Communication between shops and customers

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Is there some best practice for communicating between shops and customers? For shops you have worked with, what have they done well or poorly on in keeping you updated?

My shop asked for my thoughts on how to best communicate with clients. I've been frustrated with a lengthy upgrade.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My shop calls me or leaves voicemail if they find something unexpected. They await my response before acting. They usually have a few options of what I could do to address a repair. They don’t question my choice, but I do ask what they think or would do (I want their opinions).

The caveat to the above is that I call them back immediately, or during annual I usually visit the shop daily. I’m not holding up progress or taking up valuable shop square footage arguing or looking at 15 other options to save $25.

I have also, when busy, had them just fix what was needed without further input, like I needed a new tire at annual. I was unhappy because I wanted to replace it myself before annual and didn’t have time, so they threw a new cheapie on there to get me airworthy. My problem, not theirs.

I was unhappy about some paint touch up. I knew when I farmed it out, it wouldn’t be as perfect as I would have done it. My issue, not theirs.

They know me. That’s the biggest thing. You and your A&P need to know each other well for the relationship to work. I’m happy 95% of the time.

Is there some best practice for communicating between shops and customers?
What I have found to work the best from the shop/mechanic side is the use of a simple written service agreement. It should set what the work scope is and the projected benchmarks to its completion. It should also simply define what you expect and what the shop expects which can include how and when project updates, delays, problems, etc. will be communicated. Regardless, I've found when the customer and shop/mechanic start a project/job on the "same page" they, collectively, tend to finish the job on the "same page."

Whenever I drop the plane off an always send an email outlining everything I want done and expectations. After any visit or call I send a follow-up email outlining our conversation and decisions made. I keep these friendly but also ensure they are explicit on what work I’m approving.

My biggest issue is a perception of work not progressing.

Someone I know visited my shop and said they were not working on my plane.

At times it seems like they take 4 days to get three final switches done.
Feb 19 the shop told me they had everything to complete the job. I've visited a number of times and it seems like a few more screws get installed each week.
Following all the wiring getting done has been painful

It seems to me that work is slow.
I suspect the shop thinks everything has been timely.

How to best bridge that gap?

My biggest issue is a perception of work not progressing.
Thats a common issue mainly because I find most owners dont have a comparable reference to judge the work being performed. For example, I had a customer who thought entering into the 2nd day of replacing his exhaust stacks was a bit much. He knew he wasnt being charged for the full day and that I had other work. Regardless, he was admamant it was a "one day job." I gave him the chance to participate and he broke a stud before I could stop him. The job took 3 days but more importantly his perception had changed. Unfortunately, no two jobs are the same and do not share the same perceptions.
Someone I know visited my shop and said they were not working on my plane.
I dont know your shop but was your aircraft the only job they were working on? Was this the 1st time using this shop?
How to best bridge that gap?
As mentioned, go into the job knowing where it will be at specific points. Unfortunately not all shops or mechanics believe in that type relationship and your only out is you either put up with it or go to a different shop which is becoming progressively harder to find in some areas.

The more I read threads like this, the more I realize how fortunate I was to have a really good avionics/radio outfit at KBED. They did at least three different avionics upgrades on my cherokee 140 and I was always happy with the work...I never had a problem with their work, their price, their schedule. Sadly, they are no longer in business. But now I have even better appreciation for their professionalism.

My typical experience has been the communication is great in person. However they might answer the phone or return a call 1/3 attempts and email is 50/50.

Drives me nuts. Bash out an email at the end of the day, doesn’t have to be long just give me updates!

Personally, I prefer that, unless I asked for something specific like an oil change and that's all they're going to do, they give me a call once things are open. Then we'll get to the "while we're in there" recommendations, and I'll approve (or not) things, and then they'll do them.

Anything that's going to be longer than a week, such as paint or an avionics upgrade, especially at a shop that's not at my home drome or at least in town, I want at minimum a weekly progress update, preferably with pictures, and including a list of what was accomplished that week, what is expected for the following week, as well as any challenges that led to them not completing last week's next week list. And preferably, I want to know about those challenges right away.

Sadly, a lot of shops seem to think that all pilots are just open checkbooks with no interest in the workings of their airplanes. Explaining what's going on, how things work, the ramifications of doing or not doing a particular thing, etc are not the default when IMO they should be. There's also very few shops that will bother to look into alternative options. I'm not a fan of Mike Busch, but this is how he makes his money, and he clearly knows his stuff.

Our mechanic spent a few minutes in our CFI meeting today, and he said something profound. He said pilots know how an airplane feels when it flys, and mechanics know how an airplane should fly, but mechanics don't know how an airplane should feel when it flys, and pilots don't always know how to fix how it flys.

So, communication between mechanics and pilots is essential.

I've been 100% in the experimental world for 20+ years, and do 99% of the work on my airplane. Occasionally I do have the local mechanic take care of something he's better equipped to do, but it is usually a one item type job "Perform compression test".

If I had a list of things for him to do, I'd present him with that list and instructions to call me before proceeding if he runs into something unexpected. I'd put all of that in writing - delivered by hand and e-mail. If there is a misunderstanding, I would want my intentions documented.

Thats a common issue mainly because I find most owners dont have a comparable reference to judge the work being performed. For example, I had a customer who thought entering into the 2nd day of replacing his exhaust stacks was a bit much. He knew he wasnt being charged for the full day and that I had other work. Regardless, he was admamant it was a "one day job." I gave him the chance to participate and he broke a stud before I could stop him. The job took 3 days but more importantly his perception had changed. Unfortunately, no two jobs are the same and do not share the same perceptions.

I helped with a Powerflo exhaust check and was surprised how detailed it was.

I dont know your shop but was your aircraft the only job they were working on? Was this the 1st time using this shop?

No, they seem to have 4-5 in the shop at the same time, but 4-5 guys working, plus the multitasking owner

As mentioned, go into the job knowing where it will be at specific points. Unfortunately not all shops or mechanics believe in that type relationship and your only out is you either put up with it or go to a different shop which is becoming progressively harder to find in some areas.

For most jobs, I am fine with not hearing, unless they run into something unexpected. But if the job is going to take longer, for whatever reason a call or email to let me know would be good. With an updated expected time to completion.

No, they seem to have 4-5 in the shop at the same time, but 4-5 guys working, plus the multitasking owner
In my experience, scheduling the workflow between multiple projects is one of the hardest tasks as no two projects are the same nor are they a fluid process in most cases. Each work-scope process tends to ebb and flow at different rates depending on the project. Throw in one unforeseen issue on one aircraft and it can back-up/alter the entire schedule and shop.

I was a one-man operation that worked part-time and never took more than 2 projects at any one time. I was often tempted to add a 3rd when the workflow was idle but had learned my lesson. However, I had that luxury. Most shops do not have that luxury and will start on the next project to fill the shop downtime or cut down the backlog. Then a bolt breaks or the parts don’t show up or someone gets sick and now everything is out of whack even with 5 guys working in the shop.

I don’t know if that is the reason your shop took so long but it is a common problem I’ve dealt with personally and with shops I deal with.

Is it the size of the shop in terms of how many planes run thru there and/or number of mechanics? I’ve had no more than a few days’ delay when they had their rental fleet oil changes and 100 hours during a summer ROTC zero-to-PPL push. Usually it’s been parts availability. Otherwise they want my plane outta there ASAP.

How to bridge your gap you ask? I dunno. Pay them a higher shop rate than other customers do?

We use texts a lot for communication. It allows the shop owner to respond when he can without interrupting his work, and creates a written trail of communication so there aren't misunderstandings. This year we had a longer list than normal of things to do, so we created a shared google doc with the list, and room for notes and check boxes for when things are complete.

Is it the size of the shop in terms of how many planes run thru there and/or number of mechanics?
Sometimes, but there are various other reasons that cause issues. But for comparison, the most efficient shops/mechanics I've dealt with tend to stick to one or two aircraft models or cater to a specific OEM. However, in general, the shops/mechanics that struggle the most, lack general business experience or take on a multitude of aircraft with which they have no or limited experience on but treat them the same as the aircraft they do know.

If the shop supervisor would take about 15 minutes at the end of each day to update the owners of the status of their repair via email it would save a lot of phone time.

Back