Coddled college kids

I actually had a student (newly commissioned Ensign) this year who did not have a drivers license.

She had never driven a car and my job was to teach her how to drive a 500’ 8000 ton ship…..
I had a guy on my last boat that finally got his driver's license at the ripe old age of 29.

The generation that is entering and about to enter college (or go off on another path) in the next few years are, on the whole, considerably more aware of the world we live in than the kids entering college 30+ years ago. They have a lot of information at their fingertips, and most of them know how to sort the BS from reality.

Oh really?
https://bre.is/zCzJ88su

My college campus had a dog that roamed the campus and had the power to get you out of tests.

When I was at GT there were several dogs on campus. One was a very friendly golden retriever. At my graduation, he got into the line with us and marched in during the processional. About halfway down the aisle, he stretched and laid down on the floor, so the remainder of the line just swung in an arc around him.

Well, apparently there is "no accounting" for taste! I'll see myself out.

Fair enough. It wouldn't be my first choice, either.

Well, the fact that you owned an Eclipse and then later bought another Mitsubishi automotive product may call into question the effectiveness of your post-secondary education, lol.

Remember the Laser? That was the first of a long line of horrible DSM cars that looked cool and performed well, until they didn't. I really wanted one, but convinced myself to sticking with German cars and Mercury (not Ford) products.

Fair enough. It wouldn't be my first choice, either.

Remember the Laser? That was the first of a long line of horrible DSM cars that looked cool and performed well, until they didn't. I really wanted one, but convinced myself to sticking with German cars and Mercury (not Ford) products.
The Eclipse/Talons were neat little cars and pretty sports with the turbos. They just didn't seem to last very long before they were pouring out blue smoke from the tailpipes. The 3000GT/Stealth suffered from some of those same tendencies as they got some miles put on them.

I always heard the Galant was a fairly good sedan though.

The Eclipse/Talons were neat little cars and pretty sports with the turbos. They just didn't seem to last very long before they were pouring out blue smoke from the tailpipes. The 3000GT/Stealth suffered from some of those same tendencies as they got some miles put on them.

I always heard the Galant was a fairly good sedan though.

One of the problems was people turning up the boost - a lot - with an otherwise stock engine. But the blue smoke wasn’t always rings or turbos. On my 3000GT VR4 it was always the PCV valve failing.

I sold that car with something around 160-170k on it. I did a ton of work to it and still consider it one of the worse cars I’ve owned as far as reliability goes, but the long block was essentially original and it never saw a tow truck under my ownership. I say essentially because I had to roll new main bearings in (and I think I did the rods while in there but can’t remember now). Also did the oil pump on it but on that car that’s not much different effort wise than the water pump (which I did at the same time, and the timing belt). But the bottom end remained solid. Not bad for a car I’d turned up to around 450 HP out of a 3.0L V6. My wife’s Alfa, 30 years newer, gets 505 HP out of its 2.9L V6, and it’s not as satisfying of an overall power delivery as the VR4 had (but sounds way better).

The 3000GT/Stealth suffered from some of those same tendencies as they got some miles put on them.

LOL. We pulled out of the neighborhood one day and were very quickly passed by an older guy in a 3000GT going way too fast for the stretch of road. Pulled up behind him at a light a quarter mile up the street and when the light turned, he put the hammer down and scorched away from the light. Caught up to him again in another mile or so where he was pulled over into a parking lot with a ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust...

I could get the same results setting up that interview in a random restaurant anywhere in the country. Not to mention the easy opportunities for selective editing on a video like this.
Perhaps, But He offered more than you did to support his position.

Don’t confuse knowledge for wisdom.

Last edited:
Perhaps, But He offered more than you did to support his position.
Don’t confuse knowledge for wisdom.
Actually, that might prove his point. There's no way to know whether that video was representative on anything except that some people are ignorant. The kids today have been exposed to youtube and whatnot for far longer than most people on this board, and probably pick out BS better than we do.

Actually, that might prove his point. There's no way to know whether that video was representative on anything except that some people are ignorant. The kids today have been exposed to youtube and whatnot for far longer than most people on this board, and probably pick out BS better than we do.
Perhaps, but what happens if YouTube and what is all BS? Without solid values, How would they know the difference?

One of the problems was people turning up the boost - a lot - with an otherwise stock engine. But the blue smoke wasn’t always rings or turbos. On my 3000GT VR4 it was always the PCV valve failing.

I sold that car with something around 160-170k on it. I did a ton of work to it and still consider it one of the worse cars I’ve owned as far as reliability goes, but the long block was essentially original and it never saw a tow truck under my ownership. I say essentially because I had to roll new main bearings in (and I think I did the rods while in there but can’t remember now). Also did the oil pump on it but on that car that’s not much different effort wise than the water pump (which I did at the same time, and the timing belt). But the bottom end remained solid. Not bad for a car I’d turned up to around 450 HP out of a 3.0L V6. My wife’s Alfa, 30 years newer, gets 505 HP out of its 2.9L V6, and it’s not as satisfying of an overall power delivery as the VR4 had (but sounds way better).
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but my father and I have owned a few Z cars over the years. He had a 95 300ZX TT that was a blast to run around in. I had it for several months at college while he borrowed my truck for a bit. 400HP at the crank with nothing but a tune, intake, and exhaust. That 3.0L vg30dett engine was about as reliable as it gets, although not as potent as the Supra in-line 6 when it came to holding absurd boost. That car ran like a sewing machine and would spank my roommates' 90 LT1 Corvette whether it was straight line or in the curves. Only downside to most of those 90s rice rockets (and the corvette) was that they had gotten pretty porky in the weight category as grand tourers.

"Our youth love luxury. They have bad manners and despise authority. They show disrespect for their elders and love to chatter instead of exercise. Young people are now tyrants, not the servants of their household. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up food and terrorize their teachers."

If it were up to me, kids would wear uniforms to school.

And........... I'd bring back the draft. Two years of military or public service.
The draft still exists, we just have no need to use it. School uniforms? What the heck for? Sounds like grooming some kids for a life of authoritarian governments . . .

If it were up to me, kids would wear uniforms to school.

And........... I'd bring back the draft. Two years of military or public service.
Two years of mandatory public service. Military, park service, inner city, etc. If you chose not to, fine. Then no citizen benefits, mortgage subsidies, SS, etc.Citizens should have skin in the game and not just be consumers of liberty earned by others.
I read a proposal for something very similar authored by General McCrystal.

Two years of mandatory public service. Military, park service, inner city, etc. If you chose not to, fine. Then no citizen benefits, mortgage subsidies, SS, etc.Citizens should have skin in the game and not just be consumers of liberty earned by others.
So you’re saying that being “good” in an approved manner for two years should allow people to say “**** ‘em” for the rest of their lives? Not pay taxes to support the military, parks, inner cities, etc.? No more volunteer work or charitable contributions later in life?

Sounds like a good way to create entitled masses that don’t give a **** about anyone but themselves.

Last edited:
So you’re saying that being “good” in an approved manner for two years should allow people to say “**** ‘em” for the rest of their lives? Not pay taxes to support the military, parks, inner cities, etc.? No more volunteer work or charitable contributions later in life?

Sounds like a good way to create entitled masses that don’t give a **** about anyone but themselves.
No, you are putting words in my mouth. And the implied vulgarity…so much for a civil discussion. Have a nice day.

Robert Heinlein proposed something similar in Starship Troopers. If you don't volunteer for public service, you're not eligible to vote.

Robert Heinlein proposed something similar in Starship Troopers. If you don't volunteer for public service, you're not eligible to vote.
I don’t go along with the voting restrictions, as they are unconstitutional. But there are benefits that the government can provide outside constitutional obligations. I just think people should have skin in the game. I actually don’t think it is a whole lot to ask and I think that it would make better citizens out of us all. and I do like Starship troopers also.

I don’t go along with the voting restrictions, as they are unconstitutional. But there are benefits that the government can provide outside constitutional obligations. I just think people should have skin in the game. I actually don’t think it is a whole lot to ask and I think that it would make better citizens out of us all. and I do like Starship troopers also.

I'd be satisfied if there were just a law that only those who paid income tax could vote in federal elections.

Back