Colorado POA'ers Sunday 4/11

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Taking Clark's dictate that I should arrange the next event....

The Final Four is over,
Rockies have a 1:10pm game (San Diego) at home,
Avalanche are playing the Kings (also at home, also at 1 pm, so stay far away from downtown Denver!),
Nuggets are NOT playing,

Sunday weather:

Denver - sunny, high of 71
Salida - sunny, high in mid-60s
Alamosa - sunny, high in mid-60s
Raton, NM - sunny, high near 70
anyplace else?

so Sunday seems like a great day for the CO/POA to fly someplace for lunch. The southern CO EAA chapters have Sunday breakfast at PUB, if that's appealing.

Sunday's looking OK for me, it's even a hard day off.

As far as the destination goes I'm at the mercy of whoever is flying the airplane I am in...

Dakota annual starts Saturday, so looks like I'm restricted to 4 wheels instead of 3 ...

Dakota annual starts Saturday, so looks like I'm restricted to 4 wheels instead of 3 ...
You could always hitch a ride like I'm going to do. I don't have 3 wheels either.

OK, I gotta check with the SO, but I'm seriously interested.

If I bring the wife and kids, I'll have 1 spare seat. If I just bring me I'll have 5 spare seats.

I got 2 extra seats (if Salida), 3 extra if we stay flatland.

Bring family - it's always fun with more people!

Clark?

Sunday is looking ok right now. Have three emptish seats or can be self-loading ballast (ok, not really, I'm not good ballast). I'd vote fer somewheres in the hills rather than PUB as long as weather permits. I'm tired of Flower turning their nose up to me (ok, so it was only once but that was enough. Good thing I had my own chocks.).

If we go to PUB I'm bringing fly spray to repel the swarms of Katana's.

If you wanted to fly over the divide, you folks could come to Steamboat. Between my car and the available crew car, I could get everybody over to the Steamboat Smokehouse (not to bad Texas Style BBQ) for lunch. "Predicted" winds aloft @ 9k and 12k look to be out of the South - Southwest at less than 20 knots.

Sunday is looking ok right now. Have three emptish seats or can be self-loading ballast (ok, not really, I'm not good ballast). I'd vote fer somewheres in the hills rather than PUB as long as weather permits. I'm tired of Flower turning their nose up to me (ok, so it was only once but that was enough. Good thing I had my own chocks.).

If we go to PUB I'm bringing fly spray to repel the swarms of Katana's.

Weekends aren't nearly as bad for the Katana's...Doss students aren't usually flying on the weekends unless they have lessons to make up.

If you wanted to fly over the divide, you folks could come to Steamboat. Between my car and the available crew car, I could get everybody over to the Steamboat Smokehouse (not to bad Texas Style BBQ) for lunch. "Predicted" winds aloft @ 9k and 12k look to be out of the South - Southwest at less than 20 knots.

I need to fly with Clark or else take the long way around. I haven't flown over Corona yet, and my long-standing, never to be broken rule is to NEVER fly a pass until I've been over/thru it with someone who knows it well.

I need to fly with Clark or else take the long way around. I haven't flown over Corona yet, and my long-standing, never to be broken rule is to NEVER fly a pass until I've been over/thru it with someone who knows it well.

I'd be happy to offer you a lift or I'm sure Mari can guide you over quite well. I'm presuming a bit on Mari and maybe she's not comfortable with "itty-bitty" Pipers and less than 10,000 feet of clearance on any pass.:D

I'd be happy to offer you a lift or I'm sure Mari can guide you over quite well. I'm presuming a bit on Mari and maybe she's not comfortable with "itty-bitty" Pipers and less than 10,000 feet of clearance on any pass.:D
Haha, I'm fine with providing moral support to Murphey as we were going to do that last fall when plans changed. Corona Pass is pretty easy to see.

The less risky (relatively speaking) route is to go north picking up either hwy 287 or V575 until you see the rather large power lines (depicted on the sectional) that run due east/west. Follow these power lines West all the way to Steamboat. This is a very low altitude route to cross the divide into Steamboat (probably can do the entire route at less than 10k). Going over Corona you have to also go over Rabbit Ears, so two passes with unforgiving terrain. With the "power line" route the only pass with rugged terrain is coming into Steamboat, and the distance covered is small, so the exposure time is short.

I have done both routes. Corona/Rabbit Ears is more scenic, but the power line route has less exposure. I have done the power line route when the mountain awos at Copper was reporting +35kts winds and only got light turb. I am sure that Corona would have been MUCH more exciting that day!

There, fixed it for ya!
Nah, it's harder to pick out from up high. It just blends in with all the other mountains like this...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lenticulars [800x600].jpg
    Lenticulars [800x600].jpg
    120 KB · Views: 50
Nah, it's harder to pick out from up high. It just blends in with all the other mountains like this...

Ya might want to stand back a bit ya'll, my nose is starting to bleed...

The less risky (relatively speaking) route is to go north picking up either hwy 287 or V575 until you see the rather large power lines (depicted on the sectional) that run due east/west. Follow these power lines West all the way to Steamboat. This is a very low altitude route to cross the divide into Steamboat (probably can do the entire route at less than 10k). Going over Corona you have to also go over Rabbit Ears, so two passes with unforgiving terrain. With the "power line" route the only pass with rugged terrain is coming into Steamboat, and the distance covered is small, so the exposure time is short.

I have done both routes. Corona/Rabbit Ears is more scenic, but the power line route has less exposure. I have done the power line route when the mountain awos at Copper was reporting +35kts winds and only got light turb. I am sure that Corona would have been MUCH more exciting that day!

The powerline route - is that the one that follows the state line then turns SW midway between Laramie & Walden? That's the route I usually take to Saratoga. Or V575-V101 into Steamboat?

The powerline route - is that the one that follows the state line then turns SW midway between Laramie & Walden? That's the route I usually take to Saratoga. Or V575-V101 into Steamboat?

Definately not V101. Looking at the chart I think it is the same route that you are taking to Saratoga. Just keep following the powerlines SW in Walden, and it leads over the Park Range and into Steamboat.

Here is a skyvector link:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.7837241...0.5338318493279,-106.67519705049228:A.K2.KSBS

I see what you are talking about, take Hwy 287 that goes from Ft Collins to Laramie past Virginia Dale, then the power lines go just NW of Walden.

So do we have a plan here? Is it Steamboat? What time?

I got a kitchen pass, so I'm in. I'll be bringing my parents and 2 kids.

If everyone is still willing to come up, I am still willing to play host. It might take a trip or two to get everyone from the airport to the restaurant, but that is no problem.

Wx is looking pretty good right now. Looks like we are scheduled to have a high pressure system overhead for the next few days.

As far as I'm concerned it's up to one of my two drivers, Murphey and/or Clark. I spotted Corona Pass from the air yesterday, BTW, and also Walden.

Brunchtime is probably best for me. 10:00 or 10:30. And Steamboat works.

As far as I'm concerned it's up to one of my two drivers, Murphey and/or Clark. I spotted Corona Pass from the air yesterday, BTW, and also Walden.

So the zoom-in on the synthetic vision is still working...that's nice. I know youse guys don't even look out of the window.:D

I'm go for Sunday at this point and I'm good with up to two additional bodies on board. The Dakota is full of fuel so it'd likely be overweight with full seats unless two of them were filled with Mari sized people.

As for timing, I'm thinking arrive SBS between 11:30 and 12:00 but that's just me. I can be bribed to think otherwise.

So the zoom-in on the synthetic vision is still working...
Well, it didn't zoom in close enough to see those power lines, but the snow cover in North Park was about 50% and patchy which makes it harder to see things like power lines from "way up there", IMHO.

On second thought 11:30 or 12:00 might be better.
5 of us so far.
I could pick up 1 more on our way north from CO12. (BJC, EIK, BDU, LMO, or FNL?)

I'm in! Haven't decided if I'll be a backseat pilot with Clark & Mari or fly myself.

decisions, decisions, decisions....faster with Clark, I can sleep in the back....

OK, do you want to meet at the terminal at KFTG at some time on Sunday morning? I know I can't estimate the time it will take either of you to fly to KSBS. It would take me about .5. :D

OK, do you want to meet at the terminal at KFTG at some time on Sunday morning? I know I can't estimate the time it will take either of you to fly to KSBS. It would take me about .5. :D

Is there agreement about arriving about 11:00 am? I'd have to go the long way around (the power line route), so it would be somewhere between 1.5 & 2.0 hours depending on winds. So I'd need to leave at 9:00 am to be on the safe side.

Clark - how long for you?

Last edited:
Clark - how long for you?

'bout an hour - I suspect it would be on the plus side of the hour so leave a bit before 10. Certified passengers have to work the radios and look out the window so I can concentrate on the important things like what I plan to have for lunch and whether or not the ice tea will be drinkable this time of year.

This certified passenger is going to be the photojournalist no matter whose airplane she rides in. :D

She can multitask, however...

Bummer too far away for me, I'm going skiing anyway so it's all good :smilewinkgrin:

I will plan on being at the airport around 10:45 with ground transport ready. If someone gets there before me call me on my cell ( nine sevan oh ate for six ate ate nine 7), I will probably be at my office which is only 3 minutes from the field (I have a great view of final for 32).

OMG, I wish I could go.

Please, please, please, please, please continue doing this for another few months at least. I've been jonesing for a fly-in for so long now.

I see what you are talking about, take Hwy 287 that goes from Ft Collins to Laramie past Virginia Dale, then the power lines go just NW of Walden.

Hey neat, that was my path from 3V5 to KLAS one time.

Except I got stuck right when you turn the corner to head back south on the backside of the front range.

Stupid clouds. I tuned into Waldon-Jackson's AWOS and it was clear below 12,000ft, I just couldn't get there. ARGH!

That is, assuming, this is where you follow the mountains north, right about the Wyoming State Line, you turn west, then when behind the big boys, you turn south again?

OMG, I wish I could go.

Please, please, please, please, please continue doing this for another few months at least. I've been jonesing for a fly-in for so long now.

Y'know...we could do one to Raton or Taos or Santa Fe in May...

Back