'Conventional' gear.

CaptainXap

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Captain Xap
Get real. taildraggers are no longer conventional.

Do people still refer to diamond-frame bicycles as 'safety bicycles'? (As opposed to the 'ordinary')
Do people still refer to 'safety razors'?

Taildraggers may have been conventional once, but now they're the exception. Referring to them as 'conventional' is just wishful thinking.

While we're at it, let's de-Frenchify the aviation language as well. No more "aileron", "empennage", "canard", or "hangar". Let's replace them, respectively, with:

"Freedom wing"

"Freedom tail"

"Other freedom wing"

"Bob"

:)

Ron Wanttaja

Do people still refer to diamond-frame bicycles as 'safety bicycles'? (As opposed to the 'ordinary')

Taildraggers may have been conventional once, but now they're the exception. Referring to them as 'conventional' is just wishful thinking.
You don't have something better to be annoyed about?

How about we call it "superior" instead?

What's a "standard transmission" in a car?
Depends where you live. In the USA, it's usually a torque converter automatic. In much of the rest of the world, it's a manually shifted synchrmesh one.

I haven't heard a manually shifted transmission referred to as standard in a very long time.

What's a "standard transmission" in a car?
Guessing here, don't know your motive behind asking, but I would say its a non-automatic engine enhancement torque application machine.

Maybe so, but as long as everyone knows what you are talking about, changing the terminology will only add to the confusion.

I can drive a manual just fine...if it has syncros that work. But that whole double-clutching thing is beyond my current skill set.

When I was a kid, we had an older neighbor who had an even older surplus postal jeep he'd drive around. No syncros. When he drove it, every time, it sounded like he was grinding off half the gears at each shift. No idea how that thing kept running. Still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I fly conventional-gear aircraft and shave with a safety razor because I'm a real pilot and a real man. I'm sorry you never acquired these skills, but I don't really care what you think. HAND.

You have to remember general aviation trails the rest of the world by about 50-70 years

The FAA owns the rules, writes the rules, and defines the terms used in those rules.
If you are into tilting at windmills, carry on.

Straight razors are too dangerous for me. And some barbers are too twitchy.

Same people that write the copy for radio stations playing: "The Hits of the 80s, 90s and Today." I mean, it's been "today" for 22 years. They need to do better.
Don't get me started on "Classic rock."

Ron Wanttaja

I fly conventional-gear aircraft and shave with a safety razor because I'm a real pilot and a real man. I'm sorry you never acquired these skills, but I don't really care what you think. HAND.

I fly helicopters and don't shave very often. Still a real man, last I checked.

In the instrument procedure world, non-RNAV procedures are referred to as "conventional" (also "ground-based"). While this is certainly more recent than tailwheel aircraft, I'd say that with 7000 RNAV procedures in the U.S. and only 5000 non-RNAV, "RNAV" has already become more standard than "conventional" procedures. Maybe "legacy" would be a better word.

But I'm not about to go tilting at that windmill.

Besides, you still "hang up" your phone. Mine even literally has a button that says "hang up".

And what's more, this doesn't even remotely confuse our 14-year old daughter. :D

Why does everyone typically refer to biplanes as biplanes but do not refer to monoplanes as monoplanes?

Besides, you still "hang up" your phone. Mine even literally has a button that says "hang up".

And what's more, this doesn't even remotely confuse our 14-year old daughter. :D
And we still "dial" a phone number. When was the last time anyone here used a dial phone? I have one in a box in the basement. When I was still teaching in the flight school we also still had a landline phone, and I plugged this dial phone in and left it on an end table in the living room, for visiting students to puzzle over. Was hilarious watching them trying to figure out what it was all about.

And we still "dial" a phone number. When was the last time anyone here used a dial phone? I have one in a box in the basement. When I was still teaching in the flight school we also still had a landline phone, and I plugged this dial phone in and left it on an end table in the living room, for visiting students to puzzle over. Was hilarious watching them trying to figure out what it was all about.

Probably 20 years ago before the lines got switched over to recognize the digital only. For a while I also had a push button phone that sent the pulses like a dial phone would. Still have the dial phone in the shop, disconnected as I don't have a land line.

Back