Colorado / KAPA / Centennial : C-1 Run-Up Area

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
New info from KAPA on the C1 run-up area.

Most notably, they'd like you to turn around and point your tail into the grass, after moving as far off to the edge as possible.

Attachments

• c1 runup area.pdf
    464.5 KB · Views: 67
I am hatching a plan to check out in a Bonanza with a club based in Centennial - it's the closest publicly available Bo to me. Can't wait to see what it's like to fly out of your crazy airport with "monitor" remarks and all. And now this. How do you guys even manage to internalize all of it?

Isn't Murphey based at FTG? I met her there a couple of times back when she had a Cherokee.

Nate, thanks for posting. More clarity on the C-1 runup area was definitely needed. Not sure this is the best solution, though.

A lot of guys do their runups on the apron in front of that nearby hangar to the east, inside the stripes that clearly say "No taxi, no runup." That's probably part of what led to this.

They should have created a proper runup area when they rejiggered runway 10-28 last year. Not sure I'm happy about getting someone's runup power propwash blowing across my taildragger just as I'm starting my takeoff roll.

Isn't Murphey based at FTG? I met her there a couple of times back when she had a Cherokee.
She is ... but she's also den mother for Colorado Pilots Association, hence the dead tree pdf reference Nate made.

The procedures at Centennial never bothered me. Have they changed them recently?

I am hatching a plan to check out in a Bonanza with a club based in Centennial - it's the closest publicly available Bo to me. Can't wait to see what it's like to fly out of your crazy airport with "monitor" remarks and all. And now this. How do you guys even manage to internalize all of it?
It's not a big deal. No internalization required. All it takes is two things.
  • An understanding that airports can have different procedures based on their needs and configuration.
  • Listening to the ATIS.
Talking about 200JJ at Centennial Flyers? It's been 3 years but I loved flying that airplane!

I'm not a huge fan of the C1 runup area. It's too congested and a lot of traffic moves through there. Hopefully this .pdf will clear if up if it gets disseminated widely.

That's what I was already doing most of the time. This will make it more crowded along the grass, I think but maybe not if this is true...

They only want us to use the C1 runup if departing 10. Not sure I like that. I want to pass my runup before I bother taxiing all the way up to the N or S runup areas along A.

I'll probably just find a quiet/clean spot someplace in the "back" around area H and do my runup there (like hanging my tail off that easternmost taxilane, whatever that is called) when departing from 17 or 35. They have had us calling them "runup complete" for years but this goes against that. I often do my runup before I even call for my clearance.

I'll probably just find a quiet/clean spot someplace in the "back" around area H and do my runup there (like hanging my tail off that easternmost taxilane, whatever that is called) when departing from 17 or 35. They have had us calling them "runup complete" for years but this goes against that. I often do my runup before I even call for my clearance.

Ever since the change to taxi to specific run up areas and the extra call to ground to leave them, I've been running up in the hangar row or over there to the east (since Hotel is all non-movement area it doesn't really matter how you get around down there and you don't have to call them) as long as it's safe with no airplanes or people or cars to sandblast and no hangar doors unlatched that would be tossed around. Our hangar row is pretty quiet except for weekend mornings. The most common doors to be up are ours, the Gobosh next to us, and the Cirrus across and a couple over. I hardly ever see any other doors open in our row. The Doc that's building an airplane is a couple up from us and I've known him for decades (used to fly his Mooney even) and he'll latch his people-door for us so we can run up in the row if he's there working on it.

It's so much easier to call run-up complete, especially if departing 10. They just clear you to taxi to the 10 hold short line and as soon as they can see you come out from behind the hangar row, it's "monitor tower" and usually an immediate takeoff clearance before you even hit the hold line.

Then on the way back in if winds are favorable or light I'll take 28 to arrive and turn off at the first exit and right into our row.

It's kinda like having your own runway over there and you avoid Mari and her friends playing tag with the F-18s and what not on the 17/35 complex. Heh.

I'm usually a little bummed when the wind makes me taxi all the way over there to depart 17 or 35.

Arrivals are a little better. If you let them know you're going to Hotel and ask to land long, you just aim to be down a little ways before A-8 going either direction (and beg for 17L and 35R instead of all the way over on the west runway) and it's an immediate "cross Alpha to the ramp, remain this frequency" about 99% of the time.

Even if you have to call ground, if you switch radios fast enough and there's no traffic, it's quick to get that crossing instruction and you're done since it's all non-movement from there.

The stupid coyotes like to play there at the A-8 intersection at night, too... By the way. Airport Ops will come chase them off if you see 'em. I used to tell the tower but anymore with Bluetooth on the Lightspeeds I just hit the speed dial for Ops and it's forwarded at night to the cell phone in the truck if they're out of the office. Usually they're over there hazing the coyotes before I'm shut down in Hotel if they're already in the truck doing something else. They like to go play with the sirens and lights anyway. Heh.

They have to ask Airport ops for a 10 landing, and make sure they don't have anyone with a tall tail taxiing on Alpha, but I've done that one a few times when the wind is easterly.

And at night when the place is empty they'll do a 28 departure also. That's kinda fun. Turn north at the tower and wave hello.

One of the 10 landings they misjudged how fast a jet was going to come out of X-Jet to take off southbound and it was night so he was working all positions on Tower freq and I hear this "ShineyJet 123 Stop, stop, stop. Hold short there on Alpha for traffic landing 10."

I kept an eye to see he was stopping and thanked them both for the accidental pause in his taxi to land.

Nice of them both to work that out. I could have gone around and made another lap to let him finish getting up to 17L and landed before he took off.

I could definitely see if you got low landing 10 how taxiway Alpha traffic is a collision hazard.

If anyone gets a chance to do this, remember that 10 is sloped downhill, get the power off and get down there or you'll be a loooong way down there before you get slowed up.

I landed 10 once long long ago with an instructor. I wonder if they still have to go through all that stuff for 10 landings since they displaced the threshold.

I runup in the row sometimes. Sometimes I taxi down to the end near taxilane C so that anyone taxiing in at that end would see me and anyone taxiing in at the other end would be far from my blast. I check six frequently if I runup in the row.

It was nice of them to install that "parking space" halfway down the row. I don't park there long term but it sure is nice when I'm just going out for a hop. I guess Fran could park an airplane there permanently if there were proper tie downs. I was shocked to see a port-a-port actually be moved tho.

Come to think of it, mine could use some welding work. I have some major corrosion damage to one of the rear members on the left wing side. Know anyone?

This is why we need local airport subforums imho. :-D

I landed 10 once long long ago with an instructor. I wonder if they still have to go through all that stuff for 10 landings since they displaced the threshold.

I runup in the row sometimes. Sometimes I taxi down to the end near taxilane C so that anyone taxiing in at that end would see me and anyone taxiing in at the other end would be far from my blast. I check six frequently if I runup in the row.

It was nice of them to install that "parking space" halfway down the row. I don't park there long term but it sure is nice when I'm just going out for a hop. I guess Fran could park an airplane there permanently if there were proper tie downs. I was shocked to see a port-a-port actually be moved tho.

Come to think of it, mine could use some welding work. I have some major corrosion damage to one of the rear members on the left wing side. Know anyone?

This is why we need local airport subforums imho. :-D

Hmm. Maybe that's why they moved the threshold. It certainly was to safe to have big aircraft on Alpha taxiing by during a 10 landing. Haha.

Never thought about the big hole being a good car parking spot. Ha. We're so close to the end, we park there unless there's a ten foot high snow pile in the end spot. Or we just pull the car in the hangar.

I don't think Fran is short any tied down spots at the moment. There even appear to be openings in the open shelters lately. A few anyway.

Welding... No ideas here but if you happen to figure out someone let me know. We need a little welding work done too. Haha.

Stroll into Arapahoe Aero and see if Scott Utz has a mechanic who can weld.

The last time I was in there it cost me thousands. Hahaha. ;) Seriously we like those guys, but that was the scene of the "The Robinson STC requires oddball aileron hinges... And they want $950 for half of two hinges...." debacle. :) And they had the great joy of replacing our failed bladder a few years ago... :) I think I have mild PTSD anytime I go near the place. Haha.

Call Bill Zempel at FTG. He has a couple folks that weld on airplanes. 303 261 4111

Wasn't the question about welding a hangar, not an airplane?

Back