Colorado POA this Sunday

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Figgered a new thread was appropriate. Who is up for lunch this Sunday? Who has empty seats and who wants to ride along?

I'll start out by saying that I can have an empty seat or three but I can ditch that and ride along. As others can testify, I never ask for pro-rata share if I'm driving...

My vote for lunch is LHX but only 'cause I've never made it to the golf club for lunch there.

Last edited:
I can most likely go but I would be hitchhiking, so wherever the driver(s) go is fine with me.

Anyway, I guess I'm not allowed to suggest unless the driver(s) have at least a commercial. :D

supposed to go somewhere warm but if we can't get out long range I suppose I could go. I can fit one, maybe 2 if they're light.

I was down at LHX last week for lunch. The restaurant at the golf course is going to close permanently on Dec. 23rd. A new tenant is being sought.

This may now be a question mark for me. I just got a call that one of us (not me) is in the hospital so there may be major scheduling changes ahead.

I was down at LHX last week for lunch. The restaurant at the golf course is going to close permanently on Dec. 23rd. A new tenant is being sought.
probably not the best time to go then, especially since the staff knows they're out of a job in a week!

Sorry guys I fly out to PDX saturday.

Let me know how it goes!

Next time!

At this point I'd like to change my vote to *not* LHX...

Maybe you all should crash Overdrive's place and welcome him to CO. LOL

David

The day pbor2 passes, you will all meet me.

I'll withhold my awesomeness for now. Sorry Mari, your surprise is already ruined.

Maybe you all should crash Overdrive's place and welcome him to CO. LOL

David

My place!? :rofl:

I'm moved in with an internet friend of 8 years and his brother! Once I can find my own place/move in, you guys are welcome to come sit on the floor because that's probably all I'll have at first. :eek:

I may or may not be working this Sunday. I'm also on the heavier side of the FAA sized person...

Also what the hell is with your snow storms, they were saying 3-4 inches last night... I braved the snow-destroyed roads this morning (first major snow driving I've done) and my boss said 10 inches expected. We got 7 or 8 but driving around on the airfield it looked like more :hairraise:

Also what the hell is with your snow storms, they were saying 3-4 inches last night... I braved the snow-destroyed roads this morning (first major snow driving I've done) and my boss said 10 inches expected. We got 7 or 8 but driving around on the airfield it looked like more :hairraise:

Upslope is difficult to predict. Just wait until spring when an upslope can park for a couple days...

Not sure I can attend, so don't want to skew things... but welcoming Overdrive and Fiancee to Colorado at a local place might be a great idea! There's plenty in the greater Erie area.

Fiancee is still in Oklahoma for a few months more since she's recovering from surgery still, but I don't have much to do when not working so why not? I'm on a 9/80 schedule (I think).

If any of you local guys want to trade cell numbers PM me :D I have Mari so far...and that's it.

I escaped the snow after breaking trail out of my neighborhood. Why is it I didn't fly for a week then got a trip today ?

Has more to do with all the old forecasters retiring at NWS and the forecast office move to Boulder a decade ago. They don't have a damned clue what happens east of I-25 anymore and haven't for a long time.

One forecaster got it right. Ed Green on CBS4. He's older than dirt and been doing weather here for all of that time.

When he's actually on anymore Nick Carter on Fox usually gets it right, too. He's a pilot.

Sabine on 9/20, ignore everything she says. She's an accountant by training and added meteorology later on. She's reading from NWS most of the time.

Clark's right. You'll learn to fear the word "upslope" when used in reference to a snowstorm. That's when we get dumped on.

Low pressure sets up near four corners and then tracks across the southern border of CO and pumps moisture counterclockwise out of the Gulf of Mexico uphill where the air cools and the dewpoint spreads decrease until precipitation has to occur... and then it does that for 24-48 hours straight. Mix in a nice cold front from the north-northwest colliding with it and the wind howls and the snow dumps.

Not sure I can attend, so don't want to skew things... but welcoming Overdrive and Fiancee to Colorado at a local place might be a great idea! There's plenty in the greater Erie area.

Not a bad idea.

Fiancee is still in Oklahoma for a few months more since she's recovering from surgery still, but I don't have much to do when not working so why not? I'm on a 9/80 schedule (I think).

If any of you local guys want to trade cell numbers PM me :D I have Mari so far...and that's it.

Will send one.

I escaped the snow after breaking trail out of my neighborhood. Why is it I didn't fly for a week then got a trip today ?

Heh. Our driveway drifted again but not as bad. Could have gotten out at 06:30 when I busted a trail with the Yukon but Karen's clinic didn't need her with all the cancellations so they told her to forget about coming in and by 07:30 the wind had filled in the tracks completely.

Drift was 4' high on the downwind side of the house in front of the garage around 3PM and 2-3' high in the worst spot on the driveway. Rest of the driveway was nearly cleared off by the wind. Even the driveway right behind the drift sloping up to the garage was clear. Wind just piles it in inconvenient places.

North south county dirt road in front of the house had cool snow waves on it. Looked like the beach. Only white and colder.

John Deere, Ford and I got all of it cleared by just after sundown. See what it does tonight. Wind died down.

Drifts on the north side of the house are built up from last storm still, haven't melted back there in the shade. They're pushing 5' now, about 5-7' from the house. Just a little ridge of snow that won't go away until spring probably.

Oh well. It'll all be turning to runoff and mud out here this weekend, looks like.

I was reading where rental housing vacancy rates in the Metro area are at 2-3% and was thinking that's going to suck for you OD. That won't ease up at all until next summer if/when some big tract house companies really get after it. They don't seem to be in any hurry. Co-worker ordered a house built almost a year ago, they got the foundation and part of the framing up and then the builder lost their crew to $700K+ mansion building and they stopped all construction on his place. He's quite ticked the frame will be standing out in the elements unprotected for at least half a year before anything changes.

If you're in a position to buy, and it'll hurt price-wise if you do, holler if you need a good real estate reference. We really liked the broker we used to sell our city place and he's fast and no BS. He's too busy to mess around much.

Basically no matter how you slice it, housing here sucks right now. Way too many people and too few places, and prices are really high.

If you're in a position to buy, and it'll hurt price-wise if you do, holler if you need a good real estate reference. We really liked the broker we used to sell our city place and he's fast and no BS. He's too busy to mess around much.

Basically no matter how you slice it, housing here sucks right now. Way too many people and too few places, and prices are really high.

Finances right now are pretty iffy. I spent the majority of my scant savings on the test, interview, clothes, hotel waiting for place to be ready, a flat tire on i-25 and subsequent new tires all around, food, rent and deposit, Andorra noticed a crack in my windshield tonight on the way home. I was sick on day 3 and was offered day 4 off and took that. Without a parental loan I would be wrecked.

Once paychecks start coming I will be pretty positive. Never done anything other than rent and I don't think I have nearly enough for a down payment anywhere on a house much less enough income but never done it before. Coworkers were saying rent is higher than a mortgage right now.

Staying at a friends place for basically cost at like 400/mo but then the fiancé comes that wont be an option so...

I'd like to live closer to the airport but otherwise I don't mind where.

Didn't mean to derail, throttle :p

WX is looking good for a run to AZ on Sun so I'm probably out. Besides, I'd just get tired of waiting for you guys once I got there. :yes:

Last edited:
Finances right now are pretty iffy. I spent the majority of my scant savings on the test, interview, clothes, hotel waiting for place to be ready, a flat tire on i-25 and subsequent new tires all around, food, rent and deposit, Andorra noticed a crack in my windshield tonight on the way home. I was sick on day 3 and was offered day 4 off and took that. Without a parental loan I would be wrecked.

Once paychecks start coming I will be pretty positive. Never done anything other than rent and I don't think I have nearly enough for a down payment anywhere on a house much less enough income but never done it before. Coworkers were saying rent is higher than a mortgage right now.

Staying at a friends place for basically cost at like 400/mo but then the fiancé comes that wont be an option so...

I'd like to live closer to the airport but otherwise I don't mind where.

Didn't mean to derail, throttle :p

Can't live at the airport in the underground areas that don't exist? LOL

David

Well then...does anybody want to meet on Sunday?

Still looking possible for me on Sunday...

Not allowed! :wink2:

Find yourself a good drainage ditch that doesn't have snow in it yet. Might be warm enough to live in. :)

Good luck with the job btw! Have had zero luck on getting an airport ops job and have given up. 4 years of trying is enough. CFI and other jobs is the only way I guess. My degree is just a piece of paper.

David

No flying for me right now...got a miserable cold.

Find yourself a good drainage ditch that doesn't have snow in it yet. Might be warm enough to live in. :)

Good luck with the job btw! Have had zero luck on getting an airport ops job and have given up. 4 years of trying is enough. CFI and other jobs is the only way I guess. My degree is just a piece of paper.

David

What's your degree and experience? For what it's worth I got this one with 1.5 years part time airport ops experience at a small single runway 4 employees total general aviation airport and an aviation (aeronautics) degree. I could keep you posted when openings for my job here open if you want

Anybody up for GXY?

Could. Think this stupid wind will die down?

Watched someone with about a thirty degree crab go over the house and then the engine got quiet. Then he descended to about 100' AGL toward the ranch to the south.

Looks like someone's CFI was playing the engine-just-quit game out here this morning. They climbed out and didn't end up visiting the gun dog trainer's ranch/hilltop.

Could. Think this stupid wind will die down?

Watched someone with about a thirty degree crab go over the house and then the engine got quiet. Then he descended to about 100' AGL toward the ranch to the south.

Looks like someone's CFI was playing the engine-just-quit game out here this morning. They climbed out and didn't end up visiting the gun dog trainer's ranch/hilltop.

Not so bad:

Winds aloft forecast based on observations taken on the 19th at 5:00am MST
(1200Z). Forecast valid on the 19th at 11:00am MST (1800Z), for use from
7:00am MST (1400Z) to 2:00pm MST (2100Z). Temperatures are negative above
24,000 feet.
FT 3000 6000 9000 12000 18000 24000 30000 34000 39000 7500
DEN 2617+07 2622+01 2542-16 2560-29 256043 257854 268960
Denver CO [DEN]
PUB 2419+07 2424+02 2442-14 2549-28 255743 258052 268959
Pueblo CO [PUB]
BFF 2420 2424+04 2427-03 2653-17 2669-30 268045 268854 268760 3010+24
Scottsbluff NE [BFF]

Looks like the forecast is for the wind to swing around to be out of the north. A low is moving east followed by a high from the northwest. Should calm down tomorrow for a while.

I think I'd better finish getting stuff ready for Christmas tomorrow. Sorry guys, maybe a New Yearsish thing? Karen couldn't wait to see Star Wars so I blew a few hours today that I'll have to make up tomorrow. (It's good BTW...)

Looks like a "bag it" unless Mari wants to fly tomorrow...

I've got absolutely zero spare minutes (Seems like all year this year has been this way) ... in fact, if I'm only double-booked for things, I feel like I'm forgetting something. So, I can't join in for whatever might transpire tomorrow.
Have fun whatever you do, and fly safely!

Back