Clouds

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I’m a very low time pilot. Saw these from the ground, are they lenticular, indicative of mountain waves? If so, how far out from them does one stay? Thanks.25F9739F-4411-4F19-BD92-27AADC7E118B.jpeg187D7310-D57A-49BE-BC38-1843988B1AB5.jpeg61588F2F-4D03-45FA-9ABC-206C4F609C1E.jpeg

Attachments

• 97D38F33-8491-4F6B-B180-A9DAC891146C.jpeg
    97D38F33-8491-4F6B-B180-A9DAC891146C.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 166
None of those clouds would scare me or really appear to be wave, at least to me. Not that cloud identification is a topic I claim any sort of knowledge.

Regarding how far one should stay from mountain wave I think much depends on the climb rate ability of the aircraft you are flying. I would be much more cautious in a C-150 than the airplane pictured in my avatar. Typically I try to stay 2000 feet above the peak or ridge I am approaching.

Lenticular clouds would be smaller, I think, and more clearly shaped like a lens. I am no expert, but I've always associated lenticular clouds with the Rocky Mountains. I am sure you can get some interesting winds and turbulence from the Appalachians, but, depending on your airplane, you may be able to easily climb way above that.

Thanks everyone.

I would call them Lenticulars. Wave By itself is usually pretty smooth. The Sailplanes like to park in the upwind side of them reach some very High altitudes in a smooth air climb.

The last Video below demonstrate that Clouds are not a requirement for Wave or Rotor, I haven't watched it in detail but it appears to be a very good tutorial on Mountain Wave and Rotor. at 10:39 he flies out of the Rotor into the Laminar smooth wave.
I have frequently used Wave to improve my climb rate when flying Skydivers.

I suspect you are looking at some pretty low velocity wave action with not a lot of turbulence. Where you will find the Turbulence is pretty much directly underneath them in the form Rotor.
But the determining factor for turbulence is wind speed if the winds aloft are under 20kts, it probably isn't going to be that turbulent.
upload_2023-2-27_17-58-31.png or upload_2023-2-27_17-58-59.png

https://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/SoaringRx/Perlan/2019-05-Perlan-2-Glider.pdf

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

They looked like lenticular to me also. You don’t have to have Rockies size mountains to get some pretty significant turbulence if the winds are high.

We get them in the East, too. This is over Mt. Washington:
upload_2023-2-27_19-5-40.png

I am sure you can get some interesting winds and turbulence from the Appalachians, but, depending on your airplane, you may be able to easily climb way above that.

Really?

FYI, I did a flight to 18,000 MSL off of mountain wave in WV. Guys who got off earlier made it to 21,000.

True, but I suspect that MOST people here do not fly aircraft that would.

Mine will, but I cannot. :)

This was in West virginia/Virginia area, I think along 220. yes mountains were around.
Photo says it was Holsopple PA.

The highest elevation in West Virginia is only about 5000 ft. No Lenticulars in WV.

The highest elevation in West Virginia is only about 5000 ft. No Lenticulars in WV.

You need to study more about mountain waves and lenticular clouds.

Current glider altitude record is 50,727 feet. Not many mountains that high.

And did you read my earlier post? I personally have been to 18,000 feet in a glider in WV.

You need to study more about mountain waves and lenticular clouds.

Current glider altitude record is 50,727 feet. Not many mountains that high.

And did you read my earlier post? I personally have been to 18,000 feet in a glider in WV.
Exception to every rule, but a very rare event that usually makes the national news over the eastern mountains.

Last edited:
Exception to every rule, but a very rare event that usually makes the national news over the eastern mountains.

Lenticular clouds make the national news where you're from?

Nope. Local glider operator used to do annual wave camps in WV. It happens all the time.

Back