Commercial Cert - What jobs can you get for low time pilots?

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Just earned my commercial and wondering what paying jobs a low time pilot could get right away? (aka without having to build hours). Outside of being a CFI, and in the Chicago area.

I would like to eventually fly right seat for a part 135 jet, gulfstream or falcon.

About the only job I personally have seen low time people get were banner or sailplane towing. I know nothing of the Chicago area in particular so I'm no help there.

Just earned my commercial and wondering what paying jobs a low time pilot could get right away? (aka without having to build hours). Outside of being a CFI, and in the Chicago area.

I would like to eventually fly right seat for a part 135 jet, gulfstream or falcon.
Would you not want to eventually fly LEFT seat in the aforementioned airplanes…???

There aren't a plethora of jobs out there, but you might see if there's a local aerial photographer than needs backup commercial pilots. I keep a list of people to call when my primary guy isn't available.

Ferrying. Pipeline. Banner/Glider tow. Cropdusting. Skydivers. Scenic/sightseeing. Fly a guy around in his airplane.

Right seat of a plethora of business airplanes.

Part 91 commercial flying is a pretty big field. Pretty much EVERYTHING but instructing, and parts 135/121. And just between me and you, a lot of them are FUN!

About the only job I personally have seen low time people get were banner or sailplane towing. I know nothing of the Chicago area in particular so I'm no help there.

Surprisingly, gliders can be towed for compensation with a Private certificate only. Somewhere along the way the FAA deemed that the tow plane wasn't carrying "passengers" or "cargo".

Insurance often dictates a lot of what you can do with low total time, particularly in tailwheel aircraft.

Commercial cert - What jobs can you get for low time pilots?

After I got all my certificates I was installing septic systems.

And instructing part time at a flying club.

Ferrying. Pipeline. Banner/Glider tow. Cropdusting. Skydivers. Scenic/sightseeing. Fly a guy around in his airplane.

Right seat of a plethora of business airplanes.

Part 91 commercial flying is a pretty big field. Pretty much EVERYTHING but instructing, and parts 135/121. And just between me and you, a lot of them are FUN!

I don't know of any Ag jobs accepting low time. I needed 500 hours tailwheel alone when I started and that was a pretty low standard at the time.

The low time guys I know are carrying jumpers.
I was asked to fly jumpers in a C206 a few miles away from my house but when I inquired about insurance, well, it was either too expensive or not available, so I was the one that bailed out.

Surprisingly, gliders can be towed for compensation with a Private certificate only. Somewhere along the way the FAA deemed that the tow plane wasn't carrying "passengers" or "cargo".

Insurance often dictates a lot of what you can do with low total time, particularly in tailwheel aircraft.

Even if the towed aircraft was carrying no one, it wouldn't matter because compensation to fly is compensation to fly, regardless of whether you're carrying persons or property or towing something or not. Like the other items in the list of that section, 61.113(g) is a specific exception to the no compensation rule for private pilots. I presume back in the day the glider folks were able to lobby the FAA/CAA to allow it by regulation.

Even if the towed aircraft was carrying no one, it wouldn't matter because compensation to fly is compensation to fly, regardless of whether you're carrying persons or property or towing something or not. Like the other items in the list of that section, 61.113(g) is a specific exception to the no compensation rule for private pilots. I presume back in the day the glider folks were able to lobby the FAA/CAA to allow it by regulation.
As I recall, 61.69 “Always” listed Private Pilot or higher as a qualification to tow gliders.

Then, under its Infinite Law of Unintended Consequences, the FAA came out and said flight time was considered “compensation,” and so all of us who were towing our fellow glider club members as Private Pilots suddenly were in violation. So 61.113 was modified to reduce the unintended consequences.

Back