Converging from opposite sides

Anyone who lands regularly at non-towered airports have experienced converging approaches. My standard radio call after hearing their call is, "Spamcan 123, please verify intent to land on tailwind runway ##." It politely gets the point across. About half the time, they switch, either because they mis-spoke or didn't check the winds. There also seems to be a correlation between runway length and willingness to switch runways. The longer the runway the LESS inclined the pilot is to switch.

I've pulled many 360s and even left the pattern to return on the 45 for this reason and other reasons. It's all about protecting my plane and my life.

When I do flight reviews, one of the questions I'll usually ask is whether the pilot has ever landed with a tailwind. Most often the response is no, and also often it's accompanied by a look of horror, like that would be violating some cardinal sin.

So I tell them we're going to do one. I briefly discuss the illusions, and then present a scenario or two where they might have to do so. For instance, I landed with a tailwind once because there was no approach to the other end of the runway and the ceiling was too low for circling. So it was either land with a tailwind or go somewhere else.

If the wind isn't too strong, maybe up to 10 knots, we'll take off with a tailwind too, so they can see the effect it has on ground speed and climb gradient.

But I am always amazed at the initial reluctance.

..landed with a tailwind. … take off with a tailwind…/QUOTE]
These are things I wish more CFIs would do during primary/initial training. Doesn’t have to be much tailwind, either.

When I was training for my SP ticket, one evening my CFI and I had the Leesburg airport to ourselves. He asked the tower to mix things up a bit, so the tower set us to doing a figure 8 around the runways. Headwind, left x-wind, tailwind, right x-wind, then start it over. Lots of fun and great learning.

When I do flight reviews, one of the questions I'll usually ask is whether the pilot has ever landed with a tailwind. Most often the response is no, and also often it's accompanied by a look of horror, like that would be violating some cardinal sin.

So I tell them we're going to do one. I briefly discuss the illusions, and then present a scenario or two where they might have to do so. For instance, I landed with a tailwind once because there was no approach to the other end of the runway and the ceiling was too low for circling. So it was either land with a tailwind or go somewhere else.

If the wind isn't too strong, maybe up to 10 knots, we'll take off with a tailwind too, so they can see the effect it has on ground speed and climb gradient.

But I am always amazed at the initial reluctance.
I did a few with my initial cfi. It was a good exercise to see the difference.

KLAM is a good example. Land west takeoff east. 3000' rising terrain just west. Los Alamos restricted area immediately to the South.

There are a number of sloped runways in Western WA and mountain strips that are "kind of" one-way. Sekiu (11S) and Oak Harbor (OKH) spring immediately to mind. Landing and takeoff direction, winds, and slope must be considered. I've operated with light tailwinds at both. Even with a 5 kt tailwind the performance change is noticeable.

Occasionally, one is forced into a tailwind operation by pattern direction, noise abatement, or the tower if there is one.

Back