Collages as news stories- is this the new idiocracy movement?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I have noticed a lot of “news stories” now are nothing more than a few pictures, some words artfully plastered on the screen with some sort of kumbaya music in the background. Like 4-6 PowerPoint slides where there is no talking, the story is told in single sentences and still photos portray whatever it is the sentence conveys.

Is this what media is now? President Camacho would be proud at the idiocracy displayed by the dumbing down of humanity. I’m just Not Sure I guess.....

Per college studies, worth a watch.

Just because some random thing on the web claims to be a news story (or news site, or news source) does not mean that it actually is. Any idiot can post whatever they please on line, and most idiots do.

And so many online news stories are just a compilation of tweets by various idiots. The state of journalism is sad.

That method of "reporting" is beyond annoying. What significance does the opinion of three anonymous nobodies hold?

Journalism in America is swirling down the drain. Almost all of today's "journalists" are either partisan propagandists or incompetents (or occasionally both). Impartial, thorough journalists who actually know how to research, investigate, and fact-check are mainly old-school reporters who are dying or retiring.

I have a former client who's a Pulitzer Prize winner, and she grieves over what's happened to her profession. It's downright depressing.

Rich

Last edited:
Stop listening - frees up a lot of tine, while the actual facts shake out over a couple of days. TV news is good for weather, school closings, and lost puppy stories. Print is good for much less, except "feature" stories. Talk about Russia trying to exert influence - look at the front page of any US daily. . .

My single biggest pet peeve is the use of random tweets getting passed off as actual news and as qvalid source, or way to corroborate a story and make it seem factual. The writer can pretty much write whatever they want and pick some tweet from somewhere to make it seem legitimate.. sucks

I think it has to do with the average person's reading comprehension and attention span.
Maybe it's all driven by $$ - they are going to feed us that which somehow brings in the most cash.

That method of "reporting" is beyond annoying. What significance does the opinion of three anonymous nobodies hold?
Or even three famous people? Since when are "celebrities" any smarter or better informed than a can of soup?

Journalism in America is swirling down the drain. Almost all of today's "journalists" are either partisan propagandists or incompetents (or occasionally both).
I'd say usually both.

Over the years I have gradually reduced my news bookmarks to...none!
My last one was Reuters. Does the Associated Press have a site?

James

Did you just get it? Seems nobody else has.......

Last edited:
I have noticed a lot of “news stories” now are nothing more than a few pictures, some words artfully plastered on the screen with some sort of kumbaya music in the background. Like 4-6 PowerPoint slides where there is no talking, the story is told in single sentences and still photos portray whatever it is the sentence conveys.

Is this what media is now?

Everything is click bait.

There have been a few cases where I was trying to find out details on legislation currently under debate in Congress. I needed to know the details of what was going on so I could decide whether I wanted to support it or not. Couldn’t find any actual information from any news source. Just pages of opinion or analysis from some entities I’d never heard of as to whether it was bad or good.

Of course whether it was good or bad depended on whether it was a left leaning news source or a right leaning one. No actual useful information about what the legislation specifically was going to do, just brain dead political cheerleading.

And don’t even get me going on traditional TV news, what they’re spitting out seems to be targeted at the intellectual level of your average 4th grader.

There have been a few cases where I was trying to find out details on legislation currently under debate in Congress. I needed to know the details of what was going on so I could decide whether I wanted to support it or not. Couldn’t find any actual information from any news source. Just pages of opinion or analysis from some entities I’d never heard of as to whether it was bad or good.

Of course whether it was good or bad depended on whether it was a left leaning news source or a right leaning one. No actual useful information about what the legislation specifically was going to do, just brain dead political cheerleading.

And don’t even get me going on traditional TV news, what they’re spitting out seems to be targeted at the intellectual level of your average 4th grader.

That’s because they have to pass the bill before you can see what’s in it. It’s how Congress works and isn’t necessarily the fault of media. Whereas regulations typically are posted in the federal register as NPRMs, the bills that become laws are seldom seen by anyone besides those in congress and their staffers until after they become law. Hell, most of the bills aren’t even read in full by those voting on them. It’s a messed up system.

That’s because they have to pass the bill before you can see what’s in it. It’s how Congress works and isn’t necessarily the fault of media. Whereas regulations typically are posted in the federal register as NPRMs, the bills that become laws are seldom seen by anyone besides those in congress and their staffers until after they become law. Hell, most of the bills aren’t even read in full by those voting on them. It’s a messed up system.
To be fair, I suspect at least half the people voting on said bills are unable to read them and 3/4 are unable to comprehend them if the bills are read to them.

This thread has nothing to do with politics. It’s about the systematic dumbing down of America via the media. Are you guys trying to get it locked?

Back