Congratulations Tristan

I remember my first "real" solo cross-country...Got lost, no nav radios, only two hours of fuel from full tanks..."I know I'm in Charles City 'cause that's what the sign on the building says...but WHERE is Charles City?" :dunno:

I didn't realize you were in SWO...if you ever see a Hawker with tan and blue trim passing you on final, be sure to wave!:goofy:
Fly safe!

David
Wow, do you fly a Hawker into SWO? .....passing me on final, boy ya know the last time I passed someone was in Florida and the only reason I did was because the other guy was pulling a banner! I remember that too, I called up on the beach frequency and said, " so just out of curiosity, what do you cruise at?" Banner Pilot: "Oh, I'd say about 55 kts." I had a slight grin as I pulled away from his parallel in my Cessna 152.

Haha I don't believe thats a cure. I back this up by saying that the aircraft we train in doesn't have two engines that increase performance like a good Baron. More like, the two engines qualify as equaling to one. In my twin ground training, they stressed how little if at all our aircraft will climb on one engine. I'm not sure if its a good relation but I see it much like having a 172 with a dead mag but of course without the drag and rolling motion of a possible critical engine on a twin.

It's not about climbing out on one, although, most twin trainers will(slowly, very slowly) do it given you don't load out to gross and you pay close attention to what is going on. You may even have to let it turn into the dead engine to reduce the rudder drag, but tho only one zI've ever been in that wouldn't do some was an old worn out 160hp Apache. The issue with a twin as it pertains to the "black hole" effect, is that the one remaining WILL get you to the next runway.

My apologies Tristan for making you a "student" student pilot.....

Last edited:
Wow, do you fly a Hawker into SWO? .....passing me on final, boy ya know the last time I passed someone was in Florida and the only reason I did was because the other guy was pulling a banner! I remember that too, I called up on the beach frequency and said, " so just out of curiosity, what do you cruise at?" Banner Pilot: "Oh, I'd say about 55 kts." I had a slight grin as I pulled away from his parallel in my Cessna 152.
SWO is one of our more "regular" destinations, although I haven't been there for a few months...we had a grand opening at one facility recently and started work on another, so they've been using the airplane for those destinations, but the folks at the Fairfield know me pretty well down there ;)

I did actually pass somebody on final one time there...guy doing a practice approach. I passed him about at the FAF, and was clear of the runway before he initiated his missed approach. The tower guys there are pretty cool B)

Fly safe!

David

Back