Complex Time in a "TAA"?

No, but you can replace the complex time with 10 hours in a TAA.

Wait I’m confused...I thought the the G1000 172 IS a TAA? Because a local flight school just sold their Arrow and replaced it with a 172SP G1000...

Wait I’m confused...I thought the the G1000 172 IS a TAA? Because a local flight school just sold their Arrow and replaced it with a 172SP G1000...

Don't be. A TAA is not necessarily complex and a complex airplane can also be a TAA.

The new rules simply allow applicants to substitute their training time in a TAA for the complex training time that was previously required.

Don't be. A TAA is not necessarily complex and a complex airplane can also be a TAA.

The new rules simply allow applicants to substitute their training time in a TAA for the complex training time that was previously required.

Yes so I can do the 10 hours in a G1000 172 because it classifies as a TAA instead of doing the 10 hours in an Arrow for instance. Correct?

§61.1 Technically advanced airplane (TAA) means an airplane equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system.

§61.129 (3) (ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;

No, but you can replace the complex time with 10 hours in a TAA.

I see what your saying now...I think you understood the intent of my words...which was you can replace the 10 hours complex time with 10 hours TAA time for the Commercial rating. Which means that yes I could do 10 hours in a 172SP to meet the commercial requirement.

§61.1 Technically advanced airplane (TAA) means an airplane equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system.

§61.129 (3) (ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;
I believe the FAA defines a TAA as...
...including a primary flight display (PFD), a multifunction flight display (MFD) and an integrated two axis autopilot.

What constitutes "integrated"? Is a KAP-140 considered "integrated" because the G1000 provides GPSS? Or is only a GFC700 considered "integrated"?

This AOPA article goes into detail and is worth a read.

By FAA pronouncement, a TAA is equipped with at least:
a) a moving-map display
b) an IFR-approved GPS navigator
c) an autopilot.

Many new aircraft go far beyond the basic definition, sporting enough electronic displays to qualify as having a “glass cockpit.” Exactly how much glass is needed to deserve that label is still being debated, but ASF’s working definition of a “glass cockpit” includes a Primary Flight Display (PFD) to replace the traditional “six-pack” or “steam gauges” as round-dial mechanical instruments are known, and a multifunction display (MFD). The MFD, as the name implies, can show myriad items including a moving map, terrain, weather, traffic, on-board weather radar, engine instrumentation, checklists, and more. (See Section V, page 28).)

This AOPA article goes into detail and is worth a read.

By FAA pronouncement, a TAA is equipped with at least:
a) a moving-map display
b) an IFR-approved GPS navigator
c) an autopilot.

Many new aircraft go far beyond the basic definition, sporting enough electronic displays to qualify as having a “glass cockpit.” Exactly how much glass is needed to deserve that label is still being debated, but ASF’s working definition of a “glass cockpit” includes a Primary Flight Display (PFD) to replace the traditional “six-pack” or “steam gauges” as round-dial mechanical instruments are known, and a multifunction display (MFD). The MFD, as the name implies, can show myriad items including a moving map, terrain, weather, traffic, on-board weather radar, engine instrumentation, checklists, and more. (See Section V, page 28).)
That AOPA article is from 2005 and is out of date with the current requirements. To meet the requirements for commercial a TAA must meet the requirements of 61.129

(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.

I believe the FAA defines a TAA as...

What constitutes "integrated"? Is a KAP-140 considered "integrated" because the G1000 provides GPSS? Or is only a GFC700 considered "integrated"?

As long as it can be driven by the heading bug and gpss, it’s ok. your KAP140 scenario is correct. “Integration” refers to the connectivity.

Yours truly asked the same question here:
https://bruceair.wordpress.com/2017...ning-rules-due-in-december-2017/#comment-4186

The Garmin comments on the NPRM shed some light on the question.

Does a 430W satisfy requirement 2? I'm not sure if this is TAA or not:

Dynon EFIS
Dynon integrated 2 axis auto pilot
430W
696 on the co-pilot side <- portable so may not count

panel.jpg

By this definition mine is TAA?

Dual G5, 2 axis AP, GPS and MFD.

I will throw in the AOA just to make sure

By this definition mine is TAA?

Dual G5, 2 axis AP, GPS and MFD.

I will throw in the AOA just to make sure

Crazy ain't it? But it shows the signs of the time. The certification requirements have always been modeled with revenue aviation in mind. And it is absolutely clear there is a shift for airline pilots to be computer monitor UI managers and away from handle/stick pullers. Military aviation is moving in that direction. That's why I prefer the fact my work airplane requires the explicit absence of an autopilot. Job security yo. :D

Heck, according to the FAA definition, some of the LSAs I fly are also TAAs.

Interesting.

Back