Complex tail wheel?

What I have been flying lately...

eqa4azyg.jpg

Ooooh.... That's purty! Got any side pics?

I can't say for sure, but I think the majority of them now have either a 180 or 210HP lyc/conti 360 with C/Sprop

The most common engine now is a Conti O-300 at 145hp. There's a lot of 180's and 210's too tho.

The Beech electric prop isn't that rare on the older E-series Bonanza. As well, there is a 'constant speed' mechanism which operates by an RPM matching set of wheels and a few relays to move the motor back and forth. Later models had a solid state affair to run the prop pitch motor.

Many old Bonanza pilots choose to run the controller by hand, as it reduces wear on the pitch change bearings, and the motor. Sometimes the controller has been known to hunt a bit with slight changes in altitude adjustment that may be found in mountain wave situations.

Getting a complex rating in a Beech electric prop equipped aircraft does not limit or restrict one to just electric prop operation, but applies to any other complex aircraft. I checked carefully.

Whether you're talking a Swift, or a Micco, or a T-6, or any of the other complex TW planes listed, you ain't gonna find one for rent at the local FBO, and you are very unlikely to get the private owner of one to let you borrow it. These are really only options if you're willing to buy.

I can think of two places in California that offer flight instruction in T-6s (one in Fullerton and one in Livermore), and I know there are others around the country. Dual only, of course. And I sort of doubt they really want to be giving training in them to people without a fair bit of prior time in tailwheels and in complex aircraft.

But I think the consensus seems to be that if your goals are to get a TW endorsement and to build complex time, combining them is unlikely to be economical or practical.

There are a few dual control P-51s out there, too. Definitely a high perf / complex tail dragger. :D

High perf/ complex and a type rating at around $2000hr. I flew with Lou Shaw in Texas in 1991. Flew in the back seat for 1/2hr then the front for 21/2 hrs. Best $3000 I ever spent. Don

And the P-51 is supposedly easier to fly than the T-6.

It's more docile that the T-6 in stalls and a little more stable on landing. We did a lot of go arounds on very short final. He told me the secret was when the right rudder pedal hit the stop don't add any more power. Go arounds are very safe and manageable if you keep that in mind. I was current in the T-6 when I flew the Mustang and except for managing the systems didn't have any problem flying it. There is nothing like sitting behind a V-12. Don

One of my more memorable flight reviews was an old P-47 pilot who owned a Swift. He would build wooden boats in his hanger. When he was done with one he would sell it, then start another. I would go by his hanger on slow days and admire his woodwork and his Swift. Growing up on the water and always loving old wooden boats I'm not sure which I admired more.
One day he told me he recognized that he was too old to keep flying and was selling his airplane, but he wanted one last flight review and asked me to do it. That was a good day.

3a4eruva.jpg

Www.aviatorflighttraining.com at the Fullerton airport offers tail wheel instruction and t6 instruction.

If you do not have tw time. You can start in his 170B and get your tw endorsement. Then move over to the t6 for the high performance and complex.

Daniel is a great instructor. He currently has a student who comes over from Japan for primary yes primary student flight instruction in a t6 that the student owns based at Redlands airport.

The t6 in Fullerton rents for $650/hr wet including instructor.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back