Commercial Checkride Oral

DBoss11

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DBoss11
Hi all,

I'm taking my commercial checkride next week in a Cherokee. I feel pretty good for the oral, but I'm wondering if you all have any tough/stumper questions I can get prepared for? Thanks

What can you do with a commercial pilot certificate.??

What can you not do with a commercial pilot Certificate.??

That’s funny. I was just about to respond with the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s funny. I was just about to respond with the same thing.

No surprise there.

In terms of regulation-based questions, this is the single most important part with the most important concept to understand being, the privileges and limitations of a commercial pilot certificate vs a commercial operator certificate. Truly understand the difference, and you are way ahead of the game.

With the FAA treating illegal charter as an enforcement priority, I wouldn't be surprise to hear DPE have been told to double-down on this.

I can act as PIC of an airplane for hire/compensation. On this same note, and for the second part of the question, I can work for a commercial operator or exempt operations per 119.1, but I cannot engage in common carriage/hold out, or act as a commercial operator without an applicable operating certificate.

What do the regulations require for inop equipment.

Under what circumstances is a 100 hour inspection required and what circumstances may you exceed the 100 hours.

What do the regulations require for inop equipment.

Under what circumstances is a 100 hour inspection required and what circumstances may you exceed the 100 hours.

Inop equipment should be placarded and disabled per 91.213 (assuming its not required per 91.205/TCDS/STC/POH/KOEL/MEL.

And 100 hour inspections are required if the aircraft is used for hire. You may only exceed the 100hr by 10h to fly it to a mechanic to perform the inspection

Ok…
§61.133 Commercial pilot privileges and limitations.
(a) Privileges—(1) General. A person who holds a commercial pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft—

(i) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire, provided the person is qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter that apply to the operation; and

(ii) For compensation or hire, provided the person is qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter that apply to the operation.
What makes one “qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter…,” and what are the applicable parts of this chapter?

Ok…

What makes one “qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter…,” and what are the applicable parts of this chapter?

You have all applicable endorsements (or type rating if applicable) for the aircraft you are acting as PIC of (complex/HP/high altitude/TW), meet currency and flight review requirements, hold atleast a second class medical.

You have all applicable endorsements (or type rating if applicable) for the aircraft you are acting as PIC of (complex/HP/high altitude/TW), meet currency and flight review requirements, hold atleast a second class medical.
Ok…so that’s “this part”…what about “the applicable parts of this chapter”?

Can you go home from your commercial checkride and fly under Part 135 the next day? How do you know which part a flight falls under?
If I got hired by a 135 operator immediately after my checkride, yes. As for the second part, if it’s private carriage or one of the exempt operations per 119.1, then it falls under part 91, otherwise it would generally fall under 135

your piper lance can't fly more than 0kts ground speed because of a little wittle head wind of 80kts and/or it has some kind of "fuel issue" that definitely wasn't running out of gas, causing you to have to land your entire family like 20 miles from home. you tell someone pwetty pwease can you give me a ride to pick up my plane after maintenance puts fuel in it fixes it, I'll give you $50 or 15 bushels of corn, because I have lots and lots of bushels of corn. is this legal?

If I got hired by a 135 operator immediately after my checkride, yes.
no, actually…it would take training time time and another checkride.
As for the second part, if it’s private carriage or one of the exempt operations per 119.1, then it falls under part 91, otherwise it would generally fall under 135
Can you define “private carriage”?
What are characteristics of a flight that determine that it falls under 135?

As for the second part, if it’s private carriage or one of the exempt operations per 119.1, then it falls under part 91, otherwise it would generally fall under 135
Then, explain this (and yes, it's a real thing - I hate AC 120-12A):
upload_2021-9-1_13-49-57.png

Last edited:
Or 125, or 129, or 137, or… ;)
Exactly. The real point is that there may be other rules within the FAR which regulate compensation for paid pilots. I doubt you need to memorized all of them but to think of 135 and 121 as the most common examples of something which may be covered by other regulations - something I need to consider any time I am going to fly for compensation.

Exactly. The real point is that there may be other rules within the FAR which regulate compensation for paid pilots. I doubt you need to memorized all of them but to think of 135 and 121 as the most common examples of something which may be covered by other regulations - something I need to consider any time I am going to fly for compensation.
…and understand that even the stuff listed in 119.1 as NOT falling under 119 may still require additional certifications and/or operating authorizations.

Review 14 CFR 119.1, 121.1, & 135.1. Those are the sections on Applicability for each of those Parts.

Another topic, can you describe the Vg diagram and explain what it is showing and how it relates to maneuvering, turbulence penetration, and the establishment of V-speeds.

People make this too complicated.

14 CFR 1.1 Commercial operator means a person who, for compensation or hire, engages in the carriage by aircraft in air commerce of persons or property...

Nothing about common carriage.

your piper lance can't fly more than 0kts ground speed because of a little wittle head wind of 80kts and/or it has some kind of "fuel issue" that definitely wasn't running out of gas, causing you to have to land your entire family like 20 miles from home. you tell someone pwetty pwease can you give me a ride to pick up my plane after maintenance puts fuel in it fixes it, I'll give you $50 or 15 bushels of corn, because I have lots and lots of bushels of corn. is this legal?
This hits a little too close to home.

FYI 15 bushels of corn is ~$80 today in central IL.

That list is getting long.

I'd bring it but I just have a little itty bitty mooney which barely has enough room for me and a checklist. wait, what other farm products are we lacking at RR?

I'd bring it but I just have a little itty bitty mooney which barely has enough room for me and a checklist. wait, what other farm products are we lacking at RR?
All I can offer is soybeans.

And cats. I got plenty of those.

Who's grilling next year?

Ok. One sentence talks about cats. The very next sentence talks about grilling...

Is it just me or...?

What if the cat is name Maule?
I’ve skinned my share of Deere, and of course my Maule, but the only Cat I’ve ever tried to skin was actually a Massey. ;)

edit…and we managed to set the Massey on fire.:eek:

I did mine about 3 months ago, pretty straight forward

Regulation senarios, general knowledge, charts, medical, etc..

Caught me on clearance delivery, I didn’t notice it listed on one of my departure airports on the planned ride,
The planned ride was a very long XC, Weather, airspace. Etc... not much difference than a ppl oral.

The only thing for 135 was the limitations for single engine, Vfr, day and weather mins

If you know the material, you will do well

Back