Commercial

USAF JD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I am thinking of getting my commercial and I am wondering what to expect for flying hours. I have all the eligibility requirements done already. I was think around 15 hours in the plane but I just talked to a local CFI he said around 40 hours!!!

How long since you have practiced the comm maneuvers? I would guess around 25 hours.

I am thinking of getting my commercial and I am wondering what to expect for flying hours. I have all the eligibility requirements done already. I was think around 15 hours in the plane but I just talked to a local CFI he said around 40 hours!!!

Ask the CFI to give you a syllabus / overview of what those 40 hours would be.

I've had students prep for it in less than 10 and some took well over 40. It all depends on how quickly you grasp the required maneuvers.

I did mine in the minimum 10 hours dual complex requirement. With maybe 5 hours ground instruction.

I had about 300 TT at the time and no experience in a complex airplane. I took the checkride in an M20J

If you have the complex time already in your log book, probably 10-12 hours. If you need a complex endorsement too, 15 hours.

Put a large distance between yourself and any CFI who tells you 40 hrs for a ASEL-Comm.

40hrs :rofl:

I'd call that CFI up just to laugh at him, it shouldn't take you 10hrs to get the maneuvers down, someone's taking you for a ride.

I've trained a few folks for CP in their own complex plane in a long weekend, including the two required dual XC's (it would take less time if you've got those covered). If you already meet all the 61.129(a) aeronautical experience requirements, and you're basically familiar with and proficient in the airplane, I'd be thinking 2 days of training, 1 day of practice oral/flight test, and then the practical test on Day 4.

If you have the plane, I'd be happy to travel to your location to train you on such a basis. PM or email for details if you're interested.

Depends on you. I think I took about 20hrs. I started off in a Warrior then transitioned to the Arrow

Thanks for all the input. I had a hunch that 40 hours was out of line. I sold my Grumman and I'm looking at A36's. All of the insurance quotes I have been getting require 25 hours of dual since I have no complex time. I was thinking that if I end up in the A36 I should work on my commercial since I'm paying for the CFI either way. It will also lower my insurance when I'm done.
Jeff Duszynski

Regarding XC requirement, does a daylight 2 hr leg, followed by 2 hr return at night qualify requirements for both?

That seems absurd. I agree you might as well knock out the commercial.

And most of the instrument too.

25 dual is a "robust" requirement. I wonder if you got a 3-4 hr complex checkout/endorsement in a rental before you bought if that required-dual number would come down to around 10 hrs? Sometimes the actuaries numbers in the computers do things in your favor too.

Thanks for all the input. I had a hunch that 40 hours was out of line. I sold my Grumman and I'm looking at A36's. All of the insurance quotes I have been getting require 25 hours of dual since I have no complex time. I was thinking that if I end up in the A36 I should work on my commercial since I'm paying for the CFI either way. It will also lower my insurance when I'm done.

Jeff Duszynski

With AOPA, they required 10 hrs on top of 4.5 i already had to get my complex endorsement, and getting commercial made no difference in insurance rates

I've trained a few folks for CP in their own complex plane in a long weekend, including the two required dual XC's (it would take less time if you've got those covered). If you already meet all the 61.129(a) aeronautical experience requirements, and you're basically familiar with and proficient in the airplane, I'd be thinking 2 days of training, 1 day of practice oral/flight test, and then the practical test on Day 4.

If you have the plane, I'd be happy to travel to your location to train you on such a basis. PM or email for details if you're interested.

:rolleyes:

Good plan. I'm thinking that for someone with zero complex and zero time in type, 25 hours of training should be about right to be ready for the CP practical test in an A36.

Regarding XC requirement, does a daylight 2 hr leg, followed by 2 hr return at night qualify requirements for both?
It does if it's properly logged and signed by the instructor involved. I've taken people that route before -- out in the afternoon, stop for dinner until it's really dark, the RTB.

40hrs :rofl:

I'd call that CFI up just to laugh at him, it shouldn't take you 10hrs to get the maneuvers down, someone's taking you for a ride.

Some people take 100+hrs to get a PP, perhaps his CFI knows him?:dunno:

Jeff Duszynski

Did your insurance promise you that or are you assuming it? I haven't seen that be true in over 20 years. 100hrs in type will get you the base premium.

I just assumed that with more training I would have a lower rate. Wrong....

I just assumed that with more training I would have a lower rate. Wrong....

You would think, but no, that's not the way it worked out. Time in Type is the over riding factor, and 100hrs is the magic number.

Some people take 100+hrs to get a PP, perhaps his CFI knows him?:dunno:

If it took him 100hrs to get his PPL he REALLY shouldn't be flying for hire.

Wasn't the recent the pilot of the Cessna 152 crash in Florida a Commercial pilot? Insurance companies probably have statistics showing them what's important and what's not. BTW, if in a part 141 program, you don't need 50 XC hours, you can go from Instrument directly to commercial

Without knowing why it took 100 hours to get his PPL, how would you reach that conclusion?

There are 3 reasons it takes 100 hrs to get a PPL, incompetence, lack of commitment and effort, and medical problems. If it's medical problems and they are sorted out would be the exception to that conclusion.

Without knowing why it took 100 hours to get his PPL, how would you reach that conclusion?

Just as an FYI...It took 64 hours for my private, I am also instrument rated. 400 hours TT.

A simple questions has turned me into a 100hr plus student pilot that was either incompetent, lazy, or may have had a medical condition.
:rofl:

Just as an FYI...It took 64 hours for my private, I am also instrument rated. 400 hours TT.

A simple questions has turned me into a 100hr plus student pilot that was either incompetent, lazy, or may have had a medical condition.

Welcome to PoA....:rolleyes:

Then you will be getting hosed with 40 hours training for a commercial. If you are competent and current it should take around 10.

To the OP Unless you are planning on using you aviation to try to make money, why would you even want a commercial? BTW, you are instrument rated?

There are 3 reasons it takes 100 hrs to get a PPL, incompetence, lack of commitment and effort, and medical problems. If it's medical problems and they are sorted out would be the exception to that conclusion.

There is another reason. Extended solo flying boring holes in the sky after solo sign off.

There is another reason. Extended solo flying boring holes in the sky after solo sign off.

Still fits under either incompetence (needed the extra practice) or lack of commitment (don't care how long it takes to get the ticket).

To the OP Unless you are planning on using you aviation to try to make money, why would you even want a commercial? BTW, you are instrument rated?

Because it will make you a better pilot. Just like getting your instrument even if you don't plan on flying IMC.

Because it will make you a better pilot. Just like getting your instrument even if you don't plan on flying IMC.

I guess that is a matter of opinion. If you don't plan to fly IMC and you don't fly IMC those skills will quickly erode and have little value.

Back