Congratulations Tristan

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Tristan flew from Stillwater, Oklahoma all the way to Lincoln, Nebraska over the weekend (with another stop somewhere). This flight was done in order to meet the long cross country requirement of the commercial certificate.

This is the first cross country of any distance that she has done solo and she has worked really hard over the last few weeks to overcome personal obstacles. Not only was this flight a challenge due to the very distance she also had to deal with the Lincoln class C and less than ideal weather and visibilities. She also is not cheating with a GPS like the vast majority of us do.

I have a snapshot of the radar that was current as she landed along with a recording of her talking to Lincoln Approach (all silence time was edited out).
tristan_radar.jpg

Radio Conversation:
http://www.jesseangell.com/forums/tristan_radio.mp3

Tristan,

After watching Jesse pace all day Friday, I was so glad to hear that you made it safe and sound. You did great this weekend! Keep it going.

tristan - excellent! the long comm cross country is a great learning opportunity. its great to actually go somewhere worthwhile instead of just picking an airport 254 miles away like i did. congrats!

tristan - excellent! the long comm cross country is a great learning opportunity. its great to actually go somewhere worthwhile instead of just picking an airport 254 miles away like i did. congrats!
It is really the first time that you will see WX that can be a lot different than what you took off in. I find that after doing a few of those really long XCs that a 100NM flight seems almost local.

Congrats Tristan! Now the 6Y9 trip should be a cake-walk for you. ;)

Obviously the Lincoln Charlie was no big deal. Tristan has great radio work. The flight sounds great all I have hear tells me she is a competent pilot no wonder she did well. Good on her.

Nice job, Tristan! I have yet to do my X/C for the commercial, though I've flown several flights that would have qualified... if only I'd made one more enroute stop! Urrrrgh!!!

You rock, Tristan! Good going, now they're gonna start to get easier and easier!

She's GOOD!-
Nice sign on. :)
Couldn't get ATIS, got it read to her.
Couldn't see the runway, "request vectors to final"
STUDENT pilot.
That rocks!

Small package, big heart. Betcha you got a big grin when first you heard her voice, J.

Edit: I never thought to ask for vectors in VMC when I couldn't spot the field (familiar or not)- thought it was my obligation to blunder around, hoping it'd pop-out at me.

Nice work!

I have a snapshot of the radar that was current as she landed along with a recording of her talking to Lincoln Approach
That was fun listening to Tristan. :)

Tristan, it sounds like you did well on your long cross country. One more obstacle overcome...one more challenge met and dealt with. :cheerswine:

Nice going Tristan. :cheerswine:

What made you pick Lincoln anyway? ;) :D

Way to go, Tristan!! Bet Jessie's just a little bit proud of ya.

Jim

Ok Tris, for your next flight, come on out an pick me up in San Diego on the 28th.:D

It was quite an adventure both scary and rewarding. I flew from Stillwater, ok to LNK on Friday, stayed for the weekend, then flew home today. It's funny how worried I get that I'll forget to find a frequency or feel like something unimaginable is going to happen, but once I'm enroute, everything seems to settle down into a flow. I've become pretty good in my opinion with VORs and crossing and or following a radial. It still seems pretty mysterious that somewhere out there is a city you have to find. There are no road markings or big city signs you can see from thousands of feet up so you have to use your best judgment in determining which city is which and those VORs definitely help to confirm.
I think probably the neatest part about the flying portion was flying by Wichita international and seeing the airliners take off underneath your left wing, not to mention all the houses and business buildings. I couldn't pick them all out, but there are also many small airstrips scattered throughout the Wichita area including Cessna and I believe Beechcraft's fields. I hear also that there is a huge Stearman fly in each year that is pretty neat to go to.
Salina was a 70 mile jog to the north and although their runways could use a little TLC, the FBO offers free cookies (confirmed by an earlier visit). Which, as every pilot knows, could turn into a reasonable fuel stop just for that!
From there was a 127 mile northeast trek to Lincoln. That part was the loneliest portion of the entire trip. Kansas city center cannot pick you up below 6,000 feet and neither can anyone else I know of. FF is out of the question, so you're on your own. There's nothing to see and no one to hear so picking depicted landmarks is somewhat tricky at times, not to mention in visibility decreasing the closer you get to Lincoln. Thankfully it didn't drop to 5 and light showers until about 10 miles out. By then, Lincoln approach picked me up and vectored me in. BTW, I have to thank Jesse for giving me the tip on asking for vectors, it helps in an unfamiliar area. Approach and Tower were surprisingly friendly about it.
Jesse picked me up at the airport from which I later saw the true weather that I had just missed. Sometimes I wish I had a few more toys with pictures to play with in the airplane, but until then, I'm greatfull for what I can get.
The weekend was relaxing and my last vacation before school starts tomorrow.
Although, unsure at first looking at a huge rain mass hovering over my home airport, I headed home today after seeing it was moving east. The flight back went pretty smoothly. I stopped in Ponca city for a short break and needing to adjust. I ended up meeting a nice EAA 'er filling up his cessna who let me inside the EAA building for the restroom since I had arived after hours. He was very friendly and offered me a gaterade and an invitation with tickets to a huge pancake breakfast they have every month at the EAA hanger. I said thanks and we both jumped in our airplanes. He took off and I did a run up. For some reason the airplane wasn't wanting to get power and shook much like carbon build up. It started to worry me but after some convincing and manipulation that took patience, like magic, it stopped and purred. I gently took off, and flew my 30 min flight home.

The sun was creating a deep orange, sliced in half by a thin strip of cloud as I turned out of the Flight center parking lot. It seemed to fit in the background amongst 20 other orange and white cessnas including the one I made my 600 nm round trip in. Its still sinking what all happened and what I think I learned during my excursion north. I think I'm beginning to get a little confidence in my XC ability although I know I have a long road ahead of me, many obstacles to overcome, and a ton more to learn. In the end, it makes me feel better to know that a month ago, I wouldn't want to fly 50 miles on my own, now it's a little like next door. It's a good feeling accomplishing a big portion of a rating and a great feeling knowing when it comes to the event itself you are capable of doing it on your own.

Last edited:
Knowing some of the conversations from the Babes board, Tristan, YOU GO GIRL! We knew you could do it!

Missa

Edit: I hope you posted this there too for those who don't visit here!

Hey Tris... great job on the x-c flying and the radio work!

You did great, Tristan - it's been good reading about your progress and seeing you move ahead, in skills, confidence and judgment (although, that last one's a little shakey, seems like ... I mean, JESSE??? :D).

Great job, kiddo! :)

Awesome, I'm glad you had a great time and a safe flight. It sounds like it was no later than twilight.

I love cross country flight, especially night time. Last Christmas' trip was nine hours at night of fourteen total. I told one of the UPS pilots I talk to I'd love flying night freight; that I had done quite a bit of night flight, including cross country. He responded with, "Single engine, night flight? Better you than me!" I just smiled, knowing what I enjoy most. :)

Tristan flew from Stillwater, Oklahoma all the way to Lincoln, Nebraska over the weekend (with another stop somewhere). This flight was done in order to meet the long cross country requirement of the commercial certificate.

Um..;

did you mean to say commercial?

or Private?

For some reason I thought Tristan was still working on the PPL, and the discussion about 50 miles not being a big deal anymore reinforces this...

Plus isn't the commercial more like 250?

Just seeking clarity.

BTW: Great job Tris! :)

Oh, and just to be a smart alek...
This is the first cross country of any distance that she has done solo
I think all cross country flights have to have some distance. ;)

Nice job Tris. You dealt with weather, ATC, and everything. You know you're on a long XC when your plan calls for departing when the destination wx is bad with the expectation that it will be fine by the time you arrive.

Perhaps you can get the Salina FBO to send some cookies to the Midwest Fly-in giving Tony and Jesse some worthy competition?

So what's left before the commercial checkride?

Tris, interesting thing.

Once you start to fly beyond the horizon from your home airport, flying becomes something so much more than a hobby.

You have the sky in your soul (so to speak), and so much ahead of you. I am envious of all that you'll do.

Knowing some of the conversations from the Babes board, Tristan, YOU GO GIRL! We knew you could do it!

Missa

Edit: I hope you posted this there too for those who don't visit here!
You got it Missa, Copy and pasted in Babes! Hope they enjoy.

Awesome, I'm glad you had a great time and a safe flight. It sounds like it was no later than twilight.

I love cross country flight, especially night time. Last Christmas' trip was nine hours at night of fourteen total. I told one of the UPS pilots I talk to I'd love flying night freight; that I had done quite a bit of night flight, including cross country. He responded with, "Single engine, night flight? Better you than me!" I just smiled, knowing what I enjoy most. :)
Night is my next big challenge. I don't have any solo night time as weird as that sounds. I guess I just never thought about it or ever had a need to fly at night. I've had a few lessons at night but none recently so I'm a little worried about it. I believe the whole "black hole" syndrome as Jesse calls it is a lot of what makes me uneasy. Eventually, I'll find a personal cure or just get used to it but I believe I'll have to work up to it much like I did recently for my commercial XC.

Night is my next big challenge. I don't have any solo night time as weird as that sounds. I guess I just never thought about it or ever had a need to fly at night. I've had a few lessons at night but none recently so I'm a little worried about it. I believe the whole "black hole" syndrome as Jesse calls it is a lot of what makes me uneasy. Eventually, I'll find a personal cure or just get used to it but I believe I'll have to work up to it much like I did recently for my commercial XC.

As well it should. My cure was two engines.

Greebo,

I did a few XCs during private and got lost on each one. It built up a fear that I've had for a while. None of them were more than 70 miles from home.
I've flown with a lot of instructors and been to different places to try to overcome it, but nothing seemed to crack it. This past month, because I'm nearing the end of Commercial, I made it a personal mission to do something about it. I flew to a couple local airports about 30-40 miles away and then my instructor and I were scheduled for a dual XC in the RG. He didn't do much for me and said that there was nothing wrong with my XC ability. I think he was actually bored from not saying anything! After that, I was pretty confident I could make it up to Nebraska (a 250+ XC qualifying for commercial requirements). I scheduled the airplane and the flight went fine. Although, I believe I'd like to learn a little more about weather, especially since our airplanes are not equipped with radar of any type.

As well it should. My cure was two engines.
Haha I don't believe thats a cure. I back this up by saying that the aircraft we train in doesn't have two engines that increase performance like a good Baron. More like, the two engines qualify as equaling to one. In my twin ground training, they stressed how little if at all our aircraft will climb on one engine. I'm not sure if its a good relation but I see it much like having a 172 with a dead mag but of course without the drag and rolling motion of a possible critical engine on a twin.

Lance,

Well, the cookies were good and the FBO was nice but I have to give Jesse and Tony credit on their cookies. I think they both deserve POA aprons with "kiss the cook/pilot" written on them, HAHA j/k!

As far as Commercial goes, I have a couple things yet to accomplish. Other than mastering the maneuvers, I have to complete 5 hours solo night time, my Comm written, and memorizing the systems of the RG which is going to be difficult but doable I'm sure.

Greebo,

I did a few XCs during private and got lost on each one. It built up a fear that I've had for a while. None of them were more than 70 miles from home.
I've flown with a lot of instructors and been to different places to try to overcome it, but nothing seemed to crack it. This past month, because I'm nearing the end of Commercial, I made it a personal mission to do something about it. I flew to a couple local airports about 30-40 miles away and then my instructor and I were scheduled for a dual XC in the RG. He didn't do much for me and said that there was nothing wrong with my XC ability. I think he was actually bored from not saying anything! After that, I was pretty confident I could make it up to Nebraska (a 250+ XC qualifying for commercial requirements). I scheduled the airplane and the flight went fine. Although, I believe I'd like to learn a little more about weather, especially since our airplanes are not equipped with radar of any type.
Huh - well my apologies for mistaking you for a student pilot. :) Congrats on the XC! :D

Night is my next big challenge. I don't have any solo night time as weird as that sounds. I guess I just never thought about it or ever had a need to fly at night. I've had a few lessons at night but none recently so I'm a little worried about it.

Go with a CFI for a night refresher in the pattern. Once you're comfortable do some solo work in the pattern. Then pick a full-moon night to build some hours while staying near lit-up cities and roads.

Go with a CFI for a night refresher in the pattern. Once you're comfortable do some solo work in the pattern. Then pick a full-moon night to build some hours while staying near lit-up cities and roads.
I'd add to that by making every XC under IFR since you're rated. Wherever possible, request vectors for an approach or even the full approach. Do it even if it's VMC. Every bit of it keeps skills fresh and following procedures. During en route, don't let a AP or trimmed airplane just be working. Follow your position by triangulating with VORs every ten minutes or so. Better yet, program the GPS for the route but fly it by VOR.

You can reduce the "black hole" effect by reducing cockpit lighting as much as possible. Use as little instrument lighting as necessary. Many fly with too much cockpit lighting and that adds to the effect. Reduced lighting allows your eyes to be better adapted to the dark night and better pick up lights and the horizon. As the flight progresses, so does your need for cockpit lighting as it is reduced to only enough to see instrumentation. It takes at least thirty minutes for the eyes to be fully adapted to dark.

I remember my first "real" solo cross-country...Got lost, no nav radios, only two hours of fuel from full tanks..."I know I'm in Charles City 'cause that's what the sign on the building says...but WHERE is Charles City?" :dunno:

I didn't realize you were in SWO...if you ever see a Hawker with tan and blue trim passing you on final, be sure to wave!:goofy:
Fly safe!

David

Back