a note on your knee board on taking the duty runway time and pulling into the line for the hot brake check time.

There's no tachometer on jet engines. We logged our time from takeoff to landing.

Sort of, but in % RPM, not actual RPM.

And for some reason, I still remember than 100% RPM for the J-69 in the T-37 is 21,730 RPM.

I don't remember how we did it in UPT in the trainers. In the C-130, the flight engineer was responsible for logging takeoff and landing times.

The RSU logged take off and landing time. Didn't you have to spend time "in the box"

At Laughlin, two students in the "box." One logged time and any comments by the controller. The other was the spotter, and checked gear and flap configuration for every aircraft rolling out on final.

One some engines there is. In the A-10 was what was called the "eater box." I never learned what the actual acronym was and what it stood for. But it tracked various parameters that went into the engine maintenance requirements.

My friend's son is a new Navy f18 pilot. I asked him if he was a private pilot, I thought he had gotten his pp through the navy while he was in the academy but the program only brought him to first solo. Turns out he's a commercial pilot. He said there was an equivalent experience form he filled out, only needed to get an faa examiner to sign it. Now he's got his commercial.

In the logbook where I logged my MIL time, I logged the time as the military did (take off to touchdown), and then had a column for ground time.

The RSU logged take off and landing time. Didn't you have to spend time "in the box"

At Laughlin, two students in the "box." One logged time and any comments by the controller. The other was the spotter, and checked gear and flap configuration for every aircraft rolling out on final.

I was at Williams, and yes, did spend some time out next to the runway with a clipboard. Thanks for the reminder.

My friend's son is a new Navy f18 pilot. I asked him if he was a private pilot, I thought he had gotten his pp through the navy while he was in the academy but the program only brought him to first solo. Turns out he's a commercial pilot. He said there was an equivalent experience form he filled out, only needed to get an faa examiner to sign it. Now he's got his commercial.

One of my former students got his Private Pilot certificate with me when he was in high school. He got the rest of his ratings at the University of North Dakota, then joined the US Navy and is now flying F/A 18s.

I entered the Air Force with no flight experience, took the commercial written at the end of training, and received a commercial certificate with SEL, MEL and Instrument ratings. Since the training jets have engines in the fuselage, my MEL was "limited to centerline thrust." When I got out of the service I was able to get a new certificate without the limitation based on my time flying C-130s.

I never had a Private Pilot certificate.

I did my PP ASEL before the military.

Did the Mil Comp exam and got my Commercial AMEL Limited to CLT and IA from that. No Comm ASEL as I never flew a single engine military aricraft.

I got the CLT restriction removed when I passed my initial check ride in the A-10.

So military uses Hobbs time? I would have thought they would do tact time for some reason.

The USN (and USMC) uses takeoff to land time. No additional 0.1 or whatever. My understanding is that the 0.2/0.3 conversion for mil to civ flight time is to account for the fact that we don't log taxi/engine run time that doesn't involve actual flying. So in that sense, it would still apply to a guy or gal flying in primary, even if the overall effect is negligible on the logbook (0.2x30 sorties is pretty much nothing). I assume since the OP said T-6B, we are talking Navy or Marines. Good luck OP on your future endeavors

Since the training jets have engines in the fuselage, my MEL was "limited to centerline thrust." When I got out of the service I was able to get a new certificate without the limitation based on my time flying C-130s.

I got my original MEL with a CLT restriction (based on my F/A-18 time). A few years ago, they stopped requiring that distinction because there is no published VMC for the Hornet/Super (and I believe the same is true for the Eagle/Raptor). I'm not sure if I understand the rationale, but that is what was written in the FAA release at the time. So when I got my ATP shortly thereafter, I was not required to do the VMC demo any longer.

Back