Comm Single or Comm Multi first?

red4golf

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Red4Golf
I currently meet all of the requirements for my csel check ride except the 3 hours in the previous 90 days for check ride prep. I haven't flown a complex airplane since about December and I haven't practiced the maneuvers since November.

I don't currently have access to a complex airplane so I would need to rent from a FBO that I have never rented from.

Ok, now to my question.....

My plan was to get the CMEL add on immediately after completing my CSEL. Would I be making a mistake in going right to the CMEL and maybe doing the single as an add on later?

I figure that I was going to be spending a grand or maybe 2 getting back in the the swing of things anyway so why not.

Thoughts?

Oh, I forgot. I am looking at the local 135 operations out here and most have a need for twin pilots so that influences my thought process.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Getting the single engine commercial first is usually more economical because then you only need to add a multiengine class rating, and can skip the time requirements according to 61.63. Doing your commercial multi first means you must meet the requirements of 61.129(b)–meaning the long cross-country, night requirements, and so on all would have to be multiengine.

If meeting the training time requirements is not a problem, I don't think it makes a difference, it's not like one builds on the other especially since you already have a HP and complex endorsement.

If you have the required AMEL experience doing the multi commercial first eliminates the need for a complex airplane for the ASEL commercial ride. In your case that might cost less if you "have access" to an inexpensive fixed gear single. I did the multi first and then did the single in my tandem seat 65HP taildragger with no electrical system. The systems part of the ASEL oral was pretty short.

The single commercial and the multi add-on is the most cost effective.

Doing the reverse (multi commercial, single add-on) has the advantages of building more multi time and you don't need a complex single for the add-on. If get the multi-commercial first, you can do the single add-on in what ever singles your local flight school rents.

I did the single commercial first.

If you already have the CSEL requirements, why would you start over with the CMEL requirements? XC's, dual, etc..

If you already have the CSEL requirements, why would you start over with the CMEL requirements? XC's, dual, etc..

I was thinking about the time and cost of brushing up on the comm maneuvers being better spent with some extra multi time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did the single first,then the multi add on. Did the multi in a three day crass course.

We just had a thread about this within the last few weeks. There are advantages to both. The biggest advantage of doing the Comm MEL first is that you end up with a little more ME time if that matters to you and (as long as you are comfortable in the twin) it is an easier checkride than the ASEL. But, if you don't already have a PP MEL, then I don't think it is worth it to do the Comm MEL first.

I was thinking about the time and cost of brushing up on the comm maneuvers being better spent with some extra multi time.

You are still going to have to spend the same amount of time working on those maneuvers. From that standpoint, there is no advantage of doing the twin first. You are just delaying the inevitable.

I did my multi-commercial first then my single add on later. I guess it depends what your goal is. If you are planning to go airlines you'd need an ATP, commercial-multi first would end you with more multi-time forward the 50 in category/class for the ATP. If you are trying to make the cost less expensive then commercial single would probably be a better way. I did my commercial multi first and my single add on after, If i went back to do it all over again, I'd do it the exact same way.

Yeah, but what value does that extra multi time droning along on a XC mean to you? Serious question, if you are going to an airline there may be value there, if not it is an expensive XC to just fill a requirement.

Yeah, but what value does that extra multi time droning along on a XC mean to you? Serious question, if you are going to an airline there may be value there, if not it is an expensive XC to just fill a requirement.

While the airlines are an option I was thinking of the 135 ops in the area that are almost all twin engine operations. Also, more time should equal better insurance rates because what family of 4 actually fits in a 4 seater for long?

Got my Comm MEL first. In fact, if it wasn't for CFI I never would have got the SE add on.

While the airlines are an option I was thinking of the 135 ops in the area that are almost all twin engine operations. Also, more time should equal better insurance rates because what family of 4 actually fits in a 4 seater for long?

In that case sounds like you'll need the twin time either way...

If he's not already ME rated, isn't he going to have to spend 10 hours or so in one anyway just to get the initial ME training (not even factoring commercial in)?

Why not combine that initial ME training with the Commercial requirements and end up with your CPL/ME-I at the end?

If he's not already ME rated, isn't he going to have to spend 10 hours or so in one anyway just to get the initial ME training (not even factoring commercial in)?

Why not combine that initial ME training with the Commercial requirements and end up with your CPL/ME-I at the end?
The only downside would be the cost.

The only downside would be the cost.

That's my point.

You are going to spend that money anyway to get initial ME training. It's not like someone with a CPL-SE is going to jump into a ME for the first time and add it on in two hours.

If you are going to do 10 hours in a ME anyway to get the initial training for the rating, why not combine that with some CPL requirements and kill two birds.

If you are going to do 10 hours in a ME anyway to get the initial training for the rating, why not combine that with some CPL requirements and kill two birds.

How is that killing two birds? He said he already has all the hour requirements for the single-engine completed.

Why not just do your C-AMEL in a CE510 or CE525 and get a type rating too ? Kill lots of birds with a single stone.

Why not just do your C-AMEL in a CE510 or CE525 and get a type rating too ? Kill lots of birds with a single stone.

Funny..... I'd do it if you paid for it, until then it is on the cheap for me.

Back