Commercial pilot medical certificate

eng4ksa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eng4ksa
hi,

I was studying medical certificate for commercial pilots and It says that I have to have 1st / 2nd class. I'm now having the 3rd class because of the one year pass. Is it ok to have 3rd class even if the requirements say that I should have at least 2nd???
Thanks

For getting a CPL or flying as a CPL but only exercising non commercial privilege, 3rd class is fine.

A 3rd Class is the minimum you need to get a Commercial rating, but you will need a second or first to exercise the privileges.

The above posters are correct in what they wrote. I am curious however what you meant by this:
I'm now having the 3rd class because of the one year pass.

Last edited:
I think he's saying his second class was issued more than a year ago and hence is only useful as a third class.

As pointed out, the requirement to have a second class to take the commercial exam was removed two decades ago.

What I meant by a third class was that I'm now holding a IR and I'm about to get the CPL. I have been trained for a year and 3 months and my medical certificate is now third class instead of first because One year of training has been passed.

What I meant by a third class was that I'm now holding a IR and I'm about to get the CPL. I have been trained for a year and 3 months and my medical certificate is now third class instead of first because One year of training has been passed.
Your medical is still a First class medical. The only thing that changes is your privileges. Your medical doesn't "turn" into anything.

And of course while I hate to be "the guy", I cannot help but point out that as a real applicant for a CPL, you should know the regulations pertaining to CPL or you should at least know where to look them up.
Trust me, if you do not know such very important information, your DPE is unlikely to let you post a question on PoA and wait for a correct answer. :)

I'm working on my CPL and still just have the 3rd class, got a few years left on it, not planning to get my second until need be.

Back