Commercial ASEL flight requirements

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
Let me first say- I know the regs as they are explained in the FAR's, my questions are on interpreting those regs.

For the 300NM XC requirement - I did a flight from JGG - FCI - OGB - JGG a few months ago. The first leg is only 40NM but the second leg is well over 250NM, making the entire trip well over 300NM. Does this not count because the first leg is technically not a XC leg?

If not, can I combine the night XC requirement with the 300NM trip requirement and do a LONG night XC?

For the night requirements - Do takeoffs and landings at a controlled airport from my private training count towards the commercial requirement? Also, does my 3 hours of night private training count towards the 5 required for the commercial?

Thanks.

Last edited:
There was a thread about 2 weeks ago in the 'pilot training' section. Titled commercial rating deciphered.
It might have the answer your looking for. I'd link to it but can't from my phone.

I think you could count the first leg as a 'repositioning flight' and then the rest of it could count. Someone else more knowledgeable will be along to help if that other thread doesn't answer your question.

Edit
Try this link http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87320

Commercial Requirement Decyphering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Let me first say- I know the regs as they are explained in the FAR's, my questions are on interpreting those regs.

For the 300NM XC requirement - I did a flight from JGG - FCI - OGB - JGG a few months ago. The first leg is only 40NM but the second leg is well over 250NM, making the entire trip well over 300NM. Does this not count because the first leg is technically not a XC leg?

If not, can I combine the night XC requirement with the 300NM trip requirement and do a LONG night XC?

For the night requirements - Do takeoffs and landings at a controlled airport from my private training count towards the commercial requirement? Also, does my 3 hours of night private training count towards the 5 required for the commercial?

Thanks.

JGG FCI OGB counts for 300nm (327) and OGB is more than 250nm from JGG, so it counts.

2nr night XC is a dual recieved training requirement. The 300nm XC is a solo requirement (last I checked) cannot count for both.

Training for your PVT does not count for the night landings for Commercial.

You can land every 10 miles if you wanted...as long as you land at a point that is 250nm from the original point of departure and the total flight is at least 300nm (which it would be >300 unless you plan to drop the plane off somewhere and not fly it back).

The night XC is a dual flight. The 300nm XC is solo.

That night hour and landing requirement is a solo requirement, so the answer is they don't count unless they were solo, which is highly unlikely as not many CFIs let student pilots solo at night.

It counts, it is up to you to decide when a trip starts. And that sounds reasonable. It is completely normal to do it the other way as well (fly 260 miles and land at two airports and come back... )

Assuming of course, that you were actually Solo or got the special CFI sign off thing as acting as PIC...

Thank you for clarifying.

Follow up question- I am assuming my hours accrued training for the IR count as my 10 instrument training hours that are required for the commercial(as long as they are logged correctly). But do all of the 10 complex hours have to be on commercial maneuvers? Or can I do my dual night requirements as part of those 10 hours (XC and landings).

But do all of the 10 complex hours have to be on commercial maneuvers? Or can I do my dual night requirements as part of those 10 hours (XC and landings).

Any flight, especially in an RG aircraft, involves commercial maneuvers, doesn't it?

After all, "takeoffs and landings" are a commercial maneuver in the PTS. So is "navigation". Heck, "preflight" is in there.

So the answer is yes, the hours count.

You can land every 10 miles if you wanted...as long as you land at a point that is 250nm from the original point of departure and the total flight is at least 300nm (which it would be >300 unless you plan to drop the plane off somewhere and not fly it back).

The night XC is a dual flight. The 300nm XC is solo.

That night hour and landing requirement is a solo requirement, so the answer is they don't count unless they were solo, which is highly unlikely as not many CFIs let student pilots solo at night.

The last two don't necessarily have to be the case anymore. 61.129(4) now allows those flights solo or with an authorized instructor on board.

Thank you for clarifying.

Follow up question- I am assuming my hours accrued training for the IR count as my 10 instrument training hours that are required for the commercial(as long as they are logged correctly). But do all of the 10 complex hours have to be on commercial maneuvers? Or can I do my dual night requirements as part of those 10 hours (XC and landings).

IR hours count - Yes

complex hours have to be on commercial maneuvers - no, just have to be on:(i) Preflight preparation;
(ii) Preflight procedures;
(iii) Airport and seaplane base operations;
(iv) Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds;
(v) Performance maneuvers;
(vi) Ground reference maneuvers;
(vii) Navigation;
(viii) Slow flight and stalls;
(ix) Emergency operations;
(x) High-altitude operations; and
(xi) Postflight procedures.

Which to me that falls under T/O/Landings, Navigation, and airport ops

The last two don't necessarily have to be the case anymore. 61.129(4) now allows those flights solo or with an authorized instructor on board.

It is a special exemption, which some people call "simulated solo." Practically speaking it doesn't change anything that was done in the past--the new reg does not mean OP can go back in time and count flights that didn't use to count.

Yea I did my long x country solo. Why would I want to pay for my CFI's time when I can do it all on my own. However it was a very boring flight.

Yea I did my long x country solo. Why would I want to pay for my CFI's time when I can do it all on my own. However it was a very boring flight.

I can't understand why so many people do the long XC just to get it done instead of using that time to actually go do something and make the plane useful. There's nothing in the regs saying the flights all have to even be the same day. I fulfilled the requirement by flying from San Diego to San Francisco and visiting with friends for the weekend. Just because you're logging it to meet requirements doesn't mean you can't make it fun too.

I can't understand why so many people do the long XC just to get it done instead of using that time to actually go do something and make the plane useful. There's nothing in the regs saying the flights all have to even be the same day. I fulfilled the requirement by flying from San Diego to San Francisco and visiting with friends for the weekend. Just because you're logging it to meet requirements doesn't mean you can't make it fun too.

If you have your own airplane, fine. If you are a renter, the FBO may require a two-hours-per-day minimum or something similar.

Bob Gardner

If you have your own airplane, fine. If you are a renter, the FBO may require a two-hours-per-day minimum or something similar.

Bob Gardner
This. Plus I didn't really have a few days to spare because I was still in school

Back