CO2 sensor

odachoo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Odachoo
Did it ever happen to anyone that CO2 alarm goes off when climbing through layers? A club member claims that he had CO2 alarm goes off when climbing through 'smoked' layer! Its hard to imagine, but just wanted to ask it here anyways.

My carbon monoxide detector shows me the reading when it’s >5ppm, and I have once noticed it rise slightly when flying through smoke. If memory serves, that was one of the fires near Sonoma in NorCal last year. I don’t remember the exact reading but it did not get high enough to alarm (which is 35ppm). Went right back to zero after moving past the area.

CO2 sensors are up there with Dihydrogen Monooxide sensors in my phone! Freaking Apple wouldn't fix the phone saying some crazy thing about that sensor being tripped!

Many people do not take the time to understand Dihydrogen Monoxide, and what it means to their lives and the lives of their families.

You may not always recognize that you have been a victim of accidental DHMO overdose, so here are some signs and symptoms to look for. If you suspect Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose, or if you exhibit any of these symptoms, you should consult with your physician or medical practitioner. The data presented here is provided for informational purposes only, and should in no way be construed as medical advice of any sort.

Watch for these symptoms:
  • Excessive sweating
  • Excessive urination
  • Bloated feeling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Electrolyte imbalance
  • Hyponatremia (serum hypotonicity)
  • Dangerously imbalanced levels of ECF and ICF in the blood
  • Degeneration of sodium homeostasis
A recently noted medical phenomenon involves small amounts of DHMO leaking or oozing from the corners of the eyes as a direct result of causes such as foreign particulate irritation, allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock, and sometimes severe chemical depression.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.!!

Many people do not take the time to understand Dihydrogen Monoxide, and what it means to their lives and the lives of their families.

You may not always recognize that you have been a victim of accidental DHMO overdose, so here are some signs and symptoms to look for. If you suspect Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose, or if you exhibit any of these symptoms, you should consult with your physician or medical practitioner. The data presented here is provided for informational purposes only, and should in no way be construed as medical advice of any sort.

• Excessive sweating
  • Excessive urination
  • Bloated feeling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Electrolyte imbalance
A recently noted medical phenomenon involves small amounts of DHMO leaking or oozing from the corners of the eyes as a direct result of causes such as foreign particulate irritation, allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock, and sometimes severe chemical depression.

Ban it now!!!!! :D

Whenever my CO2 alarm goes off I take a swig of pop soda sodapop Coke and that quiets it down.

• Excessive sweating
  • Excessive urination
  • Bloated feeling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Electrolyte imbalance

Sounds complicated. Could you water it down for me?

OSHA says 8 hours @50ppm for eight hours is permissible

. Health effects from exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm are uncertain, but most people will not experience any symptoms. Some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms may become more noticeable (headache, fatigue, nausea). As CO levels increase above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.

m various sources, including the NFPA:

Level of CO Health Effects, and Other Information
0 PPM Normal, fresh air.
9 PPM Maximum recommended indoor CO level (ASHRAE).
10-24 PPM Possible health effects with long-term exposure.

Pocket CO TWA warning sounds each hour.
50 PPM Maximum permissible exposure in workplace (OSHA).
First Pocket CO ALARM starts (optional, every 20 seconds).
100 PPM Slight headache after 1-2 hours.
125 PPM Second Pocket CO ALARM starts (every 10 seconds).
200 PPM Dizziness, naseau, fagitue, headache after 2-3 hours of exposure.
400 PPM Headache and nausea after 1-2 hours of exposure.
Life threatening in 3 hours.
Third Pocket CO ALARM starts (every 5 seconds).
800 PPM Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 45 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 1 hour of exposure.
Death within 2-3 hours.
1000 PPM Loss of consciousness after 1 hour of exposure.
1600 PPM Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 20 minutes of exposure.
Death within 1-2 hours.
3200 PPM Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 5-10 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 30 minutes of exposure.
Death within 1 hour.
6400 PPM Death within 30 minutes.
12,800 PPM Immediate physiological effects, unconsciousness.
Death within 1-3 minutes of exposure.

Oxy-Acetylene welding in my shop during the winter will trip the household CO detector in pretty short order. I wouldn't be surprised to find similar in the smoke of a wildfire.

Oxy-Acetylene welding in my shop during the winter will trip the household CO detector in pretty short order. I wouldn't be surprised to find similar in the smoke of a wildfire.
Indeed yes. CO is a product of incomplete combustion not only of petroleum products and hydrocarbons but also of wood, paper, and most organic materials.

Back