Combine landing/taxi switches?

CA182R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CA182R
My C182 has both a LED taxi light and a LED landing light on the nose. The airplane has upgraded wingtips with HID lights as well. I'm thinking about using the taxi light switch for the two lights on the nose, and using the landing light for the wingtips lights. Bad idea?

I don't know if that would contravene any rules, or blind anyone while taxiing with the "taxi" light(s) on (I doubt it), or cause any visibility issues for myself.

I doubt it would cause issues. From my understanding, landing lights are usually pointed downward and closer to the plane than taxi lights.
This is because the nose on descent is usually a couple degrees above the horizontal plane.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Add a MaxPulse. Choose None, either, or both, and several flashing options.

New panel getting cut. My old panel had three switches for the lights: Taxi, Landing, Wingtips. Just an opportunity to streamline a little bit. Also, I think the original Taxi and Landing lights together make a good taxi light.

On our 182Q, the aim and beam width of the taxi and and landing lights (both are LEDs) is different.

Consider how the light cast from the landing light impacts other airplanes on the ground at night before putting it on the same switch as the taxi light.

Just an opportunity to streamline a little bit.
Does your 182 have the landing/taxi light switches that are mechanically interconnected? Regardless, at a minimum it would need a alteration record to be legit. Given you're "removing" a switch it may cross the line as a major alteration per Part 43. But that would be for your mechanic to determine. However, anytime you try to "streamline" a TC'd aircraft you usually cause future issues especially when trying to sell it. FWIW: maybe cut the panel for the 3rd switch in case you need to put things back to original but still pursue your alteration?

May not be worth it after all, thank you.

Back