Commercial Aviation Insurance rate for rental business

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
I am about to jump into airplane rental business. I am looking for commercial aviation insurance. I was told it was "expensive". Anybody have know what the ball park/typical rate would be for single engine pistons would be such as 182/Arrow types? Google only shows businesses wanting you to enter your address, tail number, phone number and bank account number before they'll tell you anything useful. Thanx.

10 years ago we were quoted 5k for a 150 being used for instruction.

Our 172 is on an Avemco club >4 pilots policy with limits that effectively prevents primary instruction. For a hull value of $95K, it runs about $4500/yr.

depends on whether instruction is involved or not, hull value and type of plane. Its generally around 2.5 to 3x depending if not for instruction and 4-5x to cover flight instruction. But the not for instruction really depends on what and whom is "renting" the plane. The more experienced and with TiT, the lower that rate could potentially be. You really should call an insurance broker. Not sure why you wouldnt open that line of discussion if you are seriously going in to that business.

You really should call an insurance broker. Not sure why you wouldnt open that line of discussion if you are seriously going in to that business.
not in position make final decisions. Am in the research phase and not have all the details and requirements.

Not in the business now but my two airplanes on the same policy were 4X the non rental/club rate. It’s been five years and can assume it’s gone up some.

I enjoyed a Lost City last night. A fine stick that validated your excellent choice in profile picture.

Good luck on the insurance. My intel is out of date.

I had my Grumman AA5 under commercial rental insurance for rental and instruction. $35K hull value was $4700 per year. This was in 2022.

I only did it for one year because I could never recoup the $$.

not in position make final decisions. Am in the research phase and not have all the details and requirements.

That doesn't matter, I called up a few about 5 years ago when I was investigating doing 1-man 1-plane flight instruction. Told the 2-3 I talked to I was just researching, the plane I had in mind, my experience, etc. They were all great to work with and gave me reasonable estimates.

That doesn't matter, I called up a few about 5 years ago when I was investigating doing 1-man 1-plane flight instruction. Told the 2-3 I talked to I was just researching, the plane I had in mind, my experience, etc. They were all great to work with and gave me reasonable estimates.
How about the number of planes and the number of pilots???

Estimate high so you have worst case numbers to work with.

I am getting a plane to do some dual only instruction (upset/unusual attitude mainly).

The quote for using it for dual only is slightly over double the quote for just me flying it.

Back