concern regarding CFI

To the OP, FWIW I had to change my CFI on the eve of the checkride, because he had to take personal time off to deal with a family emergency. He recommended another experienced instructor to guide me through checkride prep, and I nary lost a step in the process. I may even argue that it was beneficial, because I got a different perspective on everything from preflighting the plane to how to do a diversion.

If you feel you have to make a change, then do it. Don't gut it out for the wrong reason.
This.

I also ditched my first CFII when I was ready for the checkride, but did not yet have a sign-off nor an appointment with a DPE. The reason was that he promised to find a DPE for me (the one he sent all of his students to had had his designation recently yanked for paperwork "irregularities"), and then fell short as my written expired, and had a very unapologetic "that's the way the cookie crumbles" attitude about it. I don't know what area you're in, but my your description of your CFI's surly demeanor matches mine as well, though my guy never did anything as inappropriate as hitting my hand and causing me to momentarily lose control while taxiing onto a runway. But his chewing out other pilots on the CTAF and poor people skills in general, and especially with students, are well known around the airport.

It probably cost me a few weeks, since my first choice for new instructor had to bow out of my finish-up training for personal reasons, and winter was coming on fast. And I have no issue with his skills as an instructor, only with his personality and willingness to treat me with respect for my time and resources. But I still think it was worth it and I have no regrets about firing his butt.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman would like to have a few words with you...

As would my Air Force TI from back in 1977. Things may have changed, but back then this guy made more than a few kids in our flight who grew up in the bible belt pee their pants on the very first night with his language.

They got over it. ;)

Mike

Flying is very personal, there is a reason most airlines have "don't pair these guys" functions in their scheduling systems.

Because every now and then two people just don't make a good crew.

You're the customer! Change to a different CFI!

Ha! Which airline is this? Sign me up!!!

If you can tolerate him finish up and find a CFI that doesn't have a broken personality for future training.

If you aren't close, or absolutely cannot stand it, there are plenty of us out there.

I would say fly with someone else and get an evaluation, a 'pre ride' with another instructor to find out what I might not know.

Why does any person feel the need to inject curse words in normal conversation? I do not put up with it. I will treat you with respect and I demand the same in return.

I did not even put up with it from drill instructors in basic training.

As a former Drill Sergeant, that's a neat trick. I'd be interested to hear more.

Wow, 50,000+ people flying for the airlines, and none are worthy of being a flight instructor......:rolleyes:

I love the absolutes in these threads. I guess I could make a statement such as "yea yeah, there are some great PC12 drivers out there, just the whole scene is quite sad now days, it's hard to find the light in any of those guys".

Would that be appropriate? :rolleyes:

Not to mention that many airline pilots are former military instructors themselves. If the gentleman is this close to obtaining his ticket, why bring all this up? Finish up with the same instructor then ditch him. Simple! Why get all wrapped around the axel when your almost finished?

Why does any person feel the need to inject curse words in normal conversation? I do not put up with it. I will treat you with respect and I demand the same in return.

I did not even put up with it from drill instructors in basic training.

As a former Drill Sergeant, that's a neat trick. I'd be interested to hear more.

Be prepared for another "This is no ****!" story........:rolleyes:

Could it be the drill instructor realized he was politically incorrect and fell to his knees sobbing, begging forgiveness!? How did this nimrod correct the drill instructor? We await his answer.

Bust your checkride on purpose, and blow his 80% success rate. Walk in the FBO with a huge smile and say "Looks like you're taking a FIRC, amigo" as you toss him the keys. Find another CFI to sign you off on the busted portion of the test (make it easy, like slow flight or something) and get your picture taken with him or her instead.

It is probably something along the lines of... "Gee DI, I don't do well with you yelling in my face like that. Could you maybe kinda sorta... you know... back off a little? And my mom said that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. I also need 8 hours of rest every night or I get cranky. Thanks."

Interesting topic and as with all Internet forum threads, filled with some truth, some semi-truthes and some out right falsehoods.
As a long time ago CFII-MEI who sincerely tried to look at each student as a long term investment in someone else's success and their safety, I have to say that as a brand new pilot (330 hours) with a brand new CFI certificate, I "learned" how to fly then. I also "learned" how to fly with crusty old Captains and some really nice respectful Captains during my now 33 year career of airline flying. I have been a Captain now for 29 of those years and I strive to make my cockpit an enjoyable place to work all the while staying safe, which is very easy to do if one has the right mindset.
Instructing is an ability to convey facts in an easily repeatable way and as anyone who has instructed knows, some students require a different approach to get across the same information...that "lightbulb" becoming illuminated. :goofy:
At my airline we are allowed one instructor change during simulator training and can refuse a line instructor once also for I.O.E. (Initial Operating Experience) without question. Due to the way my airline operates its management structure (in 27 years NOT ONE Captain has come off the line to become management - you have to give up your seniority number) so some have been hired straight into management that have less than stellar experience on our airplanes (and some on just about any airplane).
As an addendum - Airline flying is very enjoyable (at least until the Feds and micro-managers get involved) and the paycheck vs. and PC12 pilots makes it fun also.
I have read here that airlines do not pair up the "crusty" types with the "non-crusty" types. Airline flying is totally seniority based. You fly with who bids the same line as you. At most of the carriers I have worked for (including a Southwest type - Muse Air) the F/O's usually bid a day or so later and could see what Captain got the line they wanted and bid with or around them as necessary. The airline has NOTHING to do with who flies together unless it is a FAA mandated age thing.
Can't get along with someone? Bid around them, contact Professional Standards etc.

Some of the less than smart statements about an airline pilot can't teach are just that...way less than smart. The CFI that said that probably tells people that a first class medical downgrades to a second class after six months. :mad2:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back