Commercial Pilot Cirriculum

carrollm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal_Matt
Any suggestions on written Commerical test preparation curriculum? I've started on the ASA Test Prep book, but it is primarily questions with little narrative. Seems like a companion narrative product would help, or is that simply the Far/AIM?

THE COMPLETE ADVANCED PILOT (also published by ASA) covers both instrument and commercial. FYI, all of the test prep books from the various publishers concentrate on the knowledge exam...that's why test prep books exist.

Preparing a private pilot for the commercial certificate does not involve a lot of new fields to explore...the plane flies the same way, the same performance charts are used, the same navigation systems are involved...the important learning takes place in the airplane, learning the "commercial maneuvers."

Bob Gardner

I used King schools..it's basically the same material as your private pilot with some "for hire" scenarios and a couple extra maneuvers...

Sheppard air. I used it and got a 90 or a 95. They have a good system and it shows you every question that is possible on the test. Use their system exactly as they tell you toand it is definitely the most efficient use of your time.

It will not make you a better pilot, or understand the concepts better, but it will help you get a really good grade on the test as fast as possible.

Did I mention it is the cheapest solution by far?

Sheppard air. I used it and got a 90 or a 95. They have a good system and it shows you every question that is possible on the test. Use their system exactly as they tell you toand it is definitely the most efficient use of your time.

It will not make you a better pilot, or understand the concepts better, but it will help you get a really good grade on the test as fast as possible.

Did I mention it is the cheapest solution by far?

...but he made it clear in the original post that he was looking for more than test preparation.

Bob

It's a glorified private ride, just with the addition of the extra things you can do as a CPL

...but he made it clear in the original post that he was looking for more than test preparation.

Bob
I didn't catch that. I thought he was looking for written test prep.
Any suggestions on written Commerical test preparation curriculum?
But wanted more in the way of explanation of the answers so he could actually learn something. And yes, your The Complete Advanced Pilot would be a good reference for that.

Bob

And Bob to add in the chorus here. My copy of "The Complete Advanced Pilot" has got a lot of use as a reference and good reading to explain some concept. Great book! :)

Thanks All, I was just referring to the written. I have the ASA book and as I am going through it, I am finding some of the concepts are not or only vaguely familiar, so looking for some text other that just a collection of the test questions with brief background info, more than what is in ASA Test Prep book.

Thanks All, I was just referring to the written. I have the ASA book and as I am going through it, I am finding some of the concepts are not or only vaguely familiar, so looking for some text other that just a collection of the test questions with brief background info, more than what is in ASA Test Prep book.
A comprehensive text like Bob's (and others) is one option. Freely downloadable FAA texts like the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge is another for looking up information not well-explained in the knowledge test cram book. Which is best fir you, only you can tell.

Regarding the written, I think I used a Sporty's app for my commercial.

However more recently I have been using dauntless software (PC based) and been very happy with it.

Any suggestions on written Commerical test preparation curriculum? I've started on the ASA Test Prep book, but it is primarily questions with little narrative. Seems like a companion narrative product would help, or is that simply the Far/AIM?
In addition to the exam prep books, the FAA has a number of books on the website. The Commercial PTS/ACS/whatever it's called today, may answer many of your questions. It goes thru the entire checkride checklist with performance requirements. Other than the more stringent limits, you need to know the aircraft systems, e.g. how does the retract system work, sketch out the pitot/static & vacuum systems, etc.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/

Commercial knowledge test is an annoying test full of pretty useless stuff. Commercial practical test is actually pretty cool. The only tricky one is the power off 180. Other maneuvers are just fun. I really enjoyed it.

It's a glorified private ride, just with the addition of the extra things you can do as a CPL
I truly believe this depends on the quality of examiner.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... some examiners consider a climbing 180° turn with stall horn on to be an appropriate chandelle.
We all know (or should know) that's far from the truth. Same concept could be said for any other CPL maneuver.

I truly believe this depends on the quality of examiner.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... some examiners consider a climbing 180° turn with stall horn on to be an appropriate chandelle.
We all know (or should know) that's far from the truth. Same concept could be said for any other CPL maneuver.

Think those maneuvers were just added because they had to add something "new" from the PPL, most all CPL rides are like 80% logbook audit, 20% check ride anyways.

As I recall on my initial CPL, probably the same, if not more time was spent going through my log as the rest of the oral.

Just finished my commercial ride Thursday

I used Sheppard for the written spent about 3 days on that then took the test.

The oral and ride are very close to a private ride. Just a little more in depth and a few new maneuvers.

Think those maneuvers were just added because they had to add something "new" from the PPL, most all CPL rides are like 80% logbook audit, 20% check ride anyways.

As I recall on my initial CPL, probably the same, if not more time was spent going through my log as the rest of the oral.
That's my point exactly. The DPE's are not taking the Commercial maneuvers seriously, so why should the applicant???

I'm betting if the Feds tested most CP applicants to stringent standards, most would not pass. That probably holds true for me as well (1986).

ETA: .... I DID at least understnd the theory of them all, and had an intense knowledge of everything in the oral. Including drawing every system of the airplane.

That's my point exactly. The DPE's are not taking the Commercial maneuvers seriously, so why should the applicant???

I'm betting if the Feds tested most CP applicants to stringent standards, most would not pass. That probably holds true for me as well (1986).

I'm curious what you mean by this. How are the DPEs not taking the maneuvers seriously? To me an applicant either can fly the maneuvers to PTS standards or not, and assuming the DPE is actually giving a good checkride they'll unsat the applicants that aren't up to par.

Or are you implying that the current PTS standards are too loose for commercial applicants?

Back