Cochlear implants

D

Deaf Pilot

I'm getting to the point where hearing aids are not keeping up with my hearing loss. The next step for me would be cochlear implants. But I can't figure out how to wear a headset with them, since sound would now be captured by these magnetic discs stuck to my scalp. Has anyone heard of a pilot with cochlear implants.

I'm getting to the point where hearing aids are not keeping up with my hearing loss. The next step for me would be cochlear implants. But I can't figure out how to wear a headset with them, since sound would now be captured by these magnetic discs stuck to my scalp. Has anyone heard of a pilot with cochlear implants.
Yup. Perfectly certifiable after an appropriate voice recognition score (70% @ -65 db) and operational commentary from a CFI. In doubtful cases you ride with the inspector.

Yup. Perfectly certifiable after an appropriate voice recognition score (70% @ -65 db) and operational commentary from a CFI. In doubtful cases you ride with the inspector.

Are you talking about the Kansos? I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this as well.

Did a test using my regular headsets and using a Resound Mini-mic that plugged into the avionics on the plane. Worked like a charm. Might be worth testing out.

Isn't the sound captured by the part hanging behind the ear? that magnetic disc is just the connection.... Seems to me that it wouldn't be all that different from a BTE hearing aid.

Now that brings me to my issue...trying to find a headset that cups around the ear wide enough so that the BTE aid is comfortably inside the headset cup.

So Deb, am I correct in assuming this Resound mini mic plugs into the headphone side so it's wired into the intercom then connects to the aids (or Cochlear) with bluetooth?

My Cochlear Processors are the ones that are self-contained disks above my ears. I have the Kanso 2s -- see photo just to give you an idea of what it looks like...https://www.multivu.com/players/Eng...und-processor/image/HERO_1593031611885-HR.jpg (this is not me of course)....

The Mini-mic plugs into the airplane avionic plug where the headset audio plug normally plus into. I just use the microphone jack of my headset so I can transmit.
The Mini-mic is bluetoothed directly to my Kansos.

If you have the processors that hang off your ears, then you can simply find a larger cupped headset so it surrounds it. That's what I did when I wore BTE hearing aids.

Ah, very cool. I had not seen or heard about that type. My wife is an SLP with a degree in Deaf Education. She used to work a lot with kids getting implants, but I think not so much in recent years...and I've only been around a very few folks lately with implants.

Anyway, so I guess you have a setting to turn off the ambient mics when using that mini-mic. It looks like you're just experimenting with that solution. I hope it works out well for you.

What headset did you use when you wore BTE aids?
I haven't flown much at all since I started wearing aids a couple years ago. Just a couple times using my very old Flightcom headset and a couple times just taking off the aids. My loss isn't so bad so I can get away with that but I'm sure to understand communications with them. If/when I start back up again I want to find a better fitting headset that might work with my aids. I'm only concerned because when I use my audio headphones I occasionally will trigger feedback...no all the time, just comes on with no rhyme or reason. The headphones don't fit around my ears well so I figure that's probably part of it....
Anyway, mine are just open dome phonak receivers so the Bluetooth remote mic thing wouldn't work for me....well I take that back...maybe it would if I used some over the ear hearing protectors.....hmmm.....

Newer ones are Bluetooth. You may not need to wear head sets.

I looked into getting BAHAs and they would Bluetooth to your phone. So I’m sure the newer ones would do that.

Ah, very cool. I had not seen or heard about that type. My wife is an SLP with a degree in Deaf Education. She used to work a lot with kids getting implants, but I think not so much in recent years...and I've only been around a very few folks lately with implants.

Anyway, so I guess you have a setting to turn off the ambient mics when using that mini-mic. It looks like you're just experimenting with that solution. I hope it works out well for you.

What headset did you use when you wore BTE aids?
I haven't flown much at all since I started wearing aids a couple years ago. Just a couple times using my very old Flightcom headset and a couple times just taking off the aids. My loss isn't so bad so I can get away with that but I'm sure to understand communications with them. If/when I start back up again I want to find a better fitting headset that might work with my aids. I'm only concerned because when I use my audio headphones I occasionally will trigger feedback...no all the time, just comes on with no rhyme or reason. The headphones don't fit around my ears well so I figure that's probably part of it....
Anyway, mine are just open dome phonak receivers so the Bluetooth remote mic thing wouldn't work for me....well I take that back...maybe it would if I used some over the ear hearing protectors.....hmmm.....

To answer your questions:

-- yes, I am able to turn off ambient mics so I only get what's coming through the mini-mic. THat's the nice part.

-- about what headsets I used when I had BTE hearing aids...it was a Sigtronics S-20. They had gel-pads and were very comfy around my ears.

If you don't have bluetooth capabililtes, then you can try those headsets and use the T switch on your hearin aid or CI. I think the Sigtronic headsets allowed for use with telecoil in hearing aids. Worth a try.

My phonaks do have bluetooth & T-Coil. Never dawned on my to try that with the headsets. Brilliant!
I bluetooth with my cell phone and it uses the mics in the hearing aids for the call. Works really well. Wouldn't work so well in the noisy cockpit though....
I'll have to play around with the T-Coil and see if it's better than no aids at all or better than the aids trying to pick up the headset through the mics.

My phonaks do have bluetooth & T-Coil. Never dawned on my to try that with the headsets. Brilliant!
I bluetooth with my cell phone and it uses the mics in the hearing aids for the call. Works really well. Wouldn't work so well in the noisy cockpit though....
I'll have to play around with the T-Coil and see if it's better than no aids at all or better than the aids trying to pick up the headset through the mics.

let me know how you make out. My motto: "Where there's a will, there's a way"...

How did you do with this? Were you able to use the T-coils?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back