Colorado 4th

Damn! Clear skies, light winds aloft. I dont' know... :D

And i'm still stuck in buffalo with the relatives.

Cramfarkle.
Felgercarb.
Oh bother.

I'm headed to KAPA to put my thumb out....

I put my thumb out and someone actually picked me up! Thanks again for the Frankenkota ride, Clark.

Here are some pictures...

2011-07-02%252520at%25252007-59-50.jpg

Lake Granby

2011-07-02%252520at%25252008-01-55.jpg

Granby Airport, well, you can almost see it.

2011-07-02%252520at%25252009-08-19.jpg

Tony and David

2011-07-02%252520at%25252009-37-43.jpg

POA crew with Eric's Jabiru

Sorry I don't have any pictures of you, Mark. For whatever reason you were the last person I thought would be waving at me from that airplane!

I kept saying there were way more people and airplanes than I expected and it seemed like the whole town of Granby was there. It was a beautiful day, though.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of you, Mark.
No one's missing much.
For whatever reason you were the last person I thought would be waving at me from that airplane!
Why not?

I kept saying there were way more people and airplanes than I expected and it seemed like the whole town of Granby was there. It was a beautiful day, though.
It was a glorious day!!! Couldn't have been better.

Of course, now the PM thunderstorms are rolling through Denver and heading to grow stronger as they move east.

The Grandby EAA had quite the turnout today. It was cool to answer the little kids questions as they were looking wide eyed at all the airplanes! I missed Mark, but hooked up with Clark, Mari, and Eric. Finally got to see the Jabiru, pretty cool airplane, love that baggage space!

The most striking image from the trip was the Colorado River @ Kremmling. We had quite the snowpack this year in the Rockies, and as you can tell the rivers have been very high:

IMG_20110702_074831.jpg

Nate: I hope that new oven is "the bomb" as you missed a GREAT day of flying!!

It was a beautiful day for flying, at least on the way over. When I got over the divide on the way home I was greeted with an upslope and no obvious way to get under. I worked my way down the Cache La Poudre and about a 1500' ceiling along the foothills. Airport was reporting 2300' overcast. That was generous of the AWOS but I got in.

I always forget to take people pics. Thanks Mari. Toni, the house I remodeled and lived in for 5 years is about in the center of Kremmling. And it was good to meet up again. It's been a couple years at least.

Here's a picture of Longs Peak on my way over. Not a bump.

Attachments

• LongsPeak.jpg
    LongsPeak.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 11
Quit yer whining Blanche! It was just some of the best, smoooothest flying I've had in awhile. :devil:

Thanks for riding along and buying breakfast Mari. Word for other folks: Mari's hangar is full of fancy equipment so a tour is well worth your time.

Sounds like Eric has been having a lot of fun with the Jabiru.

Tony drives an airplane newer than my car. I'm sure that says Tony joined a good flying club. I'm not sure what that says about my ground transport choice.

It'd be tough to find a better flying morning in Colorado...

Sounds like a good time. The pics are spectacular.

We'll be up for a get-together towards the end of July. I gotta do some maintenance this week. There's a bit of a landing gear shimmy that needs exterminated and a little leak on the bottom on one of the tip tanks.

Forgot to comment on your observation. I've been going for at least 10 years and I'm always amazed at the turnout. This is really the way to get support for a small town airport. Three city council members were cooking. County commissioner was there. A relatively small EAA chapter has done wonders. I know Fort Collins could learn a thing or two from them. The flyin number are fantastic sometimes over 100. But more do drive from town.

Forgot to comment on your observation. I've been going for at least 10 years and I'm always amazed at the turnout. This is really the way to get support for a small town airport. Three city council members were cooking. County commissioner was there. A relatively small EAA chapter has done wonders. I know Fort Collins could learn a thing or two from them. The flyin number are fantastic sometimes over 100. But more do drive from town.
The way this EAA Chapter has put this together and incorporated the community could be a lesson for a LOT of small airports. EAA should really feature them in some way.

I agree that the turnout from the folks of Granby was awesome. In addition to the City Council and County Comissioner, I also saw Randy Baumgardner the State Rep. for that district. It is nice to see a town enjoying thier airport.

The oven's kinda the bomb... Ha. More "high tech" than we expected.

Long story about ordering the wrong size, re-ordering an unknown model of a different brand, and then getting a free upgrade we weren't expecting because this one was someone else's special order that wasn't sized right.

Ended up with a very fancy Electrolux oven for a very low price. Kinda nice when it works that way instead of the other way around.

As you can see, I still have some repair and refinishing work to do on the cabinetry though.

4b94241c-2b7d-81dd.jpg

Dad came over while the oven went in and we worked on QSL cards...

4b94241c-2bcb-d1c0.jpg

Got up in the 182 last night with Doug and Mrs DenverPilot and refreshed the night-currency for another 89 days. ;)

Had some odd voltage regulation problems with the alternator tripping offline. Talked to one of the other co-owners, we think the six year old Concorde 35 is dying finally. Guess we'll replace it before the OSH trip.

And today I had to go do radio work on top of Conifer Mtn...

4b94241c-2ba4-5147.jpg

Busy weekend. Also finished putting together the Mrs' new glider seat on the back porch.

Maybe fly again tomorrow and see how the charging/battery system behaves again with less load (no lights). Kept tripping the so-called "High Voltage" light and kicking the alternator off-line last night. Resetting the ALT side of the split master would fix it for a while. Sometimes. Eventually.

Always showed a "charge" on the ammeter, so it's acting like a cell is dead in the battery.

(Note: The Cessna High Voltage light can come on for a number of reasons. The light is labeled really stupidly, for those not aware. It also comes on when the alternator field circuit goes offline.)

Does look like I missed a beautiful day to go West though! ;)

Back