Comanche 250 “Ruby”

CaptGully

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptGully
Hello everyone!

Last weekend I took ownership of a 1964 Comanche 250 many of you may know as “Ruby”. She’s been seen at many air shows over the past couple years and featured in a few magazines most recently Pipers June 2023 edition. I’m looking for some cool places to go visit, maybe meet some cool people, do some formation flights, etc! Feel free to direct message me!

Attachments

• IMG_4073.png
    IMG_4073.png
    988.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4074.jpeg
    IMG_4074.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4075.jpeg
    IMG_4075.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4039.jpeg
    IMG_4039.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 93
Hello everyone!

Last weekend I took ownership of a 1964 Comanche 250 many of you may know as “Ruby”. She’s been seen at many air shows over the past couple years and featured in a few magazines most recently Pipers June 2023 edition. I’m looking for some cool places to go visit, maybe meet some cool people, do some formation flights, etc! Feel free to direct message me!
Congrats on buying a beautiful plane!!
Welcome to POA!

New to me part owner of a 1959 250, loving it so far. You should be in easy range of St Simons Is for a fly out lunch and day tripping to Hilton Head, Savannah, etc. Bahamas is also close. NOLA is now just an hour away for us and looking forward to scuba trips to the keys later this winter.

Hello everyone!

Hi, I have a Comanche 250. My previous was a PA32. I have participated for 20 years to the International Air Rally, enjoying adventures from the Canadian Artic to South America. In August going to the Great Canadian North to see the Northern Lignts, visit Ice Pilots and of course the Polar Bears!
In March I will be going back to the Caribbean.

I am a member of SavyAviation. They recommended me to a mechanic for the inspection.

Pre-buys are necessary, but are a challenge, particularly when you are talking about vintage, complex aircraft. Savvy doesn't necessarily do a very good job with those either. Currently, they don't appear to have anyone that speaks very good Comanche, based on some of the logbook reviews from them I have seen. At least they add some structure as the vast majority of mechanics are not equipped to do a pre-buy inspection on any aircraft. Too often, they do not have any experience with buying and ownership. This leaves them without a basis to guide the new owner. Too often they don't have the depth of experience to spot disturbing trends. Pre-buy consulting is really a skill set all on its own. When looking at a vintage, complex aircraft, it is key to find the type community of the plane one is interested in, and find out who the actual experts are and contact one of them for a pre-buy.

Pre-buys are necessary, but are a challenge, particularly when you are talking about vintage, complex aircraft. Savvy doesn't necessarily do a very good job with those either. Currently, they don't appear to have anyone that speaks very good Comanche, based on some of the logbook reviews from them I have seen. At least they add some structure as the vast majority of mechanics are not equipped to do a pre-buy inspection on any aircraft. Too often, they do not have any experience with buying and ownership. This leaves them without a basis to guide the new owner. Too often they don't have the depth of experience to spot disturbing trends. Pre-buy consulting is really a skill set all on its own. When looking at a vintage, complex aircraft, it is key to find the type community of the plane one is interested in, and find out who the actual experts are and contact one of them for a pre-buy.
I would 100% agree with this. A lesson I most certainly have learned as well. I hired a mechanic for a prebuy recommended by someone I trust with my aircraft. I just don’t believe he had the skill set or time in vintage aircraft’s required for the job. He deals with mostly off the production line trainers for flight schools. Next go around I will most definitely do more research on the expertise level of those involved. Comanches are also a foreign language for a lot of shops I’ve learned.

I would 100% agree with this. A lesson I most certainly have learned as well. I hired a mechanic for a prebuy recommended by someone I trust with my aircraft. I just don’t believe he had the skill set or time in vintage aircraft’s required for the job. He deals with mostly off the production line trainers for flight schools. Next go around I will most definitely do more research on the expertise level of those involved. Comanches are also a foreign language for a lot of shops I’ve learned.
I don't know where you are located, but off the top of my head, the shops I know that really know Comanches are Aircraft Engineering, Bartow, FL; Heritage Aero, Freeport, IL; Clifton Aero, Clifton, Tx; Webco Aircraft, Newton, KS; Phill-Air, Dover, DE, and Comanche Works (my team) in Blaine, MN. There are others, but these are what I can think of off hand. The list is in no particular order, so no ranking involved here.

I don't know where you are located, but off the top of my head, the shops I know that really know Comanches are Aircraft Engineering, Bartow, FL; Heritage Aero, Freeport, IL; Clifton Aero, Clifton, Tx; Webco Aircraft, Newton, KS; Phill-Air, Dover, DE, and Comanche Works (my team) in Blaine, MN. There are others, but these are what I can think of off hand. The list is in no particular order, so no ranking involved here.
Yes I absolutely love Aircraft engineering they are outstanding! I’m just in KDED above Orlando so they aren’t too far from me. Thank you for the list I’m gonna save that in case I’m ever traveling and need some help. Thanks!

If you go over to Sun 'n Fun, look for the Comanchetown tent over on the vintage parking area. They are also at Oshkosh.

Two other internet resources for Comanches is the Piper Comanche FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/68675657216/) and the Airworthy Comanche Forum (http://forums.delphiforums.com/comanches/start). When it comes to parts, if it is Comanche specific, your first call should be to Webco. They sell most Comanche parts.
Okay sick, I think I’m making it back over there tomorrow so I’ll definitely go check that out!

Back