College student obtaining private license, questions

im1knight

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
im1knight
Hello everyone!

I'm currently a college student studying engineering, with my home in Houston, TX. I'm thinking to obtain a private license, it's one of those things on my "to do" list, and I think I might as well get it done. But I do have a few questions in mind:

1. What is a good school in Houston to do flight training at? (Considering aircraft age, maintenance, instructor quality, etc.) South Houston preferred.

2. I plan to do it over my summer vacation, from mid May-Aug. I will be working an internship M-F, which pays for the lessons as well, so I think my flying time is restricted to the weekends. Is it possible at all to obtain my license within a roughly 3-4 month period flying only on the weekends? (only prior experience is from ~6 years of semi hardcore FSX flying...)

3. School work is extremely busy during the school years, I don't think I will have the time to fly that often. Maybe once every 1-2 months? Are risks of getting rusty pretty high? Is flying kinda like riding a bike/driving a car where once you know it, you don't really ever forget? Or I'm I completely wrong...Any issues with getting the license, then putting it off for awhile, then start flying again when I have the time again? My understanding is the license never expire, and if it's been too long, just get an instructor onboard and practice a few hrs, then pass the biannual check?

4. Type of aircraft to train on? I've looked at two training centers in my area, one is "anson air" and the other is "solo flight training", and I can see i can select between C172, C150, Da40, or Beechcraft skipper... And should I pay a bit more to learn in the G1000 version vs. the analog ones? I know the 6-packs are generally recommended for a new pilot, perhaps I'm just in a different generation at 21 yrs old, but digital information just feels way more natural to me...takes much less time to digest the information, and learning curve for me on electronics are next to none. Or should I really do 6-pack as most plane rental places still use the old 6pack equipped aircraft, so its more convenient? I assume there is no "type rating" involved with whether you can only fly analog or glass depending on the type you trained on?

5. Rental insurance? I know to rent an aircraft you must carry insurance. Is aircraft rental insurance available on case by case basis? Like those collision waivers that car rental places give you? Or must you purchase a yearly plan? If so, what's the premium? I'm afraid it might be rather high for a student pilot, and I'm not sure if it's the same as car insurance where it's connected to the age. Esp. if I don't get to fly much during the school years.

6. Generally speaking, what is the average cost per year to stay "current"? Insurance, rental, fuel, etc...

7. When a flight school provide a quote online, is it normally tax included? Or is tax not collected, since its a tuition type of thing?

8. Other general advises for a newbie?

Sorry, I realize it's a lot of questions, and I really do appreciate helpful answers!

Thank you for the time!!:)

Summers have long days. Maybe you could do some evenings in addition to weekends. I had a student that could only do Saturday's, so we did two lesson each Saturday morning with a short ground school break between. It took him six months to complete his license on that dedicated schedule (allowing for 2-3 missed weekends due to weather or conflicts.)

Good luck!

Summers have long days. Maybe you could do some evenings in addition to weekends. I had a student that could only do Saturday's, so we did two lesson each Saturday morning with a short ground school break between. It took him six months to complete his license on that dedicated schedule (allowing for 2-3 missed weekends due to weather or conflicts.)

Good luck!

Wow...6 months...that sure is longer than I expected.
My problem is I don't go to school in Houston, I attend Texas A&M in College Station, which is about 100 miles away. So it's not very practical for me to travel back to Houston to continue the lesson once school starts...
what usually dedicates the amount of time a student takes to obtain their license? And how many hours a week (over the weekend) is the maximum practical training time one can expect?

Welcome!

1- I'm in St. Louis, so I'll move on...

2- Yup, that is realistic, especially with that good TX training weather.

3- Your understanding is correct. Yeah, it is pretty easy to get right back in after a short break. Every month or two you could just hop in and do couple hours solo, but I'd suggest bringing an instructor along.

4- I cannot comment on the Skipper... IMO, the DA40 is overkill for initial training. I'd suggest going analog to start out. In general, I've seen people have a fairly easy time transitioning from analog to digital, and a more difficult time going from digital to analog. And while there is no type rating requirement for analog vs. digital (type ratings are not required until the aircraft is over 12,500lbs), most rental places will have their own requirement to have specific training and a checkout to fly the other panel.

5- No, rental insurance is not required to rent an aircraft. Some places have a "case-by-case" option, and you may also get a standard yearly plan. (My flight school had an optional $3 per hour charge for the insurance waiver.) Yup, the fewer hours and experience you have, the more it will cost. But it's still not that bad; Take a look at Avemco to get an idea.

6- Current? There are different definitions of that. At the least, you'd only need to fly once every 2 years with an instructor. To carry passengers, 3 landings every 90 day. But rather think of it in term of proficiency to remain safe. Everybody is different in their opinion of this, so it's kinda hard to say. For a very general guess, I'd say a couple hours a month would be a good baseline for maintaining day VFR proficiency.

7- Every place does it differently... At the flight school in which I worked, the tax was not included in the listed price. There was no tax for training, but there was tax for a rental.

8- Have fun! Aviation is extremely rewarding.

Last edited:
There are two flight schools at Easterwood. BVFS and TExas A&M flight club. Look at Ellington Flying Tigers or Houston Southwest for airports in Houston. Buy the Sportys or King ground school and start getting that part done.

There are two flight schools at Easterwood. BVFS and TExas A&M flight club. Look at Ellington Flying Tigers or Houston Southwest for airports in Houston. Buy the Sportys or King ground school and start getting that part done.

The Sportys or King ground school is a good idea. You will be ahead of the game by doing that.

The Sportys or King ground school is a good idea. You will be ahead of the game by doing that.

Yup, King is a good program, you can also find most of their videos for free on youtube or their whole collection on some torrent sites.

Use Dauntless written test prep, just take the test over and over, be sure to select the option to show the correct answer right after you answer the question, once you average 80% you're ready for the written.

The written isn't like your final practical test with the examiner, where you show your knowledge, the written is just something to get done.

I don't care much about the school, find the best instructor you can (ask around), and see if he will freelance with you if he can, have him pick the cheapest well maintained aircraft out there, he'll know much more than you when it comes to that.

Also keep in mind aircraft aren't like the poorly maintained cars you see driving down the road.

New with pretty paint does NOT mean it's safer than a older plane with faded paint and a few rips in the pilot seat.
You're not looking to buy the thing, you're just looking for the most efficient tool to get your license knocked out in.

When I was working on my PPL I used a 7AC Champ, she was made in 1946, and was down for maintenance less than any of the schools 172s, also a MUCH better plane to build a solid pilot foundation in.

Long and short finding a good CFI, who is also a experienced pilot outside of CFIing as well, is key. Your problem is it'll be hard for you to tell who is experienced and who is isn't.

Here is a ruff way to figure experience,

First make sure you get along with him, you're going to be in a small space together for a while :yes:

You'll want someone who holds a ATP pilots license (minumum 1500hrs to get one) and is a Gold Seal instructor.

The ATP will HELP with a few things, one you know he's got some hours, two he probably didn't earn his ATP just CFIing, also chances are he isn't just some hour builder who may leave midway through your training.

The gold seal (little gold logo on the top right of his CFI cert) lets you know he's at least more than a part time hobby CFI, or at least at some point he trained quite a few folks and had a 80%+ pass rate. CFIs who get their ground instructor and fill out the applications and show up to the FAA for their gold seal also tend to be a little more into CFIing IMO.

You'll also find many non-ATP and non-Gold Seal folks on this board get a little ****y about the above recommendation. :dunno:

Interview the CFIs, this will be the largest factor in your training, this will dictate how much money you will likely spend and how long it will likely take you, be sure your schedule matches your CFIs and you can fly AT LEAST twice a week.

Blue skies.

Last edited:
Wow...6 months...that sure is longer than I expected.
My problem is I don't go to school in Houston, I attend Texas A&M in College Station, which is about 100 miles away. So it's not very practical for me to travel back to Houston to continue the lesson once school starts...
what usually dedicates the amount of time a student takes to obtain their license? And how many hours a week (over the weekend) is the maximum practical training time one can expect?

You can do the math. Most summer breaks are three months or about 12 weeks. You need a minimum of 40 hours, but most end up closer to 50 or more. Your hours do come more quickly later in training as you get into cross country training.

If you used my scenario for Sat & Sun flying you should be able to accomplish your goal.

It should be possible to go from zero to ppl in that time frame. I was close to that when I got mine in AZ.

As the others have said a good instructor is key and make sure whatever you fly they have enough planes you don't have issues with scheduling.
To get your ppl in that time frame safely you will want to fly as often as you can affordo to. Do 2 lessons on each weekend day if that's all you can do.

Good luck

Download the free FAA books now-weather, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK), and the PTS, which my change by the end of the summer but at least it's a place to start.

Go join the Aggie flying club right now! You'll meet many good sources for more info. Those from Houston will have suggestions for CFI and schools in Houston. Plus you'll make friends so when you come back at the end of the summer, you'll be ready to share flying costs! Don't laugh, you'll get more flying time. Game at TCU or SMU? No sweat, 2 buddies up to Dallas is lots cheaper and more fun than driving I35. And you'll be home in time to study.

Find a school on the west side of town, as a beginner, there's less traffic and more flight time.

As for James331 suggestion, no CFI affiliated with a school is going to jeopardize the relationship by freelancing with the school airplanes.

As a student pilot and student in general, stick with the boring, analog, low end airplane. It will cost less. Do not be misled - flying is expensive even with an internship.

Besides, you'll meet some of the Texas POA folks up there.

Ag 'em, Giggies,

I'm currently a college student studying engineering, with my home in Houston, TX. I'm thinking to obtain a private license, it's one of those things on my "to do" list, and I think I might as well get it done.
Say no more. Don't "do it". It sounds like flying is just a line item on your resume to you. If it isn't something you relish enough to commit continuous amounts of time and money to, I say wait until it is. YMMV.

dtuuri

You might want to download this free 80-page ebook. It'll answer just about any question you could have. No email address required, just click and download at www.FreeFlyBook.com.

Wow thanks for the advises everyone!
I will definitely check out the aggie flying club when this testing week is over, think they changed the name now, but w/e.
Just still a little confused, so for CFI, is it recommended for me to look for a freelance one? Or go to a school and meet one..?

Looking to spend $11k max to get the license...of course less the better. Realistically speaking, does $8-9k sounds like a reasonable range? Everywhere quote their prices differently, some does it based on 50 hrs, some 40 hrs..it's a bit confusing.

If I don't finish in time during the summer, is it possible to carry the lessons over to college station based school to finish it off..? Or do schools generally don't allow you jumping around?

Say no more. Don't "do it". It sounds like flying is just a line item on your resume to you. If it isn't something you relish enough to commit continuous amounts of time and money to, I say wait until it is. YMMV.

dtuuri

Ah..well my resume is good enough as it is, I'm sure my employers care more about all of my past internship experience more than If I knew how to fly. Had 14 interviews this year, nobody gave a jack about extracurricular activities, in fact I don't even put it on my resume anymore. It's not like back in the high school days where you gotta "club this, officer that"..

I guess when I say its on my "to do" list, it's just something I always wanted to get done, but never had the money and time. Now with a couple of internships already completed, I have the cash, just not as much time as I would like. But its not like I will magically get more time once I graduate and start full time employment, I'm gonna have to wait till I'm in my 50 or 60s before I satisfy both the money and time requirement as much as I want lol. So might as well start now, and that's my mentality atm.

You might want to download this free 80-page ebook. It'll answer just about any question you could have. No email address required, just click and download at www.FreeFlyBook.com.

And downloaded. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the advises everyone!
I will definitely check out the aggie flying club when this testing week is over, think they changed the name now, but w/e.
Just still a little confused, so for CFI, is it recommended for me to look for a freelance one? Or go to a school and meet one..?
Find a CFI that you are willing to spend hours sitting with in a small cubby hole. The flying club members will have suggestions on CFIs. Be aware, if you use a freelancer, they probably own the airplane. Pros & Cons to both situations.

Texas Flying Club has a general meeting this coming Thursday evening. Go.

http://www.texasflyingclub.com/
Looking to spend $11k max to get the license...of course less the better. Realistically speaking, does $8-9k sounds like a reasonable range? Everywhere quote their prices differently, some does it based on 50 hrs, some 40 hrs..it's a bit confusing.
Definitely reasonable. Hours are entirely based on your progress thru the required steps. Some people take fewer hours, some more. It's not a race, it's not a competition.
If I don't finish in time during the summer, is it possible to carry the lessons over to college station based school to finish it off..? Or do schools generally don't allow you jumping around?
I haven't heard of a school that won't allow this. People move, schools close, things happen.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people here are not fans...but you could also consider an accelerated two week all in program like Tailwheels.

http://www.tailwheelsetc.com/

If you go with anything other than a few hours a week regiment which is what most people and CFI's do, make sure that you have an instructor that has done a more accelerated program and schedule and has experience teaching in the time frame you want.

Have you taken a discovery flight to see if this is something you want to pursue? If you are sure you want to do it, get your medical ASAP. You don't want to spend a couple thousand dollars into your training to find out you can't get a medical. Also, try and get all the money saved up beforehand. Budget around 8-$11K. Try to fly at least twice a week. If you are taking large breaks in between your training it's going to hurt you in the long run and you'll end up spending more.

Hello everyone!

I'm currently a college student studying engineering, with my home in Houston, TX. I'm thinking to obtain a private license, it's one of those things on my "to do" list, and I think I might as well get it done. But I do have a few questions in mind:

1. What is a good school in Houston to do flight training at? (Considering aircraft age, maintenance, instructor quality, etc.) South Houston preferred.

2. I plan to do it over my summer vacation, from mid May-Aug. I will be working an internship M-F, which pays for the lessons as well, so I think my flying time is restricted to the weekends. Is it possible at all to obtain my license within a roughly 3-4 month period flying only on the weekends? (only prior experience is from ~6 years of semi hardcore FSX flying...)

3. School work is extremely busy during the school years, I don't think I will have the time to fly that often. Maybe once every 1-2 months? Are risks of getting rusty pretty high? Is flying kinda like riding a bike/driving a car where once you know it, you don't really ever forget? Or I'm I completely wrong...Any issues with getting the license, then putting it off for awhile, then start flying again when I have the time again? My understanding is the license never expire, and if it's been too long, just get an instructor onboard and practice a few hrs, then pass the biannual check?

4. Type of aircraft to train on? I've looked at two training centers in my area, one is "anson air" and the other is "solo flight training", and I can see i can select between C172, C150, Da40, or Beechcraft skipper... And should I pay a bit more to learn in the G1000 version vs. the analog ones? I know the 6-packs are generally recommended for a new pilot, perhaps I'm just in a different generation at 21 yrs old, but digital information just feels way more natural to me...takes much less time to digest the information, and learning curve for me on electronics are next to none. Or should I really do 6-pack as most plane rental places still use the old 6pack equipped aircraft, so its more convenient? I assume there is no "type rating" involved with whether you can only fly analog or glass depending on the type you trained on?

5. Rental insurance? I know to rent an aircraft you must carry insurance. Is aircraft rental insurance available on case by case basis? Like those collision waivers that car rental places give you? Or must you purchase a yearly plan? If so, what's the premium? I'm afraid it might be rather high for a student pilot, and I'm not sure if it's the same as car insurance where it's connected to the age. Esp. if I don't get to fly much during the school years.

6. Generally speaking, what is the average cost per year to stay "current"? Insurance, rental, fuel, etc...

7. When a flight school provide a quote online, is it normally tax included? Or is tax not collected, since its a tuition type of thing?

8. Other general advises for a newbie?

Sorry, I realize it's a lot of questions, and I really do appreciate helpful answers!

Thank you for the time!!:)

The question remains:

What are you going to do with your PPL once you get it?

The question remains:

What are you going to do with your PPL once you get it?

giphy.gif

Pick up chicks....duhh!

Last edited:
I did my PP-ASEL in about 8 weeks over the summer when I was working an internship and living at home. I lived about 45 minutes away from the airport, and I would go straight from to the airport after work 2-3 days per week and then at least one day on the weekend. Once I got to solo (~10 hours in), it was a lot easier to get hours built up because I didn't have to worry about schedule conflicts with the CFI.

So yes, it is definitely possible if it is your priority.

Wow... Looking back, that was almost 15 years ago!!

My PPL training was spread out a bit during my college days...at Easterwood, then Hooks, then Easterwood again, then Mueller in Austin (anyone remember that airfield?), then at Addison where I finally got my PPL. Then, after going through all that I got busy with a job, a family, etc. and didn't fly for 20 years. :eek:

So after two decades I went out to the local field and found an instructor. We did a few basic maneuvers, 4 or 5 touch and goes and an hour of ground. He gave his blessing and signed my BFR. It might not be quite like riding a bike, but it was a lot easier than I ever expected!

Possible, but not certain. But as suggested above, flying one evening a week plus one or two on the weekend would be a better plan.

3. School work is extremely busy during the school years, I don't think I will have the time to fly that often. Maybe once every 1-2 months? Are risks of getting rusty pretty high?
Yes, especially at the level of experience you will take back to school this fall.

Is flying kinda like riding a bike/driving a car where once you know it, you don't really ever forget?
Once you do it enough, yes. But 3 months of 1-2 hops a week won't get you to that level.

My understanding is the license never expire, and if it's been too long, just get an instructor onboard and practice a few hrs, then pass the biannual check?
That's more or less true, but the amount of experience you had before the hiatus and the length of the break have large effects on how long it will take to get back up to speed.

4. Type of aircraft to train on? I've looked at two training centers in my area, one is "anson air" and the other is "solo flight training", and I can see i can select between C172, C150, Da40, or Beechcraft skipper...[/QUOTE]Buy an introductory ride in each and see what you think. But the quality of the instructor and instructor/student fit are more important than the make/model of airplane.

And should I pay a bit more to learn in the G1000 version vs. the analog ones?
You should train in what you think you'll be flying after you train. If you don't know what that will be, then don't worry about it, and train in the plane you like best with the instructor with whom you best fit.

5. Rental insurance? I know to rent an aircraft you must carry insurance.
That's not an FAA legal requirement, but some flight schools do require renters to have their own insurance in addition to the coverage the school has. It may also be a very good idea for your own financial protection. However, there's no need to purchase any such insurance until you start flying without an instructor.

Is aircraft rental insurance available on case by case basis? Like those collision waivers that car rental places give you? Or must you purchase a yearly plan?
I've never seen anything except an individual annual policy, but I can't say it doesn't exist.

If so, what's the premium?
Depends on what coverage you get. See here to learn more about such insurance.

It's my observation after 42 years as a flight instructor that it takes a minimum of about 50 hours a year to maintain Private Pilot proficiency. Adding it all up, you're probably talking on the order of $5-10K per year for that.

7. When a flight school provide a quote online, is it normally tax included?
Generally no -- sales tax is extra.

Good luck.

If you have all the money up front figure out which flight school you want to use. I would go with the 150, 172 or Skipper if they all just have the basic instruments. Don't get all enamored with glass there is time for that later. Arrange to fly 3-4 times a week and try to get 1.5 hours flying time on each lesson. If you do that you won't lose any of the things you learned on the previous lesson and you will learn much faster and spend a lot less money. Get the written done before you start your training if you can. As I said arrange this all ahead of time with the flight school and you can probably knock it out in 6-8 weeks max. Try to find a good aggressive instructor if you can not a nooby. I did mine in 6 weeks. We had one guy get everything set up ahead of time and did his private in 12 days. Takes a special type of instructor and student to do that but it can be done. Good luck and don't be discouraged by the naysayers. Don

Check out the flying club at Easterwood. I wish I had done that when I was there. I remember it being something like $50/hr wet for the planes and the instructors were $15-20/hr. I still kick myself for passing that up. Even if you get your PPL in Houston, you'll need something to fly when you're back in the Promised Land.

I can't find the old Flying Aggies club on the university website, so it may not be a recognized student organization anymore. I bet you could start it back up if you wanted to. Something else to add to your resume along with that internship.

I'll second the good instructor comment - takes someone that's willing to fly with you a bunch so you can stay on track. My CFI wasn't big on planning more than a week in advance and would flake out at the last minute sometimes. It makes it hard to keep flying as often as you want with a guy like that, and no doubt made that made it more expensive for me.

No need to learn in glass. Find the cheapest 150/152 you can and fly the wings off. It will make you a better pilot and it won't cost as much as a 172.

Check out the flying club at Easterwood. I wish I had done that when I was there. I remember it being something like $50/hr wet for the planes and the instructors were $15-20/hr. I still kick myself for passing that up. Even if you get your PPL in Houston, you'll need something to fly when you're back in the Promised Land.

I can't find the old Flying Aggies club on the university website, so it may not be a recognized student organization anymore. I bet you could start it back up if you wanted to. Something else to add to your resume along with that internship.

I'll second the good instructor comment - takes someone that's willing to fly with you a bunch so you can stay on track. My CFI wasn't big on planning more than a week in advance and would flake out at the last minute sometimes. It makes it hard to keep flying as often as you want with a guy like that, and no doubt made that made it more expensive for me.

No need to learn in glass. Find the cheapest 150/152 you can and fly the wings off. It will make you a better pilot and it won't cost as much as a 172.

I checked it, and the prices appears to be in the range of $95/hr for a 162 and 40/hr for an instructor now...

TBH i didn't consider the fact that although I can plan to train every weekend, doesn't mean the school will have availability every weekend...I would definitely hate to stop the process midway, hm...might have to rethink this.

Some said flying at evening, but it's my understanding that most schools close at night at 5-6pm? So how is it possible to get evening flying times if schools arent 24/7..?

I checked it, and the prices appears to be in the range of $95/hr for a 162 and 40/hr for an instructor now...

TBH i didn't consider the fact that although I can plan to train every weekend, doesn't mean the school will have availability every weekend...I would definitely hate to stop the process midway, hm...might have to rethink this.

Some said flying at evening, but it's my understanding that most schools close at night at 5-6pm? So how is it possible to get evening flying times if schools arent 24/7..?

Depends on the school and the CFI.

If you are flying after hours they usually leave the keys somewhere for you.

Most schools' offices are only open during business hours, but most CFIs are available out-of-hours as well. So once you've figured out how your school's scheduling works, evenings should definitely be possible. But, like weekends, they'll be busy, as lots of people learning to fly have day jobs.

I would second the recommendation of (also) getting connected to a CFI or flight school where you're going to school. Your ideal situation, I think, would be to train extensively over the summer to get your PPL, and then use a flight school at college to rent a plane for occasional fun trips and little spins with their CFIs to keep current.

As much as people (rightly) say that if you do your PPL training rapidly and then completely stop flying it will take a bit of effort to knock the rust off, you could mitigate that problem immensely by doing your PPL training rapidly and then flying just an hour a month with a CFI afterwards. And most CFIs I know quite like little brush-up flights with qualified pilots. It gives them time to teach their favorite tricks and tips without worrying about whether they've hit every point on the PTS (practical test standards, the list of things you have to do to pass the flight portion of the test).

Plus, it'll be a lot of fun to take friends flying while you're in school. Go to an away football game, take a date out for a flight, etc. Just be super-extra-careful to be especially by-the-book when you're doing new things. Make sure you're comfortable both flying at night and flying with passengers before you decide to take a date for a sunset flight around campus (which are awesome, by the way). Make sure you limit your friends' drinking and plan a night of good sleep after the football game before you fly home the next day (do you really want your passengers feeling sick on final approach)? Anything you would be careful about in a car, be doubly careful about in a plane.

Lots of good advice up there, and some bad advice.

You might go talk to a couple of CFI's at an airport up CS, see what they suggest. Then go talk to a few in Houston area and get their advice.

Match the advice from the CFI's you talk to with what you read up above. Parts will click for you and seem like a good approach, other parts won't.

As for advice that hasn't been given, here is my 2 Cents worth.

When you "hire" a CFI, it will be just like all the other "professionals" you hire in life. Just like the Attorney, DR, the Architect, the Counselor, etc....

You are HIRING them, they work for you. It is your obligation to manage them. If, at any time you are not happy with what they are doing, you need to stop them and work thru the issue. If it can't be resolved, you fire them and hire the next guy. There is nothing worse than going to a party / dinner and listening to someone complain about their own Attorney / Builder / Architect / etc....

Have them make you proposals to get your training done on your schedule, according to your constraints. Same may choose to pass, others may be excited to have someone fast-tracking it. They are all different.

Back