colon cancer let the jokes go.

I'm sorry man, there is nothing funny about cancer. Colon cancer is not a fun way to die.

True, it always gets you in the end. Sorry that's not funny, neither is cancer.

the drugs they knock you out with are amazing! I can't spell it, but is prophafal (?) same stuff that Michael Jackson used,:nono: it's a very good hours sleep!! :yes:
It is Propofol aka Diprivan.
Anesthesia trained personnel are required when it is being administered. Some insurance companies have attempted to deny coverage for its use and deny reimbursement for anesthesia services in these procedures stating anesthesia is unnecessary for endoscopic procedures. Without anesthesia services the endoscopist will typically have an RN administer a benzodiazepine such as valium along with a narcotic such as Demerol. With that one is conscious throughout the procedure unlike with propofol where one is unconscious throughout the procedure. There have been conflicting studies but some studies have found an increase in polyp count when anesthesia is administered possibly related to an increase in patient relaxation. Regardless of any study findings, I would not have the procedure without propofol or equivalent.

To those that have not been screened, I have had two before age 50.

First, family history was enough to code it properly for insurance affordability (hint, hint). Pre-screen the costs with your provider, and make sure they include the happy drugs.

Second, the prep process protocol improved SIGNIFICANTLY from first to second, almost a non event comparatively.

Just do it. Joking about the procedure is oh so much better than joking about cancer. Cancer SUCKS! I HATE cancer! :mad:

Sorry about your FIL. Your post has done some good. I just turned 50 and my doc wants me to get it done. I've been putting it off for over a month, but this thread has convinced me it's time to schedule the screening.

"Bottom" line: Get a colonoscopy and don't wait until 50 to do it. My wife had colon cancer at 52. And another good friend's wife died from it at about the same age.

Amen to that. i've gotten them every few years since i turned 50. While the preparation for the procedure each time is a pain, it's worth the peace of mind to know if things are ok down there.

This thread is starting to make me feel guilty..... I am hitting 60 next year and have not had ANY kind of check up /test ...( other then the 3rd class medical ) in 30 years......

I guess I need to schedule something one day....:rolleyes:

If you don't have a DR. do it I will come out there and use a bore scope and Shell #6 for lube. No, I'm not kidding. :lol:

Seriously, don't be that guy that waits until you have full blown cancer to burden your family with the drama, expense, and finality of terminal cancer. DONT BE THAT GUY! :no: The procedure is really no big deal. The worst thing is pooping like a goose the night before, which is really not a big deal either. Just don't go flying. :nono: :rofl:

Last edited:
ya git cool pictures of the inside!
They showed them to you?

Could be interesting, but, never mind, I don't like looking at or even reading about my own medical procedures or tests.

As far as the colonoscopy goes it's pretty much a non-event. Prep is a bother but the actual procedure is nothing. You are asleep.

They showed them to you?

Yup, they gotta prove they earned their money. Stories I've heard is they used to give the victim a VHS tape of the procedure. I know that they just give a few stills now-days.

Yup, they gotta prove they earned their money. Stories I've heard is they used to give the victim a VHS tape of the procedure. I know that they just give a few stills now-days.
I never got any pictures... of that anyway.

Did you know that the colon is the second most intelligent organ in the body, only the brain is smarter.

I've yet to drill a dry hole!
You will probably keep that record intact if you start doing colonoscopies. Can't imagine it's dry in there, or maybe it is after the "cleanout" procedure. :rofl:

Sorry to hear about your dad, that really sucks. Keeping a sense of humor is a good thing, but I'm with the others, I can't find anything funny about it. My mom had colon cancer, caught "in time", but she was already 90 and only lived another year after they removed half her colon.

Uh no. I'll be coming up on my next round by a real doctor before too long. And I'll ask for pictures this time!

Mari. You don't want pictures. They don't bother with pictures of a healthy colon. They take pictures of the polyps and other "issues."

I had the wonderful "opportunity" to have a colonoscopy at 17 years old...Really, it wasn't that bad...the prep was the ****s (Pun intended..)..but it really IS important folks...
Ha Ha.... I too had the 'opportunity' to get one at age 20-something. It wasn't the long pipe but just the short one. I remember lying on my side un-drugged and fully conscious watching the Doc do my thing when I asked, "is this standard procedure for an general checkup?". He said, "yes, we do this on all of our patients over age 40". I told him I'm only 20-something and then found out that he was doing a clinical trial of some sort.

I hope he found what he was looking for.

When I had that end to end exam, I was certainly glad that I had a few shots from up the chute to prove that my head wasn't up there, as has been alleged by my spouse from time to time.

Seriously, I had it done for peace of mind despite no family history of such. It was the late Jack Cox of Sport Aviation and EAA (their finest editor/writer EVER) who insisted I get it done, when he confided that at 74 he was at early Stage 4 if I recall correctly and was already getting his life re-ordered based on the diagnosis. We had a long chat that day about many other things but all I could think about then and remember now was his admission to me of his illness...and I think about it more often than I would like.

Get it done, guys. Thanks for raising this awareness SaraCelia.

Ha Ha.... I too had the 'opportunity' to get one at age 20-something. It wasn't the long pipe but just the short one. I remember lying on my side un-drugged and fully conscious watching the Doc do my thing when I asked, "is this standard procedure for an general checkup?". He said, "yes, we do this on all of our patients over age 40". I told him I'm only 20-something and then found out that he was doing a clinical trial of some sort.

I hope he found what he was looking for.

Haha...Unfortunately, I got the full length...as an added bonus, I got one down the throat too...To add insult to injury, after I woke up, the doc told me "Didn't find anything (good news, yes), so we're gonna call this IBS..." For those that don't know, that's fancy doctor talk for "I have no idea what's wrong, and I don't care enough to figure it out." Yes, I'm glad it wasn't cancer, but not exactly the best thing to be told by a health care professional.

Ok...so what is the "prep" that everyone says sucks?

Drinking that gallon of crap. and ****ting every 15 minutes for 6 hours.

No you can't call that "****ting"

Last edited:

You drink some disgusting, oily stuff, then poop until you think you're gonna turn inside out, then you poop some more.

Then you start to really poop.

Then you start peeing weak tea out of your butt.

On a dignity scale of one to ten, it's a negative ninety-one.

At its worst, you dare not range more than five seconds (careful, gentle-walking time) from the potty.

Good news is, you feel really "cleaned-out" when it's all done.

If you don't have a DR. do it I will come out there and use a bore scope and Shell #6 for lube. No, I'm not kidding. :lol:

Seriously, don't be that guy that waits until you have full blown cancer to burden your family with the drama, expense, and finality of terminal cancer. DONT BE THAT GUY! :no: The procedure is really no big deal. The worst thing is pooping like a goose the night before, which is really not a big deal either. Just don't go flying. :nono: :rofl:

A lady at work, her brother is that guy. Sad.

Ummm, it doesn't suck....it blows....literally...until there is nothing left to blow...flushable wipes are your friend....or a bidet

Spike described one protocol (sounds like he was full of **** which fits his profession). There are others but all of them include a fast acting laxative followed by one or two wash cycles. Of course you are fasting for the entire time. My protocol allowed jello and clear fluids until the morning of the procedure. I'm not a jello fan (what's the point?) and vodka is a clear fluid...

You drink some disgusting, oily stuff, then poop until you think you're gonna turn inside out, then you poop some more.

Then you start to really poop.

Then you start peeing weak tea out of your butt.

On a dignity scale of one to ten, it's a negative ninety-one.

At its worst, you dare not range more than five seconds (careful, gentle-walking time) from the potty.

Good news is, you feel really "cleaned-out" when it's all done.
Then when you are so completely done, you get to do a fleet to flush out whatever is left.
Just remember, this is so the doctor can stick a camera up your butt and declare you a perfect ***!
Then there is the day after!

Then when you are so completely done, you get to do a fleet to flush out whatever is left.
Just remember, this is so the doctor can stick a camera up your butt and declare you a perfect ***!
Then there is the day after!

I had mine in the morning, got out of the outpatient about 11am. Told my wife to drive me to Five Guys and re-prime the system!

I had mine in the morning, got out of the outpatient about 11am. Told my wife to drive me to Five Guys and re-prime the system!

I didn't eat for a week afterwards, but I'm unusual.

I think my digestive system went forward in time and ejected stuff I hadn't eaten yet for the prep. I still have a huge thing of Gatorade in the basement, doubt I'll ever drink it.

All that said, if you are over 50 and haven't had it done, get it done. Gatorade is a truly small price to pay for that kind of piece of mind. And do keep in mind that I avoid MDs like the plague (present company excepted of course) and hate taking any kind of drugs. But colon cancer is just a stupid thing to die of.

I went for lunch right afterwards...should have choosen an outdoor seating place since passing gas was a major priority...it's just air from a freshly washed gut but I still hesitated to let'r rip.

I went for lunch right afterwards...should have choosen an outdoor seating place since passing gas was a major priority...it's just air from a freshly washed gut but I still hesitated to let'r rip.

I tell my patients: I give you the gas, give it back. We recycle here. I work at a green hospital, although this department it is tinged slightly with brown.

I give out "Perfect ****ole" Certificates, too. One guy wanted it on a hat. I tell patients that no matter what someone else has told them, I am the only one in town who can certify their Perfect status.

Barb

OK so my father in law diagnosed with colon cancer that progressed to his lymph nodes. He's on chemo to help reduce but that's all it. can the cancer is evidentially progressive one. Anyway I don't have many outlets for this so I turn to you gals and guys. I need jokes relating to it. As benign as "it sure is a pain in the ass" to whatever. I have a thick skin so think them up and type it out. I know Ben, sacarrow won't let me down.

Sorry to hear about your father in law - kind of hard to joke about cancer. I went through prostate cancer 4 1/2 years ago, flew on a special issuance medical for the first 4 years and was finally released from the special issuance this year. For those who don't follow the regulations, a .75 increase in PSA in one year grounds you (in the regs. )

One of the bad parts of the "prep" is the difficulty in keeping down that horrible stuff you have to drink. I probably puke more of it than I pass. (it's not the taste that's bad - it's the consistency of it.)

One of the bad parts of the "prep" is the difficulty in keeping down that horrible stuff you have to drink. I probably puke more of it than I pass. (it's not the taste that's bad - it's the consistency of it.)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh, it's like drinking soapy spit. I've never thrown it up, but only out of fear of having to do it again.

But it's also the taste. The default is the lemon-line flavor. About two weeks after one of my procedures, I went to the shooting range, and grabbed a lemon-lime Gatorade in the pro shop. It was hot, so I started to gulp it down, only to be reminded by my taste buds "Uh, no, not today."

Thanks for prayers and whatnot. I function better with jokes I know some of you don't think this is a good post... But if it brings awareness to your health then I did good. Colonrectal surgeons song post sins so far.

Cope the way you need to cope. I lost my mother at 50 to colon cancer. I've been having colonoscopies done every five years since I was 42. I'm determined nothing's going to sneak up on me.

Cope the way you need to cope. I lost my mother at 50 to colon cancer. I've been having colonoscopies done every five years since I was 42. I'm determined nothing's going to sneak up on me.

at least not from behind...

Back