Controllers...what are your pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by Chrisj13, Sep 24, 2016.

1. gsengle

gsengle Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gsengle
    Alas such is the danger of creating a thread on controller peeves on *pilots* of America ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    So, this is one of your pet peeves, then? :)

Just checking... heh heh.

mscard88 and gsengle like this.
  3. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Counter-alas, some of us happen to be both. ;)

MIFlyer and mscard88 like this.
  4. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    This is not a peeve really, just an opportunity for me to learn how atc works.
    A lot of my flying is on the fringes of the NAS with little traffic it seems, and I often key up to talk to a center controller who has turned off his mic for my part of his sector. So he hears me, but I cannot hear him or the other pilots he is talking to.
    (Be assured I always listen in for a lengthy period to ensure I am not talking over someone.)

So I call up center and immediately, atc switches on their mic for my sector - I can hear a pause, followed by part of his instruction to another a/c. (I cannot hear the other pilot as all that is taking place on another frequency.)

The main issue is that I don't want to be walking on anyone, least of all atc.

So, in my mind, if he left his mic on for my part of his sector, I would hear him talking to other pilots even if they are on another frequency, and would not fill his ears at an inopportune time.

Why does that mic get turned off? I'm sure there is a good reason.

5. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Controller peeves, not your questions thread! Geez start your own thread, or post under one that deals with ATC questions/inquiries/complaints etc! ;)

Timbeck made me say this BTW. :D

Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  6. Timbeck2

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Well done Mark, well done.

Dave, could it be that instead of "turning off his mike" the controller is just talking to military guys on UHF frequencies?

7. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    I can't be sure but these seem to be carriers. As soon as he flips the mic switch on I can hear him and it sounds like the usual day to day stuff that carriers get and it happens so often - I know the types of instructions they give to mil and it is not that often so I pretty sure it is not them. Around here they are down lower, often in flights of 2+, asking for blocks, or popups back to Del Rio. I have ABQ ctr's number, I should just call them.

8. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    They can select different transmitters for a certain freq based on the location of an aircraft. They also have different VHF freqs up at once and like Tim said, they have UHF up for military as well. No way of getting around transmitting while there's another aircraft transmitting on another freq.

9. Timbeck2

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Some controllers don't like to simulcast on different frequencies. Myself, I don't care to do all the push button gymnastics it requires therefore I blast away on all of them. It could also be policy that whomever the controller is talking to, is on a discreet frequency and the controller is required to come off transmit on non-discreet frequencies. Who knows, you said you had ABQ's number, ask them.

10. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Yes, I cannot hear the other a/c if they are on another freq so that is going to happen.
    But my question is about stepping on the controller. Go back up.

11. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    might just do if time permits; I really hate being provided with the trap of stepping on them.

12. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    If they've selected a different transmitter site for that freq (high vs low), most likely you're not in the same area and not talking over that controller.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  13. luvflyin

luvflyin Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    There are some center frequencies that have more than one transmitter site for the same frequency. This will happen in large sectors with line of sight from terrain issues. Even if the controller transmits on all of the frequencies for his sector simultaneously, he will have to flip a switch to select the transmitter site for that particular frequency. It is possible for you to step on the controller inadvertently if you are in an area where you don't hear him transmitting because he is not on the remote antennae site that covers the area where you are.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Why can that switch not be left 'on'. There must be some downside that is not being said.

bluesky74656 likes this.
  15. luvflyin

luvflyin Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    The switch is not an on/off switch. It's an antennaeA/antennaeB switch. I don't know the technical details of why, but it can't be transmitting at the same time, on the same frequency, from two different antennas. I suppose it could "wired" to do so but might sound awful. There are some people here that are experts on radio stuff. Maybe they'll jump in and give us some details.

16. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    That would explain it, thanks.

17. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    He's talking about sectors where there's a transmitter on say, one side of a mountain on the same frequency as one on the other side.

For high altitude traffic, either one works. They can hear either transmitter site.

For low altitude traffic, anyone on one side of FB mountain won't hear transmissions made by the controller on that transmitter on the other side.

But the controller flips transmitter sites when they need to talk to you in the low level bugsmasher on the other side of the mountain.

They can't transmit on both at the same time because then all the high altitude traffic would hear is a heterodyne squeal because they'd hear both transmitter sites.

I've had weird times where I was both told I would be in and out of radar coverage down low and also could only hear very noisy transmissions from the controller in the desert southwest and then the controller comes on nice and clear with a call for me... that's the only way you can tell they're using multiple transmitter sites on the same frequency.

If the other transmitter is blocked enough by terrain or whatever -- you would just hear silence in your cockpit down low, but they might be working a ton of traffic on the "other side of the mountain".

18. TheGolfPilot

TheGolfPilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Golfpilot
    This sounds like Hawthorne. First time I went there I drove the controller nuts because I couldn't see it. I got the hint

19. Dave S.

Dave S. Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    thetexan
    Changing freqs before being told.

Translating the instruction "resume own navigation" to mean go to 1200, change freqs and stop listening.

Calling inbound 6 or 7 miles off the end of live departing runways.

Translating "make short approach" to mean nice, long, leisurely, turns to base.

Initial call-ups during overloaded times and spilling their guts with information before the controller says, go ahead!!!

These are a few of my favorite things.

tex

20. Timbeck2

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    A good controller will never say "go ahead." ;)

denverpilot likes this.
  21. Joshuajayg

Joshuajayg Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Joshua
    I thought initial callup should be identity, location, and request. Is that what you are talking about or are they reciting their first 40 years of life on call up?

22. Radar Contact

Radar Contact Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kevin
    I'd say that is a perfect call up. All I would throw in is type and altitude.

23. Joshuajayg

Joshuajayg Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Joshua
    I meant for type and altitude to be implied by identity and location.

Cherokee 12345 over the tanks at 4,500, inbound for landing.

Radar Contact likes this.
  24. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Forgot the ATIS. ;-)

"Cherokee 12355 over the tanks, 4500, landing, Quebec."

Ha. Always a way to do it better.

I will say that if you keep your Comm skills up and keep stuff as tight as that above, you'll get service from even the most overloaded controller, for the most part.

You aren't their distraction or their mental problem. You fit their "brain flow" if you aren't babbling on, etc.

It's a natural human reaction. If two people walk up to my desk and have IT problems and one can articulate their problem clearly, guess who gets service first? :)