Conditions for a commercial checkride

Daz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
I have a checkride this week and the conditions are looking like max crosswind gusts 12kts and ceilings of 2-3k. Wondering what others would do regarding whether to cancel or not. I don’t want to screw up the power off 180.

Daz

I have a checkride this week and the conditions are looking like max crosswind gusts 12kts and ceilings of 2-3k. Wondering what others would do regarding whether to cancel or not. I don’t want to screw up the power off 180.

Daz
If either of those will screw up your power off 180s, you’re not ready.

How much altitude do you need for the air work?

12 kts should be nothing. If you cannot adjust for that then the crosswind isn’t the problem.

I would be concerned about maintaining cloud and ground clearance during maneuvers with a 3000 ft ceiling, especially during the chandelle. How much do you gain?

Those winds are nothing. The ceiling will be the issue for the maneuvers.

I’d also note that 2-3k ceilings would be a no-go for VFR cross country planning and navigation for a lot of pilots at that level. How comfortable are you with those operations?

My advice is to practice in those or stronger winds if possible until you aren’t intimidated by them, and to try to get the ride set for a day with better ceilings so you have more room to play with. MVFR is, for me, the wrong situation for a VFR check ride.

The ceilings could be an issue. Those winds should not be.

FWIW, my CFI ride had a forecast that wasn't much better. In real time it was ok when we went up but degrading. We discussed the possibility of having to stop in the middle and finish another day.

As it turned out, we went through the maneuvers very quickly. The huge weather hole common in the immediate area helped. The point is to be flexible and remember that ADM is part of the test too.

Just don't do it when it's 12G30.

Crosswind not a problem for the 180. In fact, I'd be more worried about gusty conditions than any steady wind. Ans if we're not taking about a checkride that's today or, tomorrow, I wouldn't even think of canceling based on a forecast ceiling. Unless I was looking for an excuse to cancel. If that's the case, just talk to your instructor and give the DPE the slot back rather than waiting until day of.

Winds were strong enough on my instrument check ride that I had a 0 second outbound leg, and 1m45s inbound leg on the hold.
I spent 17 minutes in a hold one time watching the airplane ahead of me fly his approach...and while I did t beat him to the ramp, I did beat him into the FBO.:rolleyes:

Back