BlackManINC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jabroni
So from my understanding, the constant pressure chart gives a 12 hour forecast of weather conditions at different altitudes. It shows areas of maximum Vorticity, relative humidity, and wind speeds. As of right now there is a massive frontal system moving west to east across the entire country bringing lots of rain showers and snow. I just need someone to explain how I'm supposed to relate this to the constant pressure chart, basically, how am I supposed to use it. What do the letters X and N mean? I'm assuming the X means an area of positive Vorticity Advection and the letter N means negative Vorticity advection.

Constant Pressure Chart 500MB: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nam/12/nam_namer_000_500_vort_ht.gif

@scottd scott@avwxworkshops.com

Scott is one of the better (and most available) weather educators we have in the GA world.

Oh ok, thanks. Quite frankly, this chart doesn't seem that reliable for the fact that its updated only twice per day every 12 hours which is not nearly enough considering the rate at which the weather changes.

Now that I understand how to read a constant pressure chart, its awesome how easily I can tell where the most severe weather is likely to be before looking at any other chart, such as the surface analysis chart. Now I can actually put this thing to some good use. Its not until you learn how to use the constant pressure chart that you get a truly full picture of current and expected conditions.

Back