Common FAA medical questions and information page

PeterNSteinmetz

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
I am pleased to provide a link to a new set of pages I have put up on my website which attempt to provide basic information regarding the process of obtaining an FAA medical, some of the issues with difficult cases, and answers to commonly asked questions.

http://steinmetz.org/peter/flying/faaMedicalInfo.html

I would be grateful to receive all constructive comments and suggestions for its improvement, as well as additional doctors to be listed at the bottom amongst the nationally recognized experts.

Thanks to all the knowledgeable commenters and posters here on PoA who have provided much information and food for thought in constructing these. I hope these pages are useful.

I take issue with your description of which medical certificate is required. You should couch it in terms of the actual regulations rather than your perception of the paraphrase. A second class is required to use commercial pilot certificate privileges. Flight instructors only need a third when acting as pilot in command.

Further your information is out of date. First class is good for a year if you are under 40. Thirds are good for FIVE years if you are under 40.

The medical application isn't "can be done" but rather "must be done" on MedXpress.

"Suspended" is not a word that applies to basic med (or medical certificates in general). The words are "denied" and "revoked" or "rescinded." I would include the proviso that basic med is not authorized if you have had one of the three categories (mental, cardio, or neuro) conditions (without first seeking a SI).

Remove the term "self-certify". THat's been gone for a couple of decades now at least. Glider pilots are not required to "certify" anymore. You just make an appraisal of your ability to fly (same as basic med or sport pilot).

I'm not going to do a critique but I agree with Ron about the dangers of paraphrasing. Fine to break things down into plain English, but you still need to be accurate and avoid change for change sake. One example jumped out at me.
Have held an FAA medical certificate since July 14, 2006 which was not revoked or suspended.​
"Since" tells me I have to have had a valid FAA medical certificate from 7\14\2006 through today. A completely different message than the pretty clear regulatory language, "at any point after".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back