Columbia 350 questions:

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have been lusting after one of these planes. I am currently looking at an ad for one, but I have a few questions. https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...model=350&listing_id=2366385&s-type=aircraft#

In the detailed description, it refers to CMax and EMax. What are those? (its ok if you laugh at that, as long as you can answer).

Engine is TCM IO-550-N25 (310hp). Does this engine sport FADEC? Some do, I'm not sure if all of them do.

Useful load with full fuel in plenty for my needs; My wife, me and around 130# cargo, and perhaps a cat or two.

As with all questions of this type, many are going to criticize it as being inferior to something else. That's ok. What else can give me ~220 kts w fixed gear and air conditioning? And look good!

Does this engine sport FADEC?
As I recall, an engine with FADEC installed will have an "F" in the model number... IOF-550-N25

Just to throw out there, had a customer look at one years ago but was put back by several limitations imposed under the new Part 23 certification requirements back then. In the end he went another direction. Even though the airframe had a life limit, it was the structural repair limitations that put him off as he normally flew his aircraft a lot and would get a ding or two every now and then.

What else can give me ~220 kts w fixed gear and air conditioning? And look good!
It's an awesome plane. I am slightly envious and wish you luck. The 350/400/TTx are, in many ways, superior to what Cirrus offers and (in many cases) at a much lower cost.

As far as answering your question.. basically nothing. Someone is going to come along and mention how much better the Mooney is at everything, but it's nice to fly in something that has a comfortable modern cabin built with modern materials and wasn't designed 70 years ago

CMAx emax are packages on the avidyne system.

EMax is engine monitoring. It may even have lean assist which is cool if it does.
CMax are charts in the Avidyne. This is nothing earth shattering in light of the G1000 family and Ipads.

I'd look closely to see if the Weatherlink will still get weather...it may require ADSB "in"...or another solution.

I have a Matrix with a similar Avidyne set up and had to spend deep to keep weather on the Avidyne. This was after the MLB700 that got weather through WSI was turned off. It still worked for a while but made weather incredibly iffy. I think it is 100% off now. You can learn about this on the Avidyne website here.
http://www.avidynelive.com/mlb100-not-showing-traffic-after-10-2_topic1306.html

Another thing, the Avidyne displays are eye-wateringingly expensive when and if they take a dump. I have replaced two thus far in a little over 500 hours and 8 years of ownership.

Also, ask about the portrait orientation display availability. I am not sure if there is an availability issue or service issue for these displays...

All that, this is a good price for such a capable aircraft.

I have been lusting after one of these planes. I am currently looking at an ad for one, but I have a few questions. https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...model=350&listing_id=2366385&s-type=aircraft#

In the detailed description, it refers to CMax and EMax. What are those? (its ok if you laugh at that, as long as you can answer).

Engine is TCM IO-550-N25 (310hp). Does this engine sport FADEC? Some do, I'm not sure if all of them do.

Useful load with full fuel in plenty for my needs; My wife, me and around 130# cargo, and perhaps a cat or two.

As with all questions of this type, many are going to criticize it as being inferior to something else. That's ok. What else can give me ~220 kts w fixed gear and air conditioning? And look good!

It's an awesome plane. I am slightly envious and wish you luck. The 350/400/TTx are, in many ways, superior to what Cirrus offers and (in many cases) at a much lower cost.

As far as answering your question.. basically nothing. Someone is going to come along and mention how much better the Mooney is at everything, but it's nice to fly in something that has a comfortable modern cabin built with modern materials and wasn't designed 70 years ago

Probably the best piston single series currently on the market. I used to fly a 300 and I still miss it. The design and build quality are superb. You should go for it.

220 MPH not kts. It’s maybe 15 kts faster than an SR22 but without the chute and possibly parts availability issues in the future. I sat in one and thought the cockpit setup and visibility was not nearly as good as the SR22.

Is there an upgrade path for the electronics ?

I was lusting for one of the few Columbia 300s at one time. After lurking on the Columbia web board for a while I decided that this was above my pay grade. A relative bought a Cessna 400 maybe two years ago. Took a year and just shy of 200k to get it to fly right, only about 1/2 of that for a new engine.

Always thought Cessna marketing really screwed the pooch with this this one. As far as being modern over the Mooney, forgot to mention cabin room for the modern FAA standard adult. Mooney's are snug. Isn't like 6" wider?

As I recall, an engine with FADEC installed will have an "F" in the model number... IOF-550-N25

Just to throw out there, had a customer look at one years ago but was put back by several limitations imposed under the new Part 23 certification requirements back then. In the end he went another direction. Even though the airframe had a life limit, it was the structural repair limitations that put him off as he normally flew his aircraft a lot and would get a ding or two every now and then.
I always thought they were cool looking planes. Didn't know about the life limit.

I always thought they were cool looking planes. Didn't know about the life limit.

I believe that is a requirement in part 23 for all newly certified types. The expectation is that as the fleet ages, the manufacturer increases the time limit. Outside of some cases like pipeline patrol or decades of training, few SEL aircraft are going to get close to those limits in decades. Obsolete electronics are going to be a bigger issue for the plastic planes than the lifetime limits on the airframe.

You appear to be correct. How would one find an airplane with an IOF engine? I tried searching a few sites (Tradeaplane, Controller, etc...) and IOF or FADEC were invalid search terms.

You are correct again. A friend of mine had a Diamond DA40 and one of his complaints was that even little dings were expensive and often required replacing large sections of the airframe.

220 MPH not kts. It’s maybe 15 kts faster than an SR22 but without the chute and possibly parts availability issues in the future. I sat in one and thought the cockpit setup and visibility was not nearly as good as the SR22.
You too are right. I should have known better than to make that mistake.

I was lusting for one of the few Columbia 300s at one time. After lurking on the Columbia web board for a while I decided that this was above my pay grade. A relative bought a Cessna 400 maybe two years ago. Took a year and just shy of 200k to get it to fly right, only about 1/2 of that for a new engine.
That along with the rest of the comments have made me reconsider. If I traded the Bonanza, I could swing the purchase price, but that would make ongoing maintenance harder, especially if something expensive came along.

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I'll probably just keep the Bonanza. My starter problem has been solved. Interior is new and paint is good. My panel is "adequate" (GNS 530W, GTX345, G5, Storm Scope, EDM 700 monitor). 170 kts (not mph) ROP or 164kts LOP. All I need now is a ($30k) A/C and I guess I'll be set. That'll be easier on the budget than a couple hundred AMUs on an unknown aircraft.

How would one find an airplane with an IOF engine?
Send an email to the website and ask if they can search the data fields on their side. If not maybe suggest they do add that field. Another way is to manually research what aircraft model or S/N has FADEC and look from that point. I don't think every aircraft data field listing, i.e. engine model number, is publicly searchable. I've done both methods in the past when looking for specific items but that was only on helicopters.

RV-10 - performance/price
b513cf8db7b52391ca2b4946c65e0eba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You appear to be correct. How would one find an airplane with an IOF engine? I tried searching a few sites (Tradeaplane, Controller, etc...) and IOF or FADEC were invalid search terms.

You are correct again. A friend of mine had a Diamond DA40 and one of his complaints was that even little dings were expensive and often required replacing large sections of the airframe.

You too are right. I should have known better than to make that mistake.

That along with the rest of the comments have made me reconsider. If I traded the Bonanza, I could swing the purchase price, but that would make ongoing maintenance harder, especially if something expensive came along.

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I'll probably just keep the Bonanza. My starter problem has been solved. Interior is new and paint is good. My panel is "adequate" (GNS 530W, GTX345, G5, Storm Scope, EDM 700 monitor). 170 kts (not mph) ROP or 164kts LOP. All I need now is a ($30k) A/C and I guess I'll be set. That'll be easier on the budget than a couple hundred AMUs on an unknown aircraft.
There are older SR22, some of them kept in very nice shape, that can be picked up for under 300,000.. less "unknowns" than Columbia with a good network and support

But if you're happy with what you got then there's no real reason to sell..

Do Columbias also "feature" a castering nosewheel?

Don't know about columbias but suspect so. My Lancair, and I believe all Lancairs, have a castering nosewheel.

Is there an upgrade path for the electronics ?

Maintenance costs are outrageous and all, but what could be $200k wrong on this plane?

Are castering nose wheels actually a feature? Is that why you put it in quotes?
My friends Diamond had a castering nose wheel, and it was a pita to push backwards (into a hangar), especially with it's wide wingspan and narrow hangar doors.

Are castering nose wheels actually a feature? Is that why you put it in quotes?
My friends Diamond had a castering nose wheel, and it was a pita to push backwards (into a hangar), especially with it's wide wingspan and narrow hangar doors.

I’ve grown to like a castering nosewheel. I used to push my taildragger around so there’s that. I enjoy exercising some foot dancing skills as I try to stay off the brakes.

But it does require a tow bar for ground handling.

There’s less to maintain for a self maintainer.

Seemed weird at first but simple is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yup.

And they're heavy airplanes. Empty weight around 2300. Contrast that with the Cessna 185, a 300-hp, six-seater (cramped back two seats), fixed gear, constant-speed prop airplane, at 1800 lb or less.

Last edited:
I grew to really like the castering nose wheels. You can turn on a dime and while pushing it back is cumbersome it's generally easier manuevering on the ground. After don't a few recent flights in a PA28 I was surprised how wide the turning radius is

These pocket rockets have high wing loading and will whip stall before you are ready. Fly it like your life depends on it. No forgiveness, my son.

I knew a guy with a Columbia. He said if the seal in the nose strut goes, the entire unit has to be replaced at $8k a pop.

These pocket rockets have high wing loading and will whip stall before you are ready. Fly it like your life depends on it. No forgiveness, my son.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a Columbia, but if you are, your statement about stalls is false. Maybe you were talking about a Lancair 4 or something. Here's a video from about 10 years ago where Darryl Taylor demonstrates stalls in a Columbia 300. He has the stick pulled all the way back and it doesn't even break left or right:

Here's a more recent video from last year, with the same pilot (Darryl) giving a demo in a TTX (the same airframe, turbo engine, G2000). Watch at 17 minutes in, he talks about stall characteristics, and then demonstrates a stall:

The actual stall is at about 19 minutes in.

That said, the original poster has a Bonanza, which is already an awesome plane. And it's retractable, which to me is an advantage over the Columbia (fixed gear). (I fly a Columbia 400).

Cessna 400 driver here. These are awesome airplanes with huge capabilities. The parts support is as strong as any Cessna single and there are several shops who really know the airframes in and out (but bring your checkbook because they are not cheap to maintain). Van Bortel in Texas and Woodland Aviation in Northern California are the most well known for supporting the type.

I have the G1000 and GFC700 which will be supported long into the future. I don’t know much about the Avidyne setups. If you can get into a G1000 bird, definitely go in that direction.

My upgrade path is likely a Meridian and I can’t think of much in between that would make a lot of sense. The people that own these planes tend to really be enthusiastic about the type and the speed, comfort, and ramp appeal always top the list of reasons why.

The stall comment above is inaccurate.

I’m not aware of any FADEC options at any point during the Columbia or Cessna production.

Castering nose wheel is a non-issue. Very easy to manage.

Side sticks are connected to the control surfaces via push rods. Such a fun plane to hand fly.

Cabin can get hot. AC is a must. I’m not sure if was an option or if they all came with it.

Flap extension speed is very low considering how fast you can cruise. Speed brakes help but the flap extension speed is one of my main complaints about the design.

Here's a more recent video from last year, with the same pilot (Darryl) giving a demo in a TTX (the same airframe, turbo engine, G2000). Watch at 17 minutes in, he talks about stall characteristics, and then demonstrates a stall:

It is my understanding that the 300/350 have the same airframe but that the 400/TTX is different in more respects than just the engine/prop.

It is my understanding that the 300/350 have the same airframe but that the 400/TTX is different in more respects than just the engine/prop.

One difference is the ventral fin on the 400 is larger. The 350 may not even have a ventral fin. Compare the area below the rudder:

Columbia 350
img.axd

Columbia 400:
188272.jpg

Back