Commercial Written: W&B question where all three answers are wrong

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
In the most recent update of the Commercial Written prep from SheppardAir, they are warning folks that one of the Weight and Balance questions is being shown with three incorrect answers.

See the thumbnails attached for the question, the answer, and the explanation.

BA1ADEDB-27B4-485F-8670-1A2ECDE87E9E.jpeg D0FB9E97-44E4-4F50-8AB8-9E3D0139EC6C.jpeg

So if you encounter this question, be sure to answer with the correct wrong answer.

In the most recent update of the Commercial Written prep from SheppardAir, they are warning folks that one of the Weight and Balance questions is being shown with three incorrect answers.

See the thumbnails attached for the question, the answer, and the explanation.

View attachment 66072 View attachment 66073

So if you encounter this question, be sure to answer with the correct wrong answer.
Even better would be to get it wrong and then bring up a protest with the FAA so that they can fix it.

Wow, it's not even as if any of the answers are even close! @asicer, if there's a way to bring it to the attention of the FAA, there's likely no need to take the test before one does so.

Wow, it's not even as if any of the answers are even close! @asicer, if there's a way to bring it to the attention of the FAA, there's likely no need to take the test before one does so.
Yes that would be ideal. If only...

Wait, you mean pilot's actually try to calculate the W&B questions? Perhaps it has changed when they redid the written tests a couple years back, but when I did the COM and ATP written, I just studied the answers over and over and over again. I missed 1 question on the COM and scored something like 95% on the ATP. No one actually does the calculations or looks at the charts, at least not back then.

The last written I took (CFI written, about 1.5 months ago), there was a kind of "survey" at the end of the test, where you had an opportunity to point out problematic things about the test with the authors. Do they do this on any of the other writtens?

When I took the commercial written a few months ago I ran across a weight and balance question similar to that one. I chose the closest answer but it was far from correct. Actually got it right but didn't make any sense. I copied the question and answers word for word and showed it to the test proctor and another CFI and both agreed there wasn't a correct answer available. I forgot to write the question number tho so couldn't report it.

Unless there are a bunch of questions with no correct answer and you get all of them on your test, this one question shouldn't be an issue. If one bad question causes your score to drop under 70%, you weren't doing very well anyway.

I copied the question and answers word for word and showed it to the test proctor and another CFI and both agreed there wasn't a correct answer available.
I thought the FAA made smuggling test questions out of the testing area illegal?

I thought the FAA made smuggling test questions out of the testing area illegal?

I asked the test guy if I could do it and he said as long as it never left the test room so we went over it and then he shredded it

Back